Fiber Optic Star Ceiling Pictures

brotsten

I finally got a night off after 2.5 months of wiring and fiber installation!

I finished installing my FOSI ceiling about two weeks ago. If anyone is interested in installing one it's labor intensive. I probably have ~250 - 300 man hours invested. I had planned a long weekend with a lot of help, so said the blind man.

We were under time constraints as there is living area above the theater. We didn't frame the rooms above the theater. We had to cut and remove the flooring above. The drywaller's came and hung and finished just the rock in the theater ceiling. We had to have an electrical and framing inspection done before we covered the floor again. I had to insulate before the floor went back on. I was in the middle of my low voltage wiring installation and the General Contractor (my wife) told me I was taking too long, just like she thought I would!

I wouldn't do it again unless I had unfinished attic space above, so you could take your time.

On the plus side, it's cool, it's really cool. FOSI designed these ceilings for the Rain Forest Cafe's. The original is larger then my ceiling, so they carve out the best looking piece they can to fit your dimensions.

Some of the stars twinkle, the Milky Way is dimmed, it has two animated shooting stars and a comet. Oh yea, and it's really cool..... :lol:

Here is a link to the installation it's part of a larger series of my entire house building which start here.

Brian

Brotsten,
That is one cool room and an even better location! I'd settle for the cabin in the background. It would be great to wake up to that view every morning. That's exactly the view I want when I retire. BTW what State is that?

That house is incredible, truly a dream home. I think I need to find a new job ... what is it that you do again? lol

Great install.

Thanks for the photo of the sub tender. Without it, I wouldn't have realized that we are practically neighbors. I live on Whidbey Island and would love to come and discuss the install with you sometime.

Mike

Thanks everyone.

The house is located in Poulsbo, WA. It's about 1 mile north of the Trident Submarine Base Bangor.

Google Earth's picture shows it when they had the foundation forms up, I was surprised it was that current. That was August last year I think.

The ceiling materials cost ~$2500.

Mike, I'll be ready to show it off as soon as it's done. What part of Whidbey to live on?

Brian

Attachments

• Aldo_House_Google_Earth.jpg
    Aldo_House_Google_Earth.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 47
Hi Brian,

I live in Oak Harbor. It's a pity you don't have an airport closer to you than Bremerton. It would be a simple flight down on a nice day. I see "Apex" is close, but it is listed as private on my charts. Do you know anything about that airport?

You can email me at [email protected] so we don't tie up this forum with chit chat...lol.

Mike

OzTEXS said:
so the fibre lighting isn't done yet .. right ??
It's complete except for the final trimming of the fibers at the ceiling.

The Sheetrock (2 x 5/8 with green glue, isolated with RISC clips) was completed yesterday. I've been unable to work in the theater because of the drywall stocked in the middle of the room.

I hope to get the fibers trimmed this week and see if I can make an animated .gif of the ceiling while it's running.

Brian

Hey Brian, I've been checking this thread every month to see if you have any updates.

How's the house coming? Is it completed? Can you put up some more pics of it? That's such a beautiful house, looks like it will provide you will many years of good times!

I can't wait to see that theater and the rest of the place once completed!

Happy new year to you and your family

Hey Brian, I've been checking this thread every month to see if you have any updates.

How's the house coming? Is it completed? Can you put up some more pics of it? That's such a beautiful house, looks like it will provide you will many years of good times!

I can't wait to see that theater and the rest of the place once completed!

Happy new year to you and your family

I uploaded some new pictures.

We are moved in, but I hate to show any pictures of the theater, or my wiring closet as they are both a mess. Never-the-less, I did. The house is complete except the theater which we stopped working on to concentrate on the rest of the house. Also, I still have a lot of wire to terminate. And get the CQC up and running... And.....

Brian

DSCF0325.jpg

WOW. I love the wiring can, my wife loves the Wolf stove. With all that equipment in the wiring closet, you might need a desk for programming.

Beautiful house.... I'm thinking of moving to oregon or washington wjen I retire... what is the weather like? Also how big is your house and how epensive is the area? Down here in the Bay Area a home that big would most likely be over $2 mil.

Back