ELK M1 Keypad install help

I am at the point where I am going to be installing the keypad. I have 2 Cat 5 wires home run between where the keypad is going and where the Elk is located. When I reviewed the instructions it shows I need to connect to an M1DBH. Is there a way to connect the keypad via cat 5 without this? How do the colored wires match up and what is the best way to strip cat 5 wires without cutting them? Sorry if this is very noobish but any help is appreciated.

Welcome to CT!

The manual should show in great detail how to do this without the databus hub. The M1DBH makes thing easy, but is not required. If you can't find it in the manual, let us know.

I guess my question is, does it matter what colors I use from the Cat 5 or just that I am consistant? I am also confused with the diagram what I am to do with the Brown and Blue wire from the keypad?

The manual should show that those 2 wires from the keypad are not used right now. I believe you can pick your own colors (been a while since I did this without a DBH), just make sure you are consistent.

I don't have the manual in front of me but if I remember those may be the optional pairs (for prox reader or zone alarm to check if someone cut the wire).

The brown and blue wires are for an optional zone input and output trigger from the keypad. Just don't use them. Pick your own colors, but as you say be consistent. I use +12V = Orange, Data A = Green, Data B = Blue, and Negative = Brown.

I hook up the pair for each color so if you need to daisy chain to the next keypad or expander you have the wire back at the M1 control box.

Remember RS-485 data buses are serially wired, one device to the next with terminating resistors at either end of the data bus run. If you only have one keypad on the data bus, put a terminating resistor at the keypad and at the M1 control.

Have fun!!

MrGibbage said:
Here's a pdf of my wiring diagram. I have three keypads (KP2's) and the M1XSP serial expansion port. Maybe it will help, and maybe it won't.

Skip

http://pelorus.org/WiringDiagram.pdf (1.2 Mb)
I am also figuring this out for my system (I have 1 keypad and 3 serial expanders all wired to my control panel w/cat 5)....I like your pic, looks like what I need to do.... Which devices in your pic have terminating resitors? Thx!

providince said:
MrGibbage said:
Here's a pdf of my wiring diagram. I have three keypads (KP2's) and the M1XSP serial expansion port. Maybe it will help, and maybe it won't.

Skip

http://pelorus.org/WiringDiagram.pdf (1.2 Mb)
I am confused on the terminating resistors. I only have one keypad and nothing else. What would that look like?
If all you have is the keypad then you want to have the terminating resistor set on the keypad and on the set on the ELK controller (JP3).

The upstairs KP and the Front Door KP have the terminating resistors. You can see from the wiring diagram that they are at the end of the line. I was really having a hard time keeping all the wires and colors straight until I drew this up.

MrGibbage said:
The upstairs KP and the Front Door KP have the terminating resistors. You can see from the wiring diagram that they are at the end of the line. I was really having a hard time keeping all the wires and colors straight until I drew this up.
Curious why not just use one of the two types of data base hubs availaible? I used the DBHR as I don't like crimping RJ-45 ends. Very simple and really helped keep things straight (three keypads and two zone expanders in my case).

That would certainly make things easier, but in my case, this was a one-time shot. It's hooked up, it works, and I don't have to mess with it any more. If I had much more to hook up to it, I would probably go that route. But with careful planning, it actually wasn't all that difficult.

BraveSirRobbin said:
MrGibbage said:
Curious why not just use one of the two types of data base hubs availaible? I used the DBHR as I don't like crimping RJ-45 ends. Very simple and really helped keep things straight (three keypads and two zone expanders in my case).
Done....pretty cheap option and much simplier. Thanks

Back