Elk Output 3

raymondh

As a test, I soldered wires to the board in my garage door opener and connected them to the NO contacts in output 3. It works great but now I'm wondering if that was okay to do. This is a relay only, right? No voltage?

Also, I installed the M1 in an existing 18" can that had telco and video coax going to it. I have everything in it but there are cables everywhere (over and around the battery, etc) is this going to cause problems?

As a test, I soldered wires to the board in my garage door opener and connected them to the NO contacts in output 3. It works great but now I'm wondering if that was okay to do. This is a relay only, right? No voltage?

Also, I installed the M1 in an existing 18" can that had telco and video coax going to it. I have everything in it but there are cables everywhere (over and around the battery, etc) is this going to cause problems?
See pages 4 and 67 of the installation manual.

This sounds like you have it set up correctly. FYI I did a How-To on this subject.

Remember to have the relay on for just a second or so, then toggle it back to it's "off" position.

This sounds like you have it set up correctly. FYI I did a How-To on this subject.

Remember to have the relay on for just a second or so, then toggle it back to it's "off" position.

I set a rule up that turns it on (closes it) for 2-seconds. I don't tell it to open it as I thought the 2-seconds opened it afterwards.

I believe that should work, but I don't have an Elk. I have mine setup via an Ocelot, which uses timers a lot differently than the Elk.

I set a rule up that turns it on (closes it) for 2-seconds. I don't tell it to open it as I thought the 2-seconds opened it afterwards.

That's correct. I have my GD on output 3, 2 second rule also, the only difference is I connect the wires to the screw terminals on the GDO that the normal button connects to in parallel, no soldering.

That's correct. I have my GD on output 3, 2 second rule also, the only difference is I connect the wires to the screw terminals on the GDO that the normal button connects to in parallel, no soldering.

I am considering the same approach but I have two garage door openers and both are Genie's that use the Intellicode system.
The two wires going to the wall remotes provide some type of propietary serial interface that allow both door and light control from the wall. Has anyone ever paralleled a set of N.O. contacts across the two screw terminals on one of these? I already have the Relay Expansion Module in the garage and wiring would be relatively simple but I don't want to kill a new opener control board.

KB4OB, that is exactally what I did about 5 months ago and it works with no problem. My opener is a Chamberlain so don't know if it works differently....

Mine is an old Sears opener but the wall control also has a lights button, lock, etc. But its still the same 2 wires and works fine.

Back