First impressions of the ISY-26 - review

Next I will probably try W800RF32A->Elk M1-> Insteon Switch or W800RF32A->PowerHome->Insteon Switch, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Maybe I will wait to see how your experience goes with the ISY and if it works for you I will give it a try.

I would imagine PowerHome would trigger just as well with the W800RF32A.

I am seeing a slight delay with the RF, but it's due to RF and not the translation. Testing with hard buttons on my IR bridge through the powerline is more responsive. Even still, when I'm within decent range RF response from the keychain or palm pad is still pretty good. At the top of my driveway the delay is a bit worse, but still acceptable for my use. I'm just not use to X10 type delays anymore.

A buddy of mine thinks he has some X10 motions kicking around. I may get my hands on them shortly, and can post up some quick results. If they work OK, I'll probably throw a couple in closets to test out.

I'll post up my results.

I will probably try the W800RF with PowerHome first since that works with hardware available today. I will probably try W800RF->PowerHome-> Insteon Switch and W800RF->ELK M1->PowerHome->Insteon Switch.

Or maybe I will give up on X10 RF and go with a Pulsor strain sensor instead.

Well, if you have not tried a W800RF at all yet, you might be pleasantly surprised. I get pretty much flawless communication from my X10 RF devices to the W800RF receiver. From there, you should be getting just as good results out of your Powerhome/Insteon setup as I am with my HomeSeer/Insteon setup.

By the way, I am still using HomeSeer with a PLC/SDM configuration. Like you, I am holding off on the PLM until I am reasonably sure that firmware has matured as well as the PLM version of the HomeSeer plugin. I'm actually not having any real issues with my current HomeSeer/SDM/PLC combination so I am in no rush to change. It has been extremely reliable for me.

Good luck.

Jim H.

I now have an X10 indoor/outdoor motion sensor (the gray one). I set it up for address B1. It sends an X10 RF B1 ON command when motion is detected, then sends a B1 OFF command 1 minute after motion stops.

I set it up as a test in our master closet, with triggers set to turn the closet light on when X10 B1 ON is received, then back off when B1 OFF is received.

It's been working very well so far. My only concern is the delay before the light turns on - it's definitely not instant, more like 2 seconds. Not horrible, but instant would be nice.

I guess 2 seconds is reasonable for a cheap sub-$10 X10 motion, RF to a V572A, powerline through the X10 interface, to the Insteon PLM, to the ISY-26, triggered back to the powerline and finally to the light switch.

I now have an X10 indoor/outdoor motion sensor (the gray one). I set it up for address B1. It sends an X10 RF B1 ON command when motion is detected, then sends a B1 OFF command 1 minute after motion stops.

I set it up as a test in our master closet, with triggers set to turn the closet light on when X10 B1 ON is received, then back off when B1 OFF is received.

It's been working very well so far. My only concern is the delay before the light turns on - it's definitely not instant, more like 2 seconds. Not horrible, but instant would be nice.

I guess 2 seconds is reasonable for a cheap sub-$10 X10 motion, RF to a V572A, powerline through the X10 interface, to the Insteon PLM, to the ISY-26, triggered back to the powerline and finally to the light switch.

Would be interested to hear how it holds up if you place it in a high traffic area. This where things start to fail for me.

Before I moved it to the closet I had it sitting here in my office, linked to a test light on my workbench. As people walked by, the light would go on and then off after 1 minute reliably.

Seemed to work well. What kind of problem are you fearing?

I'm not sure if I'm eager to install motions in my high-traffic area, so don't think I'll be able to report back any long-term results with that.

On a related note, what are others using for X10 RF motion sensors? Anything better than the standard X10.com models?

Before I moved it to the closet I had it sitting here in my office, linked to a test light on my workbench. As people walked by, the light would go on and then off after 1 minute reliably.

I'm not sure if I'm eager to install motions in my high-traffic area, so don't think I'll be able to report back any long-term results with that.

Mostly worried about the light getting stuck ON because noise or something caused the OFF transmission to be missed.

Mostly worried about the light getting stuck ON because noise or something caused the OFF transmission to be missed.

Ahh. I was concerned about missing X10 commands as well, but with the RF receiver located close to the ISY-26 I haven't missed one yet. It's not in a high-traffic area, but I've been testing it periodically (maybe 30+ times yesterday) when I'm in the room.

I'm sure it's bound to miss a command every now and then, but it seems very reliable so far.

I'm personally more concerned about the sub-$10 X10 motion sensor's reliability, which is why I'm wondering if there's something better I should be using.

Ahh. I was concerned about missing X10 commands as well, but with the RF receiver located close to the ISY-26 I haven't missed one yet. It's not in a high-traffic area, but I've been testing it periodically (maybe 30+ times yesterday) when I'm in the room.

I'm sure it's bound to miss a command every now and then, but it seems very reliable so far.

I'm personally more concerned about the sub-$10 X10 motion sensor's reliability, which is why I'm wondering if there's something better I should be using.

I don't think there are many alternatives except for the motion sensor that goes with the barking dog alarm and th ones meant to be security sensors.

I just realized why I am likely seeing so many more issues than most... the area I am dealing with requires more than one sensor. I go from study to living room to front hall to dining room, hitting each in rapid sequence. All those on and off time cycles get overlapped and generate a lot of traffic, both RF and Powerline.

I think I will trash the X-10 RF approach and go with hardwired sensors to connected to an M1 (I'll use pulsors where I can't install a hard wired PIR). I know I have a tendancy to come out against all RF based technologies but this is a good example of why.

Edit-------

Just realized as I wrote this that I am in the process of planning 64 zones of Elk wireless security sensors... I must be a glutton for punishment!

I just realized why I am likely seeing so many more issues than most... the area I am dealing with requires more than one sensor. I go from study to living room to front hall to dining room, hitting each in rapid sequence. All those on and off time cycles get overlapped and generate a lot of traffic, both RF and Powerline.

I have had bad luck with simultaneous (or close to simultaneous) powerline commands as well, so I can imagine you'd see problems. Luckily during real-world usage I very rarely have anything going on simultaneously with my setup.

I think I will trash the X-10 RF approach and go with hardwired sensors to connected to an M1 (I'll use pulsors where I can't install a hard wired PIR). I know I have a tendancy to come out against all RF based technologies but this is a good example of why.

Absolutely. I'm not a fan of RF either, I go hardwired whenever possible. I have some hardwired motions for my security system that I plan on using with my automation project once my Elk M1 is setup. I plan on hardwiring anything important, whenever possible.

I like the idea of RF sensors for the places I don't feel are important enough to hardwire, since it's so cheap and easy to implement for me.

Back