Elk M1XEP & changing routers

IVB

In keeping with the ethernet angst that seems to be going around with the Elk, I just switched my SMC router yesterday (192.168.2.x) with a Linksys router (192.168.1.x). I thought all I'd have to do is power cycle everything in order to grab new IP's, but the M1XEP isn't re-asking for another IP addr.

I've been trying to figure out how to reset it, I know I saw it in a manual somewhere but i'll be damned if I can find it.

Q1) Any clues how to reset that M1XEP to force it to get another IP?
Q2) Any other ideas?

Thx.

Tried that, can't "find" it in ElkRP. Furthermore, my router doesn't claim the M1XEP even has an IP addr. I'm trying to determine whether the M1XEP isn't re-asking for an IP addr, or if the router is deny'ing the request. There's nothing in the router logs indicating a denial, which leads me to believe the M1XEP isn't re-asking.

Add a second static IP address to your PC temporarily that is in the same subnet as the old address of the elk (something like 192.168.1.12). Your PC should be able to talk to it then. (Are you sure you don't have your elk set up on a static ip address? Otherwise it should have grabbed a new IP from your router even if it was on a different subnet than before.

edit: I think if you are using dhcp on your pc then you may need to turn it off and use 2 static ip addresses, one in each subnet until you get things straightened out.

It sounds like your XEP has a static IP address in it. When you do a "find" in the ElkRP software, it is broadcasting UDP packets looking for XEP's. Since your new IP range is 192.168.1.x and the XEP is possibly still at a 192.168.2.x IP, the XEP will never see the UDP broadcasts.

http://www.elkproducts.com/pdf/M1XEP_Ethernet_Interface.pdf

You will want to look at the bottom of page 23 for the title "Forcing the DHCP/IP Address Settings to Known Values:". This paragraph will explain how to get the XEP back to DHCP. Once it is back at DHCP, you should be able to find it by doing a "find" in ElkRP.

A quick and easy:

Power off the XEP.
Place a jumper across JP2
Power up the XEP.
First, you will see 5 blinks of the green LED on the enclosure where the CAT5 plugs into.

About 30 seconds later, you should see a blink rate:

DHCP: 1 quick blink
STATIC: 2 quick blinks

If you see 1 quick blink, remove JP2 and the device will contiue to boot up in DHCP mode. After the device is running, do a "find" in ElkRP to see if you can find the XEP.

If you see 2 quick blinks, power down the XEP with the JP2 still shorted, and power back up the XEP. You will see the five blinks of the green led, and @ 30 seconds later, you should see the 1 quick blink rate. Remove JP2 and the XEP will continue to boot up in DHCP. After the device is running, do a "find" in ElkRP to see if you can find the XEP.

Hope this helps!

P.S. johnnynine's method will work as well and may be easier... Set your PC to a static IP address in the 192.168.2.x range and perform a find in ElkRP. If you find the XEP, connect up to it and set it to a static IP in the 192.168.1.x range.

ah yes, user error, I know it well.

Thanks to ChrisRM, that was spot on. I totally phased that I had it set to a static IP address beforehand. I can't force my PC to 192.168.2.x as Linksys holds the .1.x subnet, but forcing to known address cleared it all out.

IVB said:
I can't force my PC to 192.168.2.x as Linksys holds the .1.x subnet, but forcing to known address cleared it all out.
Just for reference, you can set your pc's network card to any ip address regardless of your router's setting. Your network card can also have more than one ip address. If you go into the TCP/IP properties of your network card you will see an "Advanced..." button on the bottom. In there you could have assigned your pc 2 ip addresses, one on each subnet. Doing that would still give you access to your network and beyond your router, plus it would give you access to your elk.

Unfortunately I have had to do this too many times in the past. Everytime I would update the firmware on my router it would lose all its settings and since I had the router set up on a different subnet than it defaults to, my pc would be ostracized due to its static ip.

edit: typo

johnnynine said:
Just for reference, you can set your pc's network card to any ip address regardless of your router's setting. Your network card can also have more than one ip address. If you go into the TCP/IP properties of your network card you will see an "Advanced..." button on the bottom. In there you could have assigned your pc 2 ip addresses, one on each subnet. Doing that would still give you access to your network and beyond your router, plus it would give you access to your elk.
Ah, but you cannot add an additional address if your interface's primary address was acquired by DHCP (in Windows....Linux doesn't care, you can ifconfig eth0:1, eth0:2, etc all you want :ph34r: )

Back