Email notifier board

bighorn said:
Merry Xmas to all. Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays

Spent way too much of my day in my HA world, but I cannot cannot get my new Notifier board to work.  Using FW v4.0B, Notifier v2.0, PC Access Dealer v3.17.  I believe the board is working as the Ethernet lights flash, and it is auto adjusting the time, but I'm out of ideas on how to get it to send a test message.  Any suggestions?  Tried  gmail, comcast. and yahoo email addresses.

Thanks,

Geoff

Email Notifier, when it works, does not work with any email provider using advanced security.

The workaround is to use a Cellular Gateway, Leviton's Unsecured Cloud Email, or your own email server.  BTW - If you simply want to use the Email Notifier, even if you use a local email server or cellular gateway, the email notifier does not send messages for every event intended.  It is simply less than reliable but some messages may be better than none.

If you read through the many pages of this topic, you'll find network issues can account for additional failures, so if you do use a work-around solution, the device may also go offline.

@Geoff,

Tell us about your OmniPro 2 system and what it is you want to do with it?

I did notice a software update to PCA a couple days ago.

So a quickie list of what you have:

1 - OmniPro 2 panel - is this an OP2 that is chip upgradable or software upgradable
2 - What additions to you have to your base panel?  (zone, output, audio and email board?)
3 - are you utilizing an Alarm company monitoring
4 - do you utilize Leviton Snaplink on your mobile phone and what is the OS on your mobile phone
5 - what serial ports are you using on the panel and what are you using them for?

5 - I understand too that you are also using Homeseer 3 and the Omni Plugin.

Note that the Leviton notifier board does work for some and not for others. 

The notifier board is very primitive in design using the serial bus and a network connection.

Upgrading the firmware is done via the serial port (very slow).

You can do email, text notifications, time sync much faster using OmniPanel software addendums like where as the only software that works to manage your OP2 panel is PC Access whether it is connected serially or via the network.

BTW here on Cocoontech many folks are using the Elk or the Omni Pro panel and have DIY'd their systems either with new contruction or post contruction.  In DIY mode many folks have learned much about what the combo panels can do and what they cannot do.

Some of the users here of the Elk / OmniPro 2 panel only utilize the panels for security / basic automation and nothing else.  While others here utilize software addedums to their panels (smart phone consoles, touchscreens or automation software).

You can take your old Omni Pro panel today to current use with current automation widgets like Homeseer, CQC, Smartthings, Alexa, Google voice et al.  There is also now plenty of OpenSource automation which will talk to your OmniPro 2 panel.  (two mentioned here is OpenHab and and Home Assistant).  Nowadays you can mix Windows and Linux and iOS software or just Windows or just Linux or iOS.  It really all depends on what you are most comfortable with.  Many Smartphone users want to manage all of their automation via their smartphone.  Some via tablets and today some via new AI stuff like Alexa, GV or Cortana.  It all really depends on what you want to do with your panel.

Pete,

Good questions. See responses below.

Geoff,

Tell us about your OmniPro 2 system and what it is you want to do with it?

Here OP2 with HAI HLC UPB switches, Russound E Series, Compoint Intercom, Somfy blinds, and analogue cctv cameras. Recently added Alexa Dot and still evaluating HomeSeer PC software. Also using HomeKit with Myro:Home Helper as I decide if should I go with Amazon or Apple AI UI. Initial interest getting basic notifications (arm/disarm, alerts etc). Used to use Haiku Helper but looking for new system.

I did notice a software update to PCA a couple days ago.
Thanks, Ill update it.
So a quickie list of what you have:

1 - OmniPro 2 panel - is this an OP2 that is chip upgradable or software upgradable
Chip upgrade.
2 - What additions to you have to your base panel? (zone, output, audio and email board?)
Zone expander and emailer board.
3 - are you utilizing an Alarm company monitoring
4 - do you utilize Leviton Snaplink on your mobile phone and what is the OS on your mobile phone
Installed iOS apps: Haiku, Space, Snaplink and Myro:Home. Liked haiku best.
5 - what serial ports are you using on the panel and what are you using them for?
3 serial ports: HAI UPB, Leviton email notifier, Russound

5 - I understand too that you are also using Homeseer 3 and the Omni Plugin.
Yes still in my 30 day trial on a PC install. So far just using OMNI plug in.

Note that the Leviton notifier board does work for some and not for others.
Really disappointed with notifier email options.
The notifier board is very primitive in design using the serial bus and a network connection.

Upgrading the firmware is done via the serial port (very slow).
Im using v2.0. Is there a newer version.
You can do email, text notifications, time sync much faster using OmniPanel software addendums like where as the only software that works to manage your OP2 panel is PC Access whether it is connected serially or via the network.

BTW here on Cocoontech many folks are using the Elk or the Omni Pro panel and have DIY'd their systems either with new contruction or post contruction. In DIY mode many folks have learned much about what the combo panels can do and what they cannot do.
I need to look into another reliable option.
Some of the users here of the Elk / OmniPro 2 panel only utilize the panels for security / basic automation and nothing else. While others here utilize software addedums to their panels (smart phone consoles, touchscreens or automation software).

You can take your old Omni Pro panel today to current use with current automation widgets like Homeseer, CQC, Smartthings, Alexa, Google voice et al. There is also now plenty of OpenSource automation which will talk to your OmniPro 2 panel. (two mentioned here is OpenHab and and Home Assistant). Nowadays you can mix Windows and Linux and iOS software or just Windows or just Linux or iOS. It really all depends on what you are most comfortable with. Many Smartphone users want to manage all of their automation via their smartphone. Some via tablets and today some via new AI stuff like Alexa, GV or Cortana. It all really depends on what you want to do with your panel.

Always looking for cool new ideas. Right now priority is SA UPB switches in garage and Alexa vs HomeKit voice evaualtuons.

Thanks for sharing all of your wisdom.

Well you have the Email board already installed and there are users here on the forum that use it fine.

Do you have the email board working at this time?

Are you using any Omnitouch screens?  IP or Serial?

Relating to HAI CCTV went to a sort of hybrid of the old and the new as I upgraded my cameras to IP HD.

The newest OP2 firmware talks fine to streaming IPHD cameras doing MJPEG or stills in rapid sucession.

For the chipped OP2 boards the last 4.X revision was the last one for said boards.

The newer OP2 panels have more serial ports and you can update firmware via ethernet / serial connections.

Baby steps....

HI Pete,
I changed the Notifier to from smtp2go to Leviton cloud and it seems to be working perfectly now.  Can receive email and text messages to Verizon.
My OP2 requires chipped FW upgrades.  Wonder why Leviton won't support chipped FW beyond current v4.0B? I used to think that only having 3 serial ports was a limitation but now with software like HomeSeer it doesn't seem to be an issue.
Thanks for your help and encouragement!
Geoff

Pete,
My OmniNotifier is acting up and not sending out any emails now for the past week.  I've re-loaded all the settings, still using Leviton Cloud (which has worked fine last couple of years)... still no emails get sent.  Frustrating.   I am not sure if the Leviton Cloud is down... or is the problem on my end?  Everything looks correct per PC Access...

So then I noticed your message (see below) and you mention OTHER methods to get the OP2 to send out emails per events.

How and with what? 

THANKS
Dave

bighorn said:

I've read some more... and now I see that OpenHAB 2 can connect to HAI OP2. 

So that is a new path for me and I'm going to read/learn about OpenHAB 2 on RaspberryPi and see if I can get it all to connect to my OP2.  

OpenHAB 2 looks like it can do a ton of neat stuff. 

best,
Dave

BirdingPix said:
I've read some more... and now I see that OpenHAB 2 can connect to HAI OP2. 

So that is a new path for me and I'm going to read/learn about OpenHAB 2 on RaspberryPi and see if I can get it all to connect to my OP2.  

OpenHAB 2 looks like it can do a ton of neat stuff. 

best,
Dave
I might suggest to also look at Home Assistant. https://www.home-assistant.io/

I haven't used either Home Assistant or OpenHab, but I read that HA might be a bit better supported.  

@Geoff,

Good news!

Wonder why Leviton won't support chipped FW beyond current v4.0B? Probably cuz the board is old maybe?

Here utilize all of the serial ports and X10 port on my OmniPro 2 panel with the upgradable firmware piece to it and duplicate x10, UPB, ZWave and ZWave Homeseer connections and have the Homeseer Omni Plugin running on two HS3 computers. (IE many network connections to the OP2 panel).

How and with what?

Software like CQC, Homeseer, Home Assistant, OmnilinkBridge or OpenHab (and more).

Here been using STunnel for years and it works fine with whatever email I utilize on the automation boxes.

A bit biased about using Homeseer as I have used the software since Homeseer 1 introduced around 1998 (ran it on Windows 95/98 at the time) (and afterwards used Homeseer 2 and currently using Homeseer 3).

If you want notifications toot sweet for free ( tout de suite) install Ryan's OmniLinkBridge plug in.  There are discussions here relating to its use.

You can run the OmniLinkBridge on Windows or Linux (with Mono). Here run it in a Linux Docker container.

Here running the OmniLinkBridge, Home Assistant and Node red initially on an RPi2.

The GiHub is here ==> OmniLinkBridge

Roots for this application is Ryan's HAILogger which just logged stuff from the Omni panel, did time sync and send emails..and was posted as a time sync application when the OmniPro promiscuous ethernet port debacle started to occur on the OmniPro panels.

Today it talks to a Samsung Hub or MQTT (and whatever automation software that talks MQTT like Home Asistant or Homeseer or ...)

You can disable the Hub and MQTT stuff if you want and just configure the plugin to sent alert email messages.

pete_c said:
How and with what?

Software like CQC, Homeseer, Home Assistant, OmnilinkBridge or OpenHab (and more).

Here been using STunnel for years and it works fine with whatever email I utilize on the automation boxes.

A bit biased about using Homeseer as I have used the software since Homeseer 1 introduced around 1998 (ran it on Windows 95/98 at the time) (and afterwards used Homeseer 2 and currently using Homeseer 3).

If you want notifications toot sweet for free ( tout de suite) install Ryan's OmniLinkBridge plug in.  There are discussions here relating to its use.

You can run the OmniLinkBridge on Windows or Linux (with Mono). Here run it in a Linux Docker container.

Here running the OmniLinkBridge, Home Assistant and Node red initially on an RPi2.

The GiHub is here ==> OmniLinkBridge

Roots for this application is Ryan's HAILogger which just logged stuff from the Omni panel, did time sync and send emails..and was posted as a time sync application when the OmniPro promiscuous ethernet port debacle started to occur on the OmniPro panels.

Today it talks to a Samsung Hub or MQTT (and whatever automation software that talks MQTT like Home Asistant or Homeseer or ...)

You can disable the Hub and MQTT stuff if you want and just configure the plugin to sent alert email messages.

Hi Pete, 

I'm not ready to spring for Homeseer yet, and just getting my OP2 / UPB up to snuff with installing a bunch of UPB switches, room controllers, and automating the pool pumps etc. Still, I'm curious how the referenced software talks to the OP2. Is everything serial communications? It seems like there's always another hurdle with OP, now I have to upgrade the firmware chip again to make the notifier board work. 

The OmniLinkBridge software talks to the OmniPro via Ethernet. 

Not using the MQTT / Samsung Smartthings hubs pieces of it and configured just for Email it will email / text two addresses with basic stuff.  Alarm armed on or off et al, alarm triggers et al.

BTW here DIY'd a Micro travel router 1" X 2" that fits next to the Ethernet port on the OmniPro 2 panel.  I can run Mosquitto server on it and a lite Python.

That said it doesn't have enough CPU / RAM to run Docker with OmniLinkBridge add on.  It is powered by the panel or POE.  It has two NICs on it and a Wireless chip (but you would have to move the antenna to external to case).

Been tinkering with tiny TV Android boxes converting them to Linux.  These are a bit larger and would not fit nicely inside of the OmniPro 2 can.  Almost there though.

Ideal configuration will be a combo firewall and Linux software box that fits inside of the OP2 can. 

I have built one (too big) using a micro Atom box which uses an Intel CPU.  This computer runs a base OS of Ubuntu with Docker, Home Assistant, Homeseer, Mosquitto server, Homeseer Omni plugin, Omnilink bridge in Docker and an Oracle box running embedded Windows 7 (PCA runs fine on the W7e). 

When I first started working on the OmniPro, my first move was to take out the Leviton can and replace it with this. Size is less of an issue now. I just got my first Raspberry Pi, and am looking for automation based stuff I can do on it (in addition to Pi Hole). I have been planning to run CrossOver and then load dealer PC Access and UpStart onto it, if that works I can dump the old PC I'm running it on now. 

Would OmniLinkBridge run on Ubuntu, do you think, and if so would it affect my access to the OmniPro with dealer PC Access? 

Would OmniLinkBridge run on Ubuntu, do you think, and if so would it affect my access to the OmniPro with dealer PC Access?

No.

I am running Ubuntu 18.04 on a MicroIntel server (BT3 Beelink) here and it is running:
IE: I am trying to break it and have not so far in the last few months.

1 - OmniLinkBridge in Docker talking Ethernet to OP2 panel.
2 - Home Assistant in Docker
3 - Home Seer in Linux - OmniPlugin talking Ethernet to OP2 panel
4 - Mosquitto server
5 - Node Red

6 - Oracle Virtual Box
Windows 7 embedded Virtual box running (access to it is via RDP). giving the instance 2 CPU cores (of 4) (but running 32 bit) and 2Gb of RAM.
A - Microsoft SAPI (I am a SAPI speech hoarder)
B - Some Homeseer Windows only apps
C - PCA for Windows (geez this also runs on XPe)
D - HAI touchscreen designer

Testing USB connectivity from two Way2Call boxes over to the Win7E instance and it is working fine.
E - Homeseer touchscreen designer.

Back