ELK-RM: What does it do?

Kevin L

I connect remotely to my M1G through the M1XEP. Does the Elk-RM software allow me to do more than the built-in utility does? I'm also going to be hooking up the Homeseer HomeTroller 2 with the Elk plug-in. Do I need Elk-RM?

Thanks,

Kevin

ElkRM is the touchscreen interface that can run on PDA's, PC's and the Elk TS07 in-wall touchscreen. It gives you much more than the XEP interface, which is basically just a virtual keypad.

Check out the ElkRM product page for more information.

Thanks, Dan.

I'm not interested in touchscreen at this point. All I'm really interested is interfacing with the Elk from my office or other remote location. It seems the built-in applet on the XEP has all the same screens as RM. I don't mind spending the money for RM, but if it doesn't do anymore remotely, do I need it? Plus, the Homeseer HomeTroller S2 is coming next week and it'll have the Elk plugin. Does getting Elk-RM make sense?

Thanks,

Kevin

Thanks, Dan.

I'm not interested in touchscreen at this point. All I'm really interested is interfacing with the Elk from my office or other remote location. It seems the built-in applet on the XEP has all the same screens as RM. I don't mind spending the money for RM, but if it doesn't do anymore remotely, do I need it? Plus, the Homeseer HomeTroller S2 is coming next week and it'll have the Elk plugin. Does getting Elk-RM make sense?

Thanks,

Kevin
In your situation, it's probably not worth it. You can always download the trial and see - and if you like it, buy the unlock code... In fact, it's probably worth waiting a couple weeks to see anyway - Spanky has been teasing us with a new version ElkRMS which I'm dying to see - not too many details have been released yet from what I can see though other than that it's RM on steroids. You could probably wait a few weeks and see what that offers instead. However, with Homeseer that may take the place.

I use it because I wasn't too interested in additional products or PC's required for my automation needs, which are pretty simple and well handled by the Elk. Instead of hitting the XEP web page from the office, I remote desktop into my home PC and bring up ElkRM. Added benefit - when I'm home, I do the same thing with my iPhone or iPod Touch to RDP into my office desktop, which always has ElkRM running lately, and can very quickly adjust temperature, water the lawn, etc. The RM screen seems to work pretty well in the iPhone screen. Great during installation and wiring too - it made the walk-tests easy by pulling up the status screen and playing with doors and windows to see which were mis-labeled.

Thanks, again, Todd. I'll wait and see. I ordered the other goodies yesterday, including an Elk-124, based on your post in my other thread.

Have a great weekend!

Kevin

Thanks, again, Todd. I'll wait and see. I ordered the other goodies yesterday, including an Elk-124, based on your post in my other thread.

Have a great weekend!

Kevin
Sounds fun! I'm still waiting for the 124... I should get it next week, but I got the computer interface.

Hoping that'll make up for the money I've been spending, when my wife finally gets a doorbell... we haven't had one for a year since we've been in this house 'cause she couldn't find one she liked the sound and look of - so I figured invisible with custom sound should win... That and she doesn't like the voices - so custom tones should make up for that.

While we are teasing-

The new ELKRMS adds:
Build your own screen functions and look.
Enhanced Rule capability.
Show your favorite pictures as a screen saver.

While we are teasing-

The new ELKRMS adds:
Build your own screen functions and look.
Enhanced Rule capability.
Show your favorite pictures as a screen saver.

Spanky, my apologies if this has been covered before. The current RM is NOT suitable for remote use as it goes over the insecure port, right? Will that change with the new RMS? That is, can it be run remotely in a secure way?

Thanks

ElkRMS will have secure port capability. I am not sure if it is done yet, but it is on the list to do.

Back