Feedback or opinions... Lighting control direction.

kaosweb

Just getting my HA project up and running, I don't have anything for lights yet.  I was a backer of the Ube campaign on KickStarter.  I had high hopes but they are dwindling away.  I was planning on using Ube throughout the entire house and working with their API to interface with haikuhelper, but I am getting antsy.  Ube just provided an update and long story short I am guessing its going to be another 4-5+ months until we see anything from them.

Typical for a KickStarter hardware project I know, I was holding out high hopes for the project.

My question is do I bail on the project and just go UPB or wait it out, any feedback or opinions...

Pros and Cons with both options - I am considering the money a wash with what I have into the campaign and would purchase in UPB.  Ube has offered to refund pledges.

Don't really want to wait 5+ months, but Ube has a lot of potential.   There has been nothing new with their updates - its the same old thing, a hardware project that wants to deliver the best product hence the delays.

[Utz, I know you are around the forums, sorry to be such a debby downer, but I'm starting to lose faith]

Some decent deals on UPB through amazon this month.  If you are ready to install now, then I would say get what's available.

The big advantage of UPB is that it's here and working today and already has a significant level of integration; Ube sounds good - and if it turns out to actually be good, it'll be hitting its groove in about 2 years if all goes well.  Remember, since these aren't installed in homes, there's still a lot to figure out with firmware and app updates meaning the first batch of product likely won't be as good as the second gen.  The kickstarter batches should be seen as a preview of the new technology, and not something to base your whole home automation on now.

Another thing with UPB - even my switches confuse people a little - getting used to a touchpad (ube) will be even weirder!

I hope to move in about 4 years - maybe Ube will be ready by then and mature - if so, I'll give them a fair consideration at that point.

Anyone remember Insteon's first batch issues?  How could they have known those little microswitches would be so prone to failure without a few thousand clicks on a very large sampling?

Work2Play said:
Anyone remember Insteon's first batch issues?  How could they have known those little microswitches would be so prone to failure without a few thousand clicks on a very large sampling?

That was a manufacturing defect of the switches themselves.  There was a comparable issue with a similar type of switch in some popular paper shredders.

Back