ELK M1G integrating with Insteon

sutton7

I have an ELKM1Gold, two M1XSP's, an M1DBH and the ethernet module.

The one M1XSP is tied into my AMP thermostat (via the M1DBH) and works great.

The other M1XSP is updated with the correct firmware for Insteon. As far as I can tell everything is set correctly for the Insteon on the XSP.

I have six insteon devices set up, I have defaulted them all to make sure nothing is conflicting. They are all set up as serial port, and dimmer.

I have defaulted the Smarthome V2 Serial, which is tied into the XSP.

I've (as far as I can tell) followed the instructions on how to enroll each device, and setting the lighting on, to the 256 at the keypad.

The M1XSP never seems to blink the right way. It acks like it never sees anything.
I have used both XSP's in doing this, updating the firmware each time, both are running off the data hub.

It does not do anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Have you gone through the device enrollment process in Installer Programming Menu 01? This is required to put the M1XSP's into the M1 system.

Thanks,

Yes I did. Everything shows up on the "Show keypads and expanders.." screeen.
The one for Insteon has the correct firmware.

I am sure I am doing a step backwords or something, but I can not see it.

sutton7,

I just set up my M1 on the bench last week. I also have 2 xsp's, one hooked up to my RCS TR-40 tstat and the 2nd xsp flashed with the Insteon firmware. Maybe my recent experience might help:

To make sure I got it right I would turn on Light 256 from the keypad, go to the Insteon switch and activate link mode, turn link off and then go back to make sure the LED on the Insteon xsp was flashing correctly indicating it sucessfully received the Insteon address, then I'd turn Light 256 off. I would then turn the newly added light on from the keypad, go back to the switch/light and verify M1 turned it on.

I went through this whole thing separately for each new switch just to make sure everything worked correctly.

For the first 4 switches the LED on the xsp was flashing correctly (3 flashes then 2 seconds off if I remember correctly) indicating a sucessful address capture.

However on the 4th switch when I got back to the xsp after doing the link on/off at the new switch, the LED flash pattern had not changed to the sucessful capture pattern.

After going through a bunch of resets (switch and xsp) etc., I finally discovered by accident that even though the xsp LED might not be displaying the correct pattern it still might have captured the newly added switch sucessfully.

(after this long winded story of mine).. I would suggest that even though the xsp LED flash pattern doesn't come up, go ahead and take it out of link mode (256 off) and try turning on the new switch anyway.

After adding about 12 switches, I had 3 or 4 times where the xsp LED did not indicate a good capture but the switch was added sucessfully anyway.

I did find that adding more than one switch at a time was not stable for me so I stuck with the time consuming process of adding one at a time.

I did discover that you can turn 256 on and off from an interior phone (and not just a keypad) for this process which made adding one switch at a time a lot easier on the opposite side of the house or on another floor.

Good luck..

Back to basics. Turn off M1 power. Measure the resistance across Data A and Data B on the data bus at the M1. It should measure about 65 ohms. Then measure the Data A and Data B on the M1XSP. They should show the same resistance. If not a wiring problem. Make sure on the M1XSP Data A goes to Data A on the M1 and likewise Data B to Data B.

Thanks for the replys.

I turned M1 power off and have 47 ohms between A and B at the data bus on the M1.
I have 43.5 ohms between A and B on each of the XSP's.

To double check the wiring, I switched places with my two XSP's. So I was using the other XSPs wire and jack going into the DBH. The Insteon still does not communicate, but the thermostat works as normal. That did not seem to make any difference. I believe the wiring is ok since the thermostat works with both sets of wires, I could be assuming wrong on that. I can control the thermostat via the Ethernet port.

On the DBH I have the two XSP's and two keypads.

One thing I did do late last night. I probably should not have tried this. I unplugged the 2414S and went to the keypad and turned on 256. Then I plugged in the 2414S. The light on the XSP changed just a little. So, I ran to the first switch and tried to enroll it. I went to the keypad turned off 256 and tried the switch number one and it worked. It was controlling the switch.

However, in my zeal to duplicate that...I tried doing the same thing again, not thinking through the fact that it was communicating. I unplugged the 2414S again and tried the same thing. Now nothing works again. I defaulted everything back again (as far as I can tell) and can not get it to communicate at all. I am not sure why it worked, but it did work once.

Thanks for your thoughts...

I'm not sure if it affects anything, but did you define light 256 with the InsteonStore name using ElkRP? It was the one detail I did not see you make (but may or may not be required).

A few tests I did to confirm Insteon functionality:

1. Get a controllinc and plug it in by the control and try to control lights on other circuits. If it does not work that might be a start.

2. I moved a signallinc to that circuit and then put another one upstairs and linked the two per instructions.

3. Check that you put the right firmware for the XSP (probably not this, but if I remember correctly it wont default to the Insteon version when upgrading as it has the 50 version. I have not checked the most recent firmware upgrades yet either so this might not be the case anymore either).

4. Once you get them setup, make sure you change the type of the light to serial expander (I missed this at first in my haste to get Insteon control).

Before you try and learn a device, how is the XSP blinking? It sounded like it was not blinking as expected to begin with which might be a clue.

I don't know if it is related or not but I have a 2414S that seems to be establishing links ok, but cannot send group broadcasts. It accepts the command but does nothing with it (and sends nothing over the powerline). I have tried factory resets, coreapp reloads, etc but no-go. I'm not using this with an Elk M1, but just with the Smarthome Device Manager.

Does the Elk use group broadcasts to turn on lights?

Thanks again for all these great thoughts.

I am guessing the problem is with the 2414S, but I do not know enough on how to trouble shoot it.

I do not have a Controllink. When I purchased Insteon, I got all I thought I needed for it to work with the M1. Beside my switches and the 2414S, I have the two SignaLinc RF 2442. These two are on two separate Phases in the house and were set up per instructions. When I first got these and tried to set them up, I accidentally linked a few of the switches together. So, I was turning on the Kitchen light in the bedroom. I have defaulted them all back, but I mention that because it does appear that they were "talking" across phases.

Is a Controllink something that I really should have? Ultimately I want to learn this well enough to install in customers homes. This is my "learning" trial on my own house. (I have a lot to learn!)

I have 256 setup as "InsteonLink Modâ€. I just ran through and changed it to InsteonStore. It did not make a difference.

I double checked the firmware, it is 50.0.18.
All the lights are set up as Serial Expanders.

As far as the blinking, I have only seen it alter its blinking once. That is when I was able to control one switch. (Earlier post).

To me it appears that the M1 can not communicate with the 2414S.
My guess is either something with the 2414S is not right or some simple setting that I am just overlooking...

Thanks

I heard reports that the firmware in the 2414s could become corrupt. I had no such issue so I did not pursue it further. I am assuming there is software to reload it on a PC, but mine was plug and play and I have not hooked up PC connectivity yet so I have not drilled down on this yet.

I did a quick look and only saw the installation guide on the website. The SALad references are all from the SDK, perhaps that is what is needed. I am sure another reader here can fill in some details on this though so you can rule this out.

On the blinking I was wondering if you noted the current blink pattern, if it was not normal that might yield another symptom to try and trace out.

Mike said:
I heard reports that the firmware in the 2414s could become corrupt.
Where did you see this? It sounds like this could be my problem with sending group broadcasts. I've been posting questions on the Insteon Developer's forum but it appears that Smarthome has ceased responding to questions.

Sorry I started trying to find the reference and got distracted, I'm trying to track it down now.

Ok, thanks Mike. I just checked out those two threads and as I already knew, the coreapp can become corrupted, but is easily reloaded. Your earlier post was saying that the firmware could become corrupted, which kind of surprised me and would not normally be field repairable. It appears that you probably meant to say coreapp originally.

I'll have to wait and see if anyone from Smarthome responds on the SDK forum.

Back