Elk rule help

pgray007

I have a rule that turns various lights on at night, and a corresponding rule that turns them off when the house is armed in night mode and all works well. The problem is that I want the system to turn lights off at night when the house is armed in vacation mode. I have the following rule:

WHENEVER THE TIME IS 5 HOURS AND 22 MINUTES AFTER SUNSET
AND Home (Area 1) IS ARMED VACATION
THEN TURN SomeLight OFF, FADE RATE=0
THEN TURN AnotherLight OFF
etc
etc

This rule never fires and we come home to all the lights on. What am I doing wrong?

As far as I can tell, it certainly *should* work, but the fact remains that it does not!

Is there any way to test rules short of making the family sit outside for 6 hours while the house is armed, and watching the lights come on and off?

As far as I can tell, it certainly *should* work, but the fact remains that it does not!

Is there any way to test rules short of making the family sit outside for 6 hours while the house is armed, and watching the lights come on and off?

Change the time to something you can live (and sleep) with. Say 8 pm. Then arm vacation mode and leave at 7:55 and wait 5 mins and see what happens. If it works try again at 8:15 etc if you want.

If it doesnt work verify you are actually in vacation mode etc.

etc
etc
Where do you live? Is your sunset time correct?

My sunset time today is 8:23 PM. Add 5:22 and you get 01:45 AM tomorrow. Maybe the "after sunset" rule has a bug wrapping around midnight?

etc
etc
Where do you live? Is your sunset time correct?

My sunset time today is 8:23 PM. Add 5:22 and you get 01:45 AM tomorrow. Maybe the "after sunset" rule has a bug wrapping around midnight?

That makes a lot of sense!

yea, I agree with Wayne's theory too. Yes, you could try making it say 5 minutes after sunset and see what happens. If that works then I would go even more with Wayne's theory.

Wayne,
You are right! A time of 5 hours after sunset will never exist if the time is past 12 midnight because the time will roll over to 00:00 at midnight.

Perhaps a Rule should be set up to turn off the lights at 11:59 PM and another Rule at 5 hours after sunset. Whichever Rule fires first will turn the lights off.

Here is a way around the problem of going over midnight.

Whenever Sunset
Then turn Output190 on for 5 hours 22 minutes.

Whenever Output190 is turned off
Then turn off lights.

The timer that controls Output190(or whatever output you choose) does not
refer to clock time so Midnight has no effect.

Cliff s

Back