Elk M1G not speaking all troubles?

SkyBolt

I have an M1 set up in a testing mode, no key pad but RP hooked up and running through the onboard serial port.

I have 4 zones configured as EOL Supervised/RF with 1 - 4 wire smoke detector and 1 CO. Zone 1 4wire smoke, zone 2 4wire CO, zone 3 & 4 conigured but nothing attached not even an EOLR.

The smoke trigger a alarm and when power is pulled anounce the fire trouble. When the CO's power is pulled no voice only shows in the status screen. If I set the CO zone for fire without changeing any wireing it works fine. set it back to CO it will not anounce. Also when I boot the M1 i only anounces Keypad trouble, and ignores zones 3 & 4. I have hooked up 3 & 4 and they work fine for smokes/burg ect.

This is just a trest bed trying to get a feel for what to expect. Prior to ordering the rest of what I need o complete my system.

I have the Globals set to anounce all troubles. G20-G25 and G10 checked as well.

I can not figure out what I missed??? Any Ideas?

Thanks,
-Skybolt

I can't say what your problems are - you seem to have everything right.

I will say that when I power up my M1 I always get a CO alarm because my CO unit needs to initialize which takes several seconds. The alarm is a voice message - the alarm sounder does not trip.

It may be your CO detector output contacts only change when CO is detected - NOT when power is lost.

You might try adding a rule that when the CO becomes not secure - say something or turn on output #3 or something that will give you an indication that it's picking up the CO condition.

If you have a keypad I would connect and enroll it - perhaps the M1 doesn't like operating without at least one :p The kaypad may also display messages that will be helpful in trouble shooting your tests.

One last thing - you may want to reserve a few of the lower (1-16) zones for temperature sensors and/or 2 wire smokes.

The M1 should still announce a trouble if the EOL is removed from the circuit is what I think Skybolt means. It announces some troubles but not all from what I read into the posting.

Cant figure out why that would happen if the settings are all correct.

carry15 said:
...It may be your CO detector output contacts only change when CO is detected - NOT when power is lost...

If you have a keypad I would connect and enroll it - perhaps the M1 doesn't like operating without at least one :p The kaypad may also display messages that will be helpful in trouble shooting your tests...
Thanks for your response.

The CO is hooked up with an EOLR and Relay for a "Supervised" Zone. According to the Directions it wires up like a supervised Smoke dector.

You are correct - eventhough I do not have a keypad,elk RP shows the Keypad troubles and the CO shows up in the status window, but that still does not explain why it is not anounced.

As for the keypad - I may not use one, only an arming station along with the IP module for my touchscreens. I only plan on using the ELk for monitoring at the moment. Not for burg type stuff.

Thanks,
-Skybolt

I just did a test on my test bench and Fire Trouble is a primary trouble condition and announces fire trouble. The other 24 hour troubles are indicated on the keypad and with beeps, but no voice announcements.

Update: I heard one of the engineers getting CO Trouble announcements this afternoon. I will have to investigate further to see what they were doing.

Spanky said:
I just did a test on my test bench and Fire Trouble is a primary trouble condition and announces fire trouble. The other 24 hour troubles are indicated on the keypad and with beeps, but no voice announcements.
Bummer - is that by design? It seems a little missleading. All of the "Global" enables for voice seem to indicate that everything in the panel can be spoken. G24 states "Enable zone trouble messages", I am a little confussed regarding the "Global Voice" messages. The manual doe not seem to outline what is spoken and what is not. Can you clarify this?

BTW - thanks for the qick response.

Thanks,
-Skybolt

You can easily create a rule for a Carbon Monoxide Trouble Announcement. Something like: "When Zone xx (Carbon Monoxide zone) is NOT SECURE OPEN then announce Miscellaneous 10 for example. Then program the 6 words under Voices/Miscellaneous that you want to be spoken for Misc 10 such as [800 hz tone], Warning, [200 ms Silence], Carbon Monoxide, Zone, Trouble.

bphillips said:
You can easily create a rule for a Carbon Monoxide Trouble Announcement. ...
Thanks, I have not gotten that far yet, didn't know you could do that. That will come in handy for the motion zones.

Back