ELK M1 Gold - Controlling Door Lock from ELK Keypad

I want to be able to unlock the door that goes from the Garage into the house. To be clear, this is not an exterior door, but rather a door between the garage and house. The door locks are controlled by the ELK M1.

I'm wondering what the options are for controlling the door lock from a keypad in the garage. Ideally, I'd like to automate the sequence:
  1. enter any disarm code into Garage Keypad
  2. Unlock House-to-Garage door.
Is something like this possible? If not, could I use a keypad function key to unlock the door and set a rule for that button to only work when the system is disarmed?

I'd like to use mini Decora-style keypad if possible (ELM M1KPAS ) if possible but could use a full keypad instead if necessary.

Thanks in advance!

If the door lock is already controlled by the M1, everything that you are describing is possible. Just how is the M1 currently controlling the door lock?

The door is unlocked via contact closure. So close the relay on the Elk controller and the lock unlocks. I have past experience with HAI Omni, but in the process of installing a new Elk system.

What Im trying to figure out is how to tie a specific keypad to a specific lock. There are 2 garages, each with its own lock and keypad. I want to make sure that disarming from garage 1 keypad unlocks only garage 1 house door. And that if the system is already disarmed, disarming again will still send the unlock conmand.

The closest solution I can find is WHENEVER  ACCESS,  but I am not sure if it will work with just entering the PIN versus a prox reader.   https://www.elkproducts.com/door_entry_control.html  

You might also try to use a separate user/pin to trigger or resort to assigning the F key to unlock.

Code:
WHENEVER ACCESS KP1 IS TRIGGERED

WHENVEVER areax ARM STATE BECOMES DISARMED
AND LAST USER WAS userx

WHENEVER KEY F1 ON KEYPADx ACTIVATES
AND areax ARM STATE = DISARMED

Elk uses a simple programming language to customize control of it's outputs. Programming is performed using a program called ElkRp2. In order for you to customize the way that your Elk controls your locks you're going to need to learn both RP2 and it's programming language .

The first thing that you will need to do is to download and install the program. Then you need to create a customer account in the program for your system. Then you can import all of the settings from your system to that customer account.

At this point you will need to explore this account to become familiar with your system settings and any programming that may already exist. Once you get that far we can get involved in actually programming the locks.I'm a little rusty with programming the Elk but I'll help if I can and there are others here who I'm sure will kick in.

Mike.

Thanks all for your help. 

This I've registered and downloaded RP2. I don't have an Elk M1 to test with yet. I'm getting ready to place the order, I need to figure out the keypad requirements for the garage to be able to unlock the doors. I'm hoping to do that without Card Readers, but I'll go that route if I have to.

The WHENEVER  ACCESS option sounds promising. Hopefully, it doesn't require a Card Reader keypad. That would be OPTION 1.

As OPTION 2, could I create a script that runs like this:
  1. Enter any disarm code (even is system is disarmed)
  2. Set a flag and a 10 second countdown timer starts
  3. If the flag is active and the F key is pushed, unlock door
  4. Once the timer expires, the flag is cleared, and the F key is no longer active
And as OPTION 3, could I:
  1. create a user called "Door 1"
  2. Whenever the code for Door 1 is entered, unlock door 1
  3. Set a timer/flag for 1 minute
  4. When timer/flag turns off, lock the door

Sorry, my frame of reference is PC Access for HAI Omni, and I haven't figured out the capabilities of Elk RP2.

What type of automated lock do you have? Is it an electric door strike? Is it fail safe or fail secure? I would choose to have a fail secure door strike so that it behaves like an ordinary door until you energize the door strike allowing the door to open.

I don't believe that the M1kpas has a 12v output but the other keypads do have just one. They probably put it there for just this purpose.

mikefamig said:
What type of automated lock do you have? Is it an electric door strike? Is it fail safe or fail secure? I would choose to have a fail secure door strike so that it behaves like an ordinary door until you energize the door strike allowing the door to open.

I don't believe that the M1kpas has a 12v output but the other keypads do have just one. They probably put it there for just this purpose.

It's an electric door strike, fail secure (locked), and with a fully operable interior handle that opens whether the strike is locked or not. I was planning to have the lock controlled by relays at the M1. It's nice to know that the full keypads have a 12V output that can be used for this, should I decide to install full keypads at each door. For aesthetics, I'd rather not have the full (kinda ugly) keypads at each door.

Carlton Bale said:
Thanks all for your help. 

This I've registered and downloaded RP2. I don't have an Elk M1 to test with yet. I'm getting ready to place the order, I need to figure out the keypad requirements for the garage to be able to unlock the doors. I'm hoping to do that without Card Readers, but I'll go that route if I have to.

The WHENEVER  ACCESS option sounds promising. Hopefully, it doesn't require a Card Reader keypad. That would be OPTION 1.

As OPTION 2, could I create a script that runs like this:
  1. Enter any disarm code (even is system is disarmed)
  2. Set a flag and a 10 second countdown timer starts
  3. If the flag is active and the F key is pushed, unlock door
  4. Once the timer expires, the flag is cleared, and the F key is no longer active
And as OPTION 3, could I:
  1. create a user called "Door 1"
  2. Whenever the code for Door 1 is entered, unlock door 1
  3. Set a timer/flag for 1 minute
  4. When timer/flag turns off, lock the door

Sorry, my frame of reference is PC Access for HAI Omni, and I haven't figured out the capabilities of Elk RP2.

One or more of those should work. For 'flags' we typically use phantom relays.  As  you can set  them to  a state for a period of time.

Go to Elk.com and download the manuals for the Mikpas, M1kp and the m1kp2/3. There are good pictures of them there and full details. M1kp has more F-keys and a built-in thermometer and is surface mount. The kp2 and kp3 are flush mount.

Mike.

Understand that the 12v output from the keypad is a low level signal used to switch a relay. The relay would then switch a power supply to energize the door strike.

Mike.

mikefamig said:
Understand that the 12v output from the keypad is a low level signal used to switch a relay. The relay would then switch a power supply to energize the door strike.

Mike.
Given this and the fact that the lock will be powered by the same power supply as the ELK, probably should just use the Elk relay at the main controller.

Carlton Bale said:
Given this and the fact that the lock will be powered by the same power supply as the ELK, probably should just use the Elk relay at the main controller.

You could but itwould require pulling a cable from the Elk to the lock. It is usually a much shorter run from the keypad to the lock.

Carlton Bale said:

If you are going to use the 12v supply from the Elk panel then you can get the 12 volts to energize the door strike from the cat 5 cable at the keypad. Before doing this you should make sure that the panel has enough power to do the job. Elk has a spreadsheet that you can download that will help you calculate whether the panel has enough power.

What the spreadsheet does is to add up all of the current used buy all of the devices connected to the panel in order to ensure that you don't over-load the panel's power supply.

https://www.elkproducts.com/Owner_support_tools.html

Mike.

I talked to ELK tech support and they confirmed everything you all suggested. The key point was to setup a unique access-only user with a specific PIN code / Weigand code and then use this rule:

WHENEVER ACCESS KP1 IS TRIGGERED

AND LAST USER WAS userx

This can be triggered from a standard ELK keypad or through an attached Weigand reader. Entering the PIN/Card for the access-only user will create an Access Control event, and that event can be for a specific keypad (or for all keypads.) The code above links that access-only user to a specific command (i.e. activate relay controlling a specific door for 10 seconds.)

Back