Elk to X10 Wireless for Homelink integration?

pgray007

I am new to the wonderful world of Elk and tackling the initial high-WAF areas. Security is just about done, HVAC in process and lighting coming next once Elk integrated with Vizia-RF. What I'd really like to do is integrate several automation facets into the unused homelink button in both our cars, especially now that it is getting dark out so early. I've seen the Wayne Dalton gateway device that sends out ZWave, but I don't want to just do lighting, and don't have two buttons to spare on homelink (one for a "turn stuff on" scene and one for "turn stuff off.")

It's been several years since I've played with X10, I am moving in that direction since it's cheap, and Homelink can apparently learn X10 commands. What I envision is assigning the homelink button to one X10 command. The Elk then gets this command and turns on some lights, adjusts HVAC and does some other tricks when coming home, and with the same signal, turns everything off when leaving since it looks pretty easy to determine if we're home or not, based on the alarm status.

Would this work, and what hardware do I need on the Elk side? I still can't quite get my head around the expanders, data bus hubs, serial interfaces and manufacturer interfaces. I have one retrofit DBH at the moment and the Ethernet interface and I assume I need another serial expander and ?????? for the actual X10 wireless?

Am I better off just using a Caddx keyfob?

I am not familiar with the Homelink learning capability, but if it can learn the X10 wireless transmitters you can send a message to an X10 receiver to be repeated on the powerline or use a W800 receiver with a M1XSP. I use the 16 button X10 wireless palmpads to control lights in my house through the M1. I wrote Rules to receive the X10 code signal and then controlled the lights I desired.

I am not familiar with the Homelink learning capability, but if it can learn the X10 wireless transmitters you can send a message to an X10 receiver to be repeated on the powerline or use a W800 receiver with a M1XSP. I use the 16 button X10 wireless palmpads to control lights in my house through the M1. I wrote Rules to receive the X10 code signal and then controlled the lights I desired.

This would require an additional Serial Expander on the Elk, correct?

Back