Elk Phone Connection

The three beeps could be coming from the M1 as the auto answer signal. To access the M1's telephone remote control, enter *** after you hear the beeps. The voice will come on with instructions.

Receive the Global programming data into ELKRP to make sure ELKRP is updated.
To disable the beeps, 1. turn off the telephone remote control, or 2. adjust the number of rings before auto answer to 0. Raise the number of rings to 6 - 10 for more rings before auto answer.

You can also use Ring-Hangup-Ring to further limit the auto answer pickup or to get around answering machines.

Ok, I have turned off telephone remote control. We'll see if the problem ever comes up again.

- jason

Did you ever disconnect the Elk just to rule it out completely? Is it plugged into an RJ31x? If it is just simply unplug it.

I have not because it is setup so that it can seize control of the phone system. Phone comes into the premise and goes straight to the Elk on Ring and Tip. Then the Elk uses (what I presume is) a relay to connect those to R1 and T1, respectively. If I unplug the green phoenix connector then the rest of the house has no phone. That is why I said I would have to jumper Ring to R1 and Tip to T1. I mean on the green phoenix connector and not on the elk.

- jason
Regardless of whether this fixes the problem or not I would strongly suggest putting an RJ31x in there for future use. The kit even came with one. It's whole purpose is to let you unplug the M1 when needed and still allow normal phone operation + allows the M1 to seize control when needed.

Regardless of whether this fixes the problem or not I would strongly suggest putting an RJ31x in there for future use. The kit even came with one. It's whole purpose is to let you unplug the M1 when needed and still allow normal phone operation + allows the M1 to seize control when needed.

You are correct. I definitely should do that. Since I wired up the house myself I ran the phone line to the elk first, and then to the rest of the house using the wiring diagram that is printed on on page 4 of the M1 installation manual, which does not mention the RJ31x connector, although it is shown on page 7. The only problem with the drawing on page 7 is that it assumes you only have 1 phone line, and I use black/yellow for line 2. Actually it's not black/yellow or red/green for that matter since modern phone installations use cat5 so it's orange/white-orange and blue/white-blue.

Anyway, i should probably use the RJ31x jack, and just wire it so that the bars connect incoming line 1 to outgoing line 1 instead of running the signal all the way back to the demarc. Thanks for pointing that out.

- jason

I have had similar issues in the past that were definitely related to the ELk. When I disconnect it from phone line the issues went away. Maybe it's time to hook it back up and start troubleshooting. I was only using the ELk to dial out to a cell phone so I just disconnected it. The wife was getting annoyed.

It did it again today. Phone rang maybe 2x, then stopped. I picked it up and the caller said "What were those 3 beeps?"

Apparently the Elk answered the call and beeped 3 times? I double checked my settings and Telephone Local Control is definitely disabled, and Ring/Hang-up/Answer is off as well.

Any suggestions from anyone on this?

- jason

If you have the RJ31x jack wired correctly, if the M1 picks up, the house phones will be dead.

Hey Guys,

It's been 3 months since my last post on this topic. I disconnected the M1 from the phone line and the problem has not happened since, so I now know that it is definitely the M1 that is causing it.

I only use the phone connection for dialing out when the alarm goes off.

I am going to hook the phone connection back up and begin troubleshooting this some more.

If you have the RJ31x jack wired correctly, if the M1 picks up, the house phones will be dead.

Spanky,

I want to make sure that I understand this 100%. The way that I understand it, the house phones being dead when the M1 picks up is due to a feature inside the M1 (a relay I assume based on the click I hear when standing next to the unit), and really has nothing to do with the RJ31x jack being installed at all. The RJ31x is simply a convenience to allow you to unplug the M1 and have the phones still work.

I have wired my M1 like this:

R1 ==> Blue to phones (red on old phone systems)
T1 ==> White/Blue to phones (green on old phone systems)
Ring ==> Blue from telco, goes straight to the demarc box (red on old phone systems)
Tip ==> White/Blue from telco, goes straight to the demarc box (green on old phone systems)

The 3 beeps seem to be showing up on Ring/Tip so that my callers can hear them. If I answer quick enough I hear the very end of the last beep. Also note that they don't happen every phone call. At least, I don't get complaints about them every phone call.

Can you resend all the settings to the Elk M1?

I have done this, and it did not help. I am also willing to try a new firmware if it will possibly fix the problem.

- jason

Check the number of rings before telephone pickup and if the ring-hangup-ring feature is turned on turn it off. With ring-hangup-ring turned on, if the phone rings, stops ringing, then another call comes in within 45 seconds, the call will be answered by the M1 on the first ring with the beep, beep, beep tone.

Check the number of rings before telephone pickup and if the ring-hangup-ring feature is turned on turn it off. With ring-hangup-ring turned on, if the phone rings, stops ringing, then another call comes in within 45 seconds, the call will be answered by the M1 on the first ring with the beep, beep, beep tone.

Number of rings until auto-answer is set to 0, which I have been led to believe is disabled.

Ring/Hang-Up/Answer is unchecked. I have done a receive all/send all to make sure.

- jason

Jason,
We looked into the "Beep, beep, beep" issue you are having. We have found a timing situation where the system could answer and provide the beeps.

The “work around†is to set the Rings till Answer value to a maximum number. I would recommend that you program Globals location - G29 for a value of 15.

We are going to make the fix in the next software release.

Thanks for your input into the issue.

Jason,
We looked into the "Beep, beep, beep" issue you are having. We have found a timing situation where the system could answer and provide the beeps.

The “work around†is to set the Rings till Answer value to a maximum number. I would recommend that you program Globals location - G29 for a value of 15.

I'm so glad to hear that! I'll set my values now and look for the new version in the future.

Thanks for manning this forum, you are a big part of the Elk experience for many of us, and you continually earn hearty recommendations out of me.

- jason

Jason,

Spanky,
Is this fixed? From time to time, the Elk answers the phone. My "Rings until Auto Answer" is set @ 15, as it has been since 2/2009 - Should "0" rings cause it to not answer at all?

Monk,

I'm glad that you resurrected this thread. I've been meaning to get in here and tell spanky that his 15 rings solution did indeed fix the problem. We have not heard the 3 beeps since making that change.

Here's to hoping for a firmware fix.

- jason

Monk,

I'm glad that you resurrected this thread. I've been meaning to get in here and tell spanky that his 15 rings solution did indeed fix the problem. We have not heard the 3 beeps since making that change.

Here's to hoping for a firmware fix.

- jason

Are you still set at 15 rings, or back to "0"? My problem is not consistent - It is sort of like it stores up rings if unanswered and only once in a great while will a caller get beeped.

Back