Elk M1 - Rule help please?

thatman

Hey all -

Here's my scenario: My wife and I sleep upstairs. There are 3 windows in the master bedroom/bath that we want the flexibility to open/close without toying with the alarm. Given that our german shepard is also in our room at night, we're fine with the trade-off of convenience vs security.

I want to make this as wife-friendly as possible.

I set up a rule:

WHENEVER F6 KEY ON ANY KEYPAD ACTIVATES
THEN BYPASS Mstr BdRm Wndw 1 (Zn 34)
THEN BYPASS Mstr BdRm Wndw 2 (Zn 35)
THEN BYPASS Mstr Bath Wndw 1 (Zn 36)
THEN ARM AREA(S) 1 TO STAY INSTANT IMMEDIATELY

I just tried it with my living room patio door open. Instead of dis-allowing me from arming the system since there was a valid breach -- the living room patio door should never be bypassed -- it just bypassed the living room patio door.

It seems like via F6, anything that is violated will just be bypassed.

The only zones marked "Bypassable" are 34, 35, 36.

Obviously I screwed up the rule somehow. Can anyone please help?

EDIT: For clarity, if it's possible to repurpose the STAY button for my goal, I'd be happy (happier actually) with that, since the default STAY button appears on the Navigator keypad home screen.

Is your patio door zone set for force arm capability? Try un-checking the force arm box if it is. Just guessing here...

The patio door is just an example. I just tried with several windows open and the front door open. F6 put everything that was violated into bypass mode and armed.

I haven't done a lot of testing in this area, but I do remember that arming by rule treats just about everything as force arm (different than a bypass because if the zone becomes secure after the fact, it will start being monitored).

You could potentially make this a tad easier and just use rules to automatically bypass the upstairs windows at a certain time at night, only if the house is not currently armed (like if you're gone) - so that by the time you want to hit the Stay button, the windows are already bypassed.  Or you could add some AND values to ensure that the system is "ready to arm" after the windows are bypassed BEFORE trying to arm.

I'm thinking bypass the windows, then check to make sure the house is "ready to arm" - and if so, then arm to stay instant.

Could you just make your BR windows force armable and interior?  I don't know for sure, haven't tried this application.

Work2Play said:
  Or you could add some AND values to ensure that the system is "ready to arm" after the windows are bypassed BEFORE trying to arm.

How can I add the rules in that order? When I try to add the AND, it adds it to the first whenever.

While not as WAF, but rather than doing the boolean shuffle and try to do the cause/effect and test, you could just have the F6 bypass the windows and then have the stay key.

There's other ways to get there but it's going to require some programming, adding AND's with further testing.

I was going to recommend what DEL did - just 2 buttons... but since there was mention of the navigator and changing screens, I didn't...  figured OP was going for a 1-button push.  I have KP2's so if this comes up in my house, we just [BYPASS]999 then hit arm... works for my wife and I.

For the OP - it seems worse than it is when you think about the rules - but totally guessing based on M1 knowledge without any testing - here's what I'd do:
F6 activates a task - that task bypasses each of the upstairs windows, then fires off a phantom output for 1 second.  That output would have a trigger that says When Turned Off AND House is Ready to Arm, Arm to Night Instant.  That separates things into the right order.  If there's enough room for ELSE type statements (brain is really foggy right now so can't remember) I'd add rules to announce the problem in the event that the house is unable to arm.

If you really wanted to get crazy about this, you could test for these conditions and illuminate the magical F button at night when only the desired bypass zones are violated and none of the others - but that'd take a bit more creativity and rule space (it's what I'd do since I'm prone to overkill).

I would simply add those windows to a separate area (such as area 2) and create rules accordingly...
Absolutely nothing more to think about or do from your current routine makes it WAF :)

As an example:
For away (I'm sure my wording is off...):
whenever area 1 becomes armed away mode then set area 2 armed away immediately
whenever area 1 becomes disarmed then disarm area 2 immediately

For stay:
...nothing as area 2 is not being driven by any mode other than away.
Although... I would create a rule for each arm mode (stay/night/instant/etc.) you have for your panel so area 2 is never in limbo.

Also, when you arm by rules any zones in that area are treated as force armed regardless of their settings in RP.

If you ever want to arm those windows while in stay mode then create an F-key for it.

@ Video

Downside is the window area would never be armed in "stay" mode when you put the rules and logic into that equation or add a lot more complexity. In the case of a monitored system, it's going to add a bunch of other items that need to be verified and looked at (account #, RC's, etc.)

Sorry - been busy with work...

Here's a sample of what I'd probably toss in there to accomplish what you're after... this is just done in one of the test accounts, so obviously zone names are wrong.

m1sample.JPG

What if you set the Windows as interior so they are never tripped in stay mode. Sounds like you already have a decent security system already in the room with you anyway (German shepherd)

Work2Play said:
Sorry - been busy with work...

Here's a sample of what I'd probably toss in there to accomplish what you're after... this is just done in one of the test accounts, so obviously zone names are wrong.

attachicon.gif
m1sample.JPG
This seems great. Implementing it now. Thanks!

And thanks to all of you who contributed ideas.

Is there a way to make the "Stay" button do this instead of using an F key?

Back