Elk M1XRF2H location recommendations

Smcross03

Hello All,
For those that use the M1XRF2H, where did you mount it? Is it better to mount it high, say in an attic? I plan to install my M1G in the basement with my sensors one floor above. I also plan to add a couple sensors on the exterior of the house to monitor a storage building door and fence gates. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Regards!

I definitely wouldn't mount it in the basement. Centrally located near the ceiling on the ground floor should be fine in most homes depending on the size of your house and the location of the sensors.

Mike

I would not put it in the attic, as the high temperatures aren't good for electronics.  As @mikefamig says, the basement is also not a optimal location, as the signal will have a more difficult time getting out, especially to an outside sensor.

A nice, out of the way space would be in a closet, on the wall above the door where the unit won't be seen.

Our house is a colonial style two story building and a little over 40' long. I put the M1xrf in the landing at the top of the basement staircase which is nearly in the middle of the house and all of the wireless sensors work well.

Mike.

Mine is in the (heated and insulated) garage. I don't have any issues with it there. It receives signals from Honeywell 5816's in an out building on the opposite side of the house no problem.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I think I have found two solid options for placement. Does anyone of you know the approximate range of a 5800mini?

I recently moved into a new house and decided to use wireless for the first time as the builder wouldn't allow any wiring to be done. I used 5800mini's for my vinyl windows (all double-hung and really does work well for them.) My house is 2-story with a 46x35 footprint with lots of open space. The receiver is installed up high in a closet that is right about in the middle of the house. I have no issues with signals.

Back