ELK M1G Phone line trouble

sandman

Hi ALL

Having an interesting issue with an intermittent phone fault issue. I have **totally** rewired the incomming phone line in an attempt to nail this issue however after replacing the cable and also having the M1G replaced due to another issue, this problem is still plaguing me. Here are the steps that are causing the issue.

1) Force a dial test to base station via keypad with internal speakers
2) Panel appears not to loop the line, little box in keypad seems to spin
3) I call the house number and the panel seizes the line and then sends a bunch of tones looking for sync. I can tell as I can hear through the house speakers
4) I hangup the mobile, within 10 seconds the panel now loops the line, dials the base, sends the report and gets kiss off, I can hear all this via house speakers.

As for the phone line configuration, I have a central ADSL splitter (which I have replaced) and the only phone device is a PC PBX card on the line, nothing else. The socket appears to be in the correct mode configuration as the line is dead when the panel has seized the line.

Just the other day I also noted the keypad showing "phone fault", why I have no idea, the panel was showing a voltage of 85v for the phone line. This lasted for about 20 mins and then disappeared, suspect it may have done a dial test successfully which cleared the fault.

I forgot to mention, the base is expecting a call within 7 days and they havent called me so I suspect the M1G is dialing out correctly however when I force the test manually, it borks....and the intermittent phone fault has got me stumped.

Anyone have any pointers ?

Thanks..Pete

Check out the telephone line:

1. Go to keypad menu 8, LAST ON HOOK TELEPHONE VOLTAGE. It should be above 40 volts. You need to view what the control is seeing as far as a voltage not the voltage on the telephone line with a voltmeter. Should a component in the telephone interface be damaged, it could be pulling the telephone line down internally and causing a Phone Fault.

2. Send a test signal to the Central Monitoring Station with the Butt Set Mode Turned ON. This allows you to hear the tone progress through Output 1 speakers.

To get a telephone fault: The telephone voltage is gone or very low or a signal to the central station did not get through. You can look into the log is see what log messages are there.

Check out the telephone line:

1. Go to keypad menu 8, LAST ON HOOK TELEPHONE VOLTAGE. It should be above 40 volts. You need to view what the control is seeing as far as a voltage not the voltage on the telephone line with a voltmeter. Should a component in the telephone interface be damaged, it could be pulling the telephone line down internally and causing a Phone Fault.

2. Send a test signal to the Central Monitoring Station with the Butt Set Mode Turned ON. This allows you to hear the tone progress through Output 1 speakers.

To get a telephone fault: The telephone voltage is gone or very low or a signal to the central station did not get through. You can look into the log is see what log messages are there.

I've had a similar issue surface approximately 4 weeks ago. I installed my system over a year ago and there have been no changes made that I could relate to the issue. Can't get the fault to go away. I am connected to a Motorola VoIP router, which has worked fine all along. Tried to reset unit, check wires etc. The line has about 42VDC, can't say if that has changed since prior +/-. The unit is bridging the line to phone fine, since phones connected to output are working just fine. Checked my keypad for above line voltage and it states 0VDC +/- 20%. When unit tries to pick up line it has no dial tone. Suggestions?

... Bump ...

Do I have a defective panel on my hands? Are there board diagnostics I can run to determine for sure if its a board failure?

Thanks

Back