Elk M1 or Rain8

whoa; i would think for that many zones, it would be far simpler & cleaner to go with the rain8net; with the Elk, you'd have to put in the failsafe rules, deal with 15 outputs & 15 relays.

whoa; i would think for that many zones, it would be far simpler & cleaner to go with the rain8net; with the Elk, you'd have to put in the failsafe rules, deal with 15 outputs & 15 relays.

I'm dealing with this same decision myself. I have 19 zones. I've been playing with an output expander and some relays I have on hand but I also ordered a Rain8 (just one) to see how it works. I'm leaning towards the M1 just because I have some parts on hand and am so familiar with it. But that's a lot of outputs and relays to install in a can in the garage.

But that's a lot of outputs and relays to install in a can in the garage.
Not really. You can easily install that in your 14" can with room to spare - depending of course on if you want to try to make a bunch of 912's work or just use M1RB's. You can stack 3 M1RB's with standoffs and thats all the room it would take - plus a bit of room under or to the side for wire mgmt. It can be made very compact and neat.

I agree it can be done with an Elk but a rain8 wold probably be much simpler. The m1rb's are cheaper though...

I do 10 zones (about to be 11) withjust the elk and i love it...

I don't a slick UI for changing durations/start times from my touchscreen yet... But the capability is there - for me, just pending my decision to build my own, see if i can plug into linuxmce or buy cqc...

For now, i open ElkRP when it starts getting hotter to change the rules... The Rule space used for this isn't that bad either...

thx
-brad

Back