Elk M1G and Thunderstorm

DJK

Last week, in the middle of the night, a thunderstorm caused the power to flicker and the Elk M1G alarm to sound. Both the ElkM1XSP and Aprilaire 8811 seemed to get fried. There are no entries in the M1 log. The Elk is connected to surge protector, and from what I understand, is powered from the battery. Did lightning hit a cat5 cable?

What can I do to prevent this from occuring again?

If you have an UPS offered surge protection insurance, you could claim from them.
If lightening hit the cat5 cable, it could also cause damage for sure.

What kind of phone connection do you have? I'd say this is the most common way an alarm system gets fried by lightning. If you have POTS, then a phone surge supressor is essential.

No phone line connected, no wires leaving the house, and power on a surge protector. That's why it's such a puzzle.

I'm no Electrical Engineer, but can a near miss near the house "jump" to the LV wiring?

Lightning can do some very bizarre things. I have seen many, many cases where only selected things get fried. It can fry one item and leave a second item next to the first item alone, then hit a third item on the other side of the house, an so on.

Sounds like you have done a reasonable job of protecting your alarm system, but there is no way to be sure, even with additional protection, that it will never happen again. Lightning is just one of those things.

But I have heard this: "Lightning never strikes in the same place twice". So you have that working for you.

I have had problems with this as well. And I can tell you it does indeed do some strange things. I have been using the apc ethernet modules on my databus with no problems, however they didn't stop the last lightening strike either. It does seem to like lv a lot at least for me.

Thanks,

Andy

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering about the network surge protectors, but they don't seem to offer any more protection.

I guess the best option is to order "backup" units and hope for the best over the summer. The proposed "steel cage around the house" got a very low WAF.

Back