Email notifier board

Having the same issue too. Updated firmware and noticed emails were being missed. D1 light stays flashing until I reboot. From what I can tell, it does that when sending an email. I have them doubled to SMS and email, so far I've missed 2 false alarms because of it. I'm testing 10 half/full duplex to see if that's an issue, but my equipment hasn't recorded any errors yet.  In the past I noticed a reset of the power worked and it hadn't stayed up for more than 24 hours. Also placing a call to Leviton (firmware bug maybe?). Will post back with results.

Leviton told me that I need to clear alert checkboxes on email address entries that are blank, i.e. don't mark blank address spaces for alerts. I cleared all of the check boxes that aren't associated with address on the notifier config. Will test this out and post back.

Unfortunately didn't have any checkboxes to uncheck (they were already unchecked). I was excited last week when the Email Notifier worked reliably almost two days in a row but as usual, it succumbed to its typical unreliable mode and so now is back to working only so often as randomly.... At least the time is staying generally accurate within a few seconds to right on time. :) 

How's everyone's email boards working? 

I just got mine going, sort of. 

Tried to send from my Goolge account. Port 465 and SSL on.  Didn't work, but Google sends me this automated message that tells me I tried to send email using software that doesn't meet their security standards.

Tried my email server.  With SSL and port 465, nothing.  With no SSL and port 26 it works.  I'm glad I turn off the SSL requirement or I'd be screwed.

I pre-ordered one through Worthington for my OPII so I'm sure it is a first batch model. It is flaky and works for a while, then quits working. If I power it off to reset it, it starts working again for a while, then after a period of time, stops.

I also have one that I bought about 6 months after that for my OmniLT that I have at work. It works flawlessly and alerts me every day for arm/disarm and even recently for an alarm trigger that happened in the middle off the night. They're both on the same firmware and both using Gmail for sending, but one works good and the other doesn't.

JonW said:
I pre-ordered one through Worthington for my OPII so I'm sure it is a first batch model. It is flaky and works for a while, then quits working. If I power it off to reset it, it starts working again for a while, then after a period of time, stops.

I also have one that I bought about 6 months after that for my OmniLT that I have at work. It works flawlessly and alerts me every day for arm/disarm and even recently for an alarm trigger that happened in the middle off the night. They're both on the same firmware and both using Gmail for sending, but one works good and the other doesn't.
It wouldn't surprise me that HAI found a bug in earlier ones and quietly fixed it in later ones.

JonW said:

I guess the obvious thing to do would be to swap the two units and see if issue moves with the unit or stays with the jobsite.
That will tell you if it's the board or some other factor.
That would determine next steps.

JonW said:

The board will have a version number stamped/painted/screened on it which should tell us if your old board and new board are the same.   Of course as mariomp suggested, switching boards may tell you if it's controller related issue or email board issue, which means the flaky operation of the email notifier could be resolved either as an OPII update or a notifier board update/replacement. 

Ashamed though you have to test for Leviton and Leviton hasn't already resolved their flaw.

aard3 said:
Edit: All boards were tested and updated with the latest firmware before they shipped. No need to update the firmware.
The 5V connector is not intended to be used with an Omni. It's intended to be used incase you are connecting to a different panel or maybe for some standalone applications
aard3:

- this information REALLY should be included in the documentation coming with the board, something like "power is derived from the Omni serial connection, the 5V (J1?) connector is not intended to be used with an Omni". It's pretty hard to find that information outside of cocoontech, and there are some of us who RTFM before installation.

- can't agree that all boards are upgraded to the latest firmware at the factory. I just had to upgrade a fresh board from FW 1.3 to 1.5 immediately upon install.

- you may also want to include required upgrading PC Access if version less than 3.13. I was unaware that I had neglected to upgrade PC Access after a computer rebuild until email board did not appear in the serial menu.

Cheers

I had not noticed this solution posted, and hope that it will prove helpful to readers. I think it only applies to Gmail accounts.

I also recently purchased an Omni Notifier, set it up using Gmail, and found that although it worked correctly initially, but after no changes on my end, it quit working after a couple of days.

After an email exchange with HAI, the board seemed to be working (the light was flashing appropriately). Their email account also worked. In the process of allowing less secure apps to access my account (see https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en), I found that a day or two after installation my purpose built Gmail account had been disabled. I re-enabled the account by logging into Gmail from a PC, and reentered my account info into PC Access.

The Notifier seems to be working properly now, we'll see if it stays that way. I actually switched off, then on "allow less secure apps". Don't know if this setting could disable my Gmail account or not.

I'm seeing boards work after a power cycle one or two times after which they go months without working. Seems to be the nature of the beast with regard to this beta hardware.

i've a problem with notification board.

i installed the board and the central omni 2e 1 year ago and the notification board has worked fine since few days ago.
in stand by state the status led is blinking and when i try to send a demo mail the led blinks faster.
i use a gmail account (smtp.gmail.com/465/my account and pswd/ssl active).
i tried to change the serial port from 2 to 5 and vice versa but nothing.
i installed the firmware 1.5 (after the problem) but nothing.

what test can do i?

:pray:

You'll have to run a network packet capture to see if the board is actually sending.  Updating the firmware while you had a problem may have introduced new variables, so you may be troubleshooting the first problem along with any new problems the firmware update introduced.  Generally if the board is working, then stops working, you need to find out what happened first before anything else.

At this point, you might try disconnecting the system power for a few minutes, then power on and determine if the board is communicating (flashing LED is a good sign it's trying to send) but packet capture will show the communication with gmail, then determine the cause of original communication issue (board, email account, firewall, etc..). Sometimes changing the password on the email account and the board may also resolve an issue if the board became corrupted, as re-writing the programming can "clean up" problems.

Back