Fit2-PC

rfdesq

Looking into the Fit-PC2 XP version, soon to be released. I want to use it with CQC, automation only not media server, and like the 6 watt power consumption. Thoughts?

Thoughts?
I think that is awesome.

I guess you'd use USB-serial adapter.

Any idea how to turn it into a media server?

I understand that 'conventional' PCIe expansion slots would be used for audio cards, etc., but how could I turn this into an audio server? Any ideas?

I've been looking for an affordable, off-the-shelf fanless PC for a couple months. This looks promising.

Thanks for sharing!

I've been waiting for this thing to come out for a while now. I'm also going to use it for my main cqc server and planning one using a external hard drive to store my media on. The only problem with the FitPC2 that the diskless version only comes with the smaller chipset and no wireless. I wish you could get it with the 1.6 chip and wireless with no HHD.

I've been waiting for this thing to come out for a while now. I'm also going to use it for my main cqc server and planning one using a external hard drive to store my media on. The only problem with the FitPC2 that the diskless version only comes with the smaller chipset and no wireless. I wish you could get it with the 1.6 chip and wireless with no HHD.
Based on your expertise as displayed in IVB's last CQC webinar, I'm definitely going to be picking your brain on this. The Fit will be available from Amazon.com very soon.

Based on your expertise as displayed in IVB's last CQC webinar, I'm definitely going to be picking your brain on this. The Fit will be available from Amazon.com very soon.

I think I should go into acting because I really feel like I'm anything but an expert. I'm new to CQC myself and just trying to find a stable cost effective system to load it onto. I would love to have a power house server like IVB but my budget has led me to go the cheaper and more energy efficient route. But that being said I would be happy to let you know what I've found online and the approach I plane to take.

OK how about Windows Home Server (WHS) running CQC on a Fit2-PC? Serial control via various USB-to-serial dongles and/or serial via ethernet. Maybe this doesn't work very well for the workstation backup functions which expect the WHS machine to have a bunch of HD space. I have zilch experience with WHS.

Or.

I have an extra copy of XP Pro I've been hoarding for several years. Plug an external optical drive into a Fit2-PC and I should be able to install XP Pro?

I'm going to need to feed a computer monitor from the DVI output. Can someone recommend a good quality DVI to VGA adapter?

The question is whether the DVI output in this piece of kit contains just digital. Most video cards with two outputs have one VGA and one DVI output. The DVI output often contains digital and analog at the same time. The analog can be extracted with the correct adapter.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product....=1&format=2

http:// DVI-I Dual Link Male to HD15(VGA) Female Adapter (Gold Plated)
none.gif
Use this adapter to change your DVI Connector to regular VGA Connector.

Some video cards have a dual display capability. Use this adapter to allow dual display.

There are two types of DVI Connectors: DVI Analog and DVI Digital. If your DVI is digital, this DVI Adaptor will not work. Please check your DVI Pins carefully whether this DVI adaptor will fit in.

For example, if you have ATI Radeon VE Dual Monitor graphic card, you need this adapter to change one of your DVI connector to VGA connector to enable your Dual Monitor capability.

The question is whether the DVI output in this piece of kit contains just digital.
I just did some more research. It is only digital. Standard DVI to VGA converter will not work. A USB to VGA adapter adds another $75 to the mix. Is the solution to set the box so it just acts as a server and use your desktop or laptop to interface with the box? Am I even close?

I would be hesitent to go with the Atom for CQC work. Tom's has done a few articles on the Atom and they all say with anything over internet viewing and email checking you will be waiting on the CPU. I just got CQC too, and I am going to be running it on my WHS that's an old X2 3800. I'm looking to run a touch screen for the CQC interfaces, and I plan on running them off a custom uATX I'm building (see my blog if you'd like more info). I wouldn't think the Atom would have problems running the client side of CQC, but running the backend I think would make it keel over.

--Jamie

I would be hesitent to go with the Atom for CQC work. Tom's has done a few articles on the Atom and they all say with anything over internet viewing and email checking you will be waiting on the CPU. I just got CQC too, and I am going to be running it on my WHS that's an old X2 3800. I'm looking to run a touch screen for the CQC interfaces, and I plan on running them off a custom uATX I'm building (see my blog if you'd like more info). I wouldn't think the Atom would have problems running the client side of CQC, but running the backend I think would make it keel over.

--Jamie

Not to CQC threadjack here, but why do you think the server has a higher load than the clients with CQC? I would guess that the client side is more CPU intensive than the server, assuming that the client is displaying nice graphics and that the server is just talking to a bunch of devices. On an atom I'd think the server could be serving up MP3's over the net and still be just fine. Do you have any data or specs that indicate that an atom based solution won't work?

--Jamie

Not to CQC threadjack here, but why do you think the server has a higher load than the clients with CQC? I would guess that the client side is more CPU intensive than the server, assuming that the client is displaying nice graphics and that the server is just talking to a bunch of devices. On an atom I'd think the server could be serving up MP3's over the net and still be just fine. Do you have any data or specs that indicate that an atom based solution won't work?

No data really at all. I'm about as new to CQC as you can be, but it was my understanding the server side of the software was where the heavy lifting was, and the client, while displaying the graphics, did little in the way of computational work. I could be as far off as Columbus was going to India. The articles I've read about the Atom though say that even simple things like an antivirus scan or transcoding audio takes 2X-3X times as long on that platform to low end desktop cpu's, ie athlon 4050e. I want to like the atom because of the power consumption, but I'm hesitant that in a year or so it will be a dog.

--Jamie

Remember my first post when I started this thread. I want it for automation only, not media. Does this change your mind?

Back