Email notifier board

Hi all!
I am just starting to use these. I set up a domain using 1&1.com for cheap and it comes with one email address.  SSL/TLS did not work from this account. You can also send mail without SSL/TLS. So doing that with port 25 and the notifier works great.Now I have a personalized specific email for the notifier board for maybe $10/year.

I am noticing TMobile bouncing my texts from this account though, they did work through the ISP's smtp server. Gmail and other phone companies work so far.

I am noticing TMobile bouncing my texts from this account though, they did work through the ISP's smtp server. Gmail and other phone companies work so far.

T-Mobile has been bouncing my text messages on and off now here since the beginning of using T-Mobile.

I have opened a couple of tickets regarding this.  Both times both tickets alleviated the issue.  The issue has come back randomly.

I went to using STunnel which continues to work fine with email notifications on a few devices on my home network.

GMail has implemented a two tier (2 step) authentication which replaced the loosy goosey setting on Gmail security.

I have tested it to work fine.

Read about it here.

Google 2-Step Verification

Might work for you relating to the Leviton / HAI email notifier board stuff.

How can one use 2 step if you have no access to the responses etc on the notifier board?? 

You have setup and tested gmail with 2 tier on the notifier board and it works fine???

Funny HAI even says they can't do Gmail since early in the year after some changes.  Would be good for HAI to fix that already.

BTW, I ran into a problem using 1&1 on some ISPs as they likely block port 25 to all but their smtp. Works on others.

Anyone else find an email provider that works with this board?

I do not have an Email notifier board here.  I have many devices that do Gmail notifications.  My personal solution was to use STunnel when the port 25 authentication did not work.

Basically here you would leave the Email notifier board at port 25 and change the SMTP server to the STunnel IP.

The 2 step authentication will not work with port 25.  It works with my Gmail notifications with my firewall and NAS boxes.

Good morning all.  It seems that most folks have gotten over the whole SMTP thing, since Leviton stopped allowing gmail and yahoo.  However, I am still having the "reset" issue.  It seems that when I first installed the email notifier, it was reliable.  Over time, maybe 4-5 months, it became less reliable.  Now, I find myself having to reset (pull serial and ethernet, and pushing two buttons) every other day.  

Has anyone found the cause, and long term solution, for this?  I am not a techy guy, but it seems like some sort of internal memory is filling up, and use must manually dump memory every few days.

TIA 

It would seem that not all boards experience the same issues, but the issues experienced seem to vary.  If you use automation, you could build a product that would reset you board as needed - sounds ridiculous I know - but it does seem like the Email Notifier needs it's own automation system to keep it "mostly" reliable.  The alternative to the first automation suggestion would be to power cycle your entire Omni system every other day using a timer or perhaps the Omni itself, which will accomplish the same task you currently are performing.

I have a Email Notifier that will work for short periods of time each day, sometimes as many as 3-4 messages will go out and other times, no messages for a day or two. 
Given the board design was based on old tech leads me to believe this is what makes the Email Notifier less than reliable. Shame on Leviton for not releasing a replacement that works with modern email systems!

Doesn't seem to be much else you can do other than try a new board if you don't want to automate the manual unreliability fix every other day.....

I have two Email Notifiers, and they both are working well for me.
I think that you may have a defective product that should be returned for warranty replacement. The Notifier Installation sheet has the Leviton Warranty information on it. Good luck!

StarTrekDoors said:
It would seem that not all boards experience the same issues, but the issues experienced seem to vary.  If you use automation, you could build a product that would reset you board as needed - sounds ridiculous I know - but it does seem like the Email Notifier needs it's own automation system to keep it "mostly" reliable.  The alternative to the first automation suggestion would be to power cycle your entire Omni system every other day using a timer or perhaps the Omni itself, which will accomplish the same task you currently are performing.

I have a Email Notifier that will work for short periods of time each day, sometimes as many as 3-4 messages will go out and other times, no messages for a day or two. 
Given the board design was based on old tech leads me to believe this is what makes the Email Notifier less than reliable. Shame on Leviton for not releasing a replacement that works with modern email systems!

Doesn't seem to be much else you can do other than try a new board if you don't want to automate the manual unreliability fix every other day.....
Thanks for the reply.  I am not aware of programming that I could do to reset the board?  I am familiar with lights, sensors, etc...but had no idea I can reset email board.  How would I do this?  What menu would this be under?

Thanks! 

CajunHAI said:
Thanks for the reply.  I am not aware of programming that I could do to reset the board?  I am familiar with lights, sensors, etc...but had no idea I can reset email board.  How would I do this?  What menu would this be under?

I think what StarTrekDoors was suggesting is that you could use an output of the Omni to control a relay that would in turn cut the power to the notifier board. Then just write a couple of rules to turn the relay on for a moment, and then back off.

New to the board... I just got around to configuring the notifier board after it has been installed for more that one year! In any case, what a mess this thing is.

After struggling through  firmware updates and the like, then struggling with Gmail Leviton told me the SSL in the board is no longer supported so it won't work. Really?!? So what is Lev doing about it? Nothing.

OK switched to my Comcast account that works but, the board doesn't behave like it is configured and it sends garbage emails that end up in spam or are rejected.

First, I have emails turned off and only asked for text messages (which are emails to start) and the board sends emails to all the address I have stored but not selected. Further, it doesn't put the sender's email address in the message causing rejection. Here is an example (### are my masking):

to:

####@comcast.net,
#####.com,
#####@comcast.net,
#####@vtext.com,
#####@vtext.com,
яяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяяян

date:

Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 11:25 PM

subject:

Security Disarmed

BUT, all seems to work fine when I send a "test message". These crazy emails are generated on Arm/Disarm. I don't see any where else to configure Arm/Disarm notifications.

Is this board toast or is there more magic I don't know?

Is there a way to reset this thing?

If the email notifier works, message garbage can be fairly common given the basic nature of how it's being used.  Have you thought of using a distro list to change the technical look of the message and to clean up the message?

Reset button is on the board.

Also, disconnecting power from the Omni system clears any "stuck" processes in the email notifier.  I've noticed some boards will operate more often than not if you reset power every so often.

I'm unable to update the firmware to my email board. I have check my cables all is correct. When I try the firmware I get failed. My current software PCA 3.0.17.1843. New firmware OMNI IIe 4.0B. Firmware for the board is OMNI_notifer_V2.0.onbf but fail to upload. I have restarted the OMNI IIE several time.Any suggestion.

Are you connecting via Ethernet or serial?  How long does it appear to running the update before it fails to upgrade? Have you tried re-downloading the update and/or using a different computer to upload the update?

You may want to try resetting the email notifier to factory default, then power off the OP, disconnect backup battery, wait 10 minutes, power back on, wait 2 minutes, then try loading new firmware without doing anything else.  Also, change Serial ports, as not all the serial ports are the same on the OP (no idea why but that's how it is).

Merry Xmas to all. Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays

Spent way too much of my day in my HA world, but I cannot cannot get my new Notifier board to work.  Using FW v4.0B, Notifier v2.0, PC Access Dealer v3.17.  I believe the board is working as the Ethernet lights flash, and it is auto adjusting the time, but I'm out of ideas on how to get it to send a test message.  Any suggestions?  Tried  gmail, comcast. and yahoo email addresses.

Thanks,

Geoff

Back