Elk M1 Gold - Areas help

richardfj

Just in the middle of bench testing my system and since this is my first major security system install, I'm learning as I move along ... the one thing I haven't completely figured out yet is 'areas'

The way I understand areas, they are a way to set up sub systems on the same control ... the easiest way for me to understand it would be to think of them as departments in a company ... I'm assuming you assign different zones to different areas and I understand that Area 1 can be used as a common area (such as a lobby for a company that is shared by many departments) ... is this about right?

If so, are there any natural uses for areas in a realatively small (3 bedroom) private home? Or should I just stick to a one area system? I would like to have the opportunity to set up limited access to parts of the property such as the backyard for the pool guy etc. without giving access to the home. Are areas the right way to do this? Also, I'd like to set up a motion detector perimeter on the property that doesn't trigger a burglar alarm, but rather just a verbal warning ... how should I best design this?

Lastly, are there any good resources out there for designing alarm systems, especially using the M1G? It seems that there are such a huge array of features and possibilities ... I could use some experienced minds to help harness the full potential.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

One way to interpret the idea of areas is this:

Each area is a stand-alone security system. Each area must have at least one keypad, and each area is armed and disarmed separately. However, the areas do share the common controller, power supply, and siren outputs.

I think most average homes just use 1 area. Unless the pool guy is going to have a code and keypad to disarm just the backyard I don't think an area will help there. For the perimeter, you can setup motions as a non alarm or aux zone and either use the built in words for an announcement or can use TTS on a software system complement like CQC.

I think you already found the best resource ;). You can find alot here by just perusing the forums, searching or just ask away...

Steve said:
Unless the pool guy is going to have a code and keypad to disarm just the backyard I don't think an area will help there.
The backyard is actually a fairly enclosed area, that I was planning on treating as inside the perimeter, probably with just one motion sensor covering the patio door and a contact sensor covering the back gate (there is an 8' wood fence around this fairly small area, with one gate in it).

If I wanted to give the pool guy or someone else access to the backyard without giving them access to the house ... would I have to set it up as an area? Or is there a different way of doing this?

Sandpiper said:
One way to interpret the idea of areas is this:

Each area is a stand-alone security system. Each area must have at least one keypad, and each area is armed and disarmed separately. However, the areas do share the common controller, power supply, and siren outputs.
That helps ... kind of what I was thinking, but that clarifies it.

Thankis

Back