For the Insteon reliability naysayers

Here we go again… :D

It sounds as though we are confusing INSTEON technology with INSTEON-enabled products. The technology is dual-mesh; this means it is both powerline and RF.

The products can be any flavor of the technology:
1. RF only
2. Powerline only
3. Dual - RF and powerline

Hope this sheds some light on the difference between technology and product.

I'll try to answer the questions together:

1. Not a single device DOA.
2. Regarding reporting back in 6 months, will do. But I ran about 30 Insteon devices in my last house for about a year with 0 failures.
3. I do not have any SignalLinc's installed yet and have yet to find anything I can't link. That said, I have not installed the PLC and begun to integrate the Elk yet. I imgaine I will need to bridge phases for that.

Digger said:
With over 100 switches acting as repeaters I would hope you could link. In smaller installations such as mine (about 14 currently) I have some switches as close as 6 feet on the same circuit that wont link.

Every install is different and every location has different sources of noise etc.
THe point was that the shop lights are in a detached building and the signals have to go through 2 panels and a junction box to get there. I would be shocked if I had any communication issues inside the house ... I was pleasantly surprised that the long distance communication worked as well.

That said, I have not installed the PLC and begun to integrate the Elk yet. I imgaine I will need to bridge phases for that.

Try using the PLC and report back in a few weeks (please).............. also do you have any CFL's? If not that may be one reason why you dont have issues

1. RF only
2. Powerline only

Here we go again is right!

Smartlabmike,

Please name an Insteon product that is RF only or dual RF and powerline (that isn't the phase bridge)

Thanks
Dave

Event5 said:
1. RF only
2. Powerline only

Here we go again is right!

Smartlabmike,

Please name an Insteon product that is RF only or dual RF and powerline (that isn't the phase bridge)

Thanks
Dave
Wasn't his point that there are not any products that are RF? But that the technology / protocol supports the development of such products?

Which is accurate AFAIK. The lack of RF products is an issue no doubt, but Mike's statement was 100% accurate.

Wasn't his point that there are not any products that are RF? But that the technology / protocol supports the development of such products?

Which is accurate AFAIK. The lack of RF products is an issue no doubt, but Mike's statement was 100% accurate.

Yes his statement is accurate. The confusion is that they have a technology and a product with the same name. They "elluded" that there would be RF products but its been close to 2 years and there are still none. It may not have been intentional but it seems to be frustrating people that made a significant investment thinking that RF devices were going to be marketed. Maybe some day they will be but so far zip.

SH seems to be having difficulty with developing and releasing products with this technology (especially based on their schedule from a year or so ago). When they do they are having problems resulting in recalls and a high rate of exchanges. That causes the prices to increase (nearly double) in a short period of time I guess to cover the losses of the exchanges.

SH is having a tough time and I would imagine they have not even broken even let alone made a profit yet on this product line. Hopefully they are in this for the long run and can turn the corner and put all of this behind then.

At the risk of meandering from the thread a bit.

Some of this you all may have already heard.

I had the following INSTEON devices installed, they were all controlled by a PLC (or two) for about six months. The communications reliability was close to 99% (actual),
6 V2 wall dimmers, 1 KeyPadLinc, 5 V2 plug in dimmers and 5 V2 plug in appliance modules. I also had four 'new in the box' wall modules that never got installed. My largest issue was the fact that I could, and still can, kill the appliance modules with three different loads in my house. Ballasted fluorescent lights, a box window fan, and a 600 watt heater.

I now use wireless (Z-Wave) devices that can fulfill my humble switching needs. I have for ten months now, I am happy. I have had one Z-Wave wall dimmer fail. All of the plug in modules have worked well. In fact, the new Vizia-RF plug in modules make excellent fan speed controllers (disclaimer, I have only been testing these for two weeks). No buzzing or humming as compared to standard Z-Wave and INSTEON modules.

Ken

Edit added info:

Z-Wave might be more expensive: a standard plug in dimmer module sells for about $40.00. The new Vizia-RF modules that I purchased were about $60.00. The similar INSTEON ApplianceLinc device sells for about $35.00. You all can do the fine research on that.
k

AutomatedOutlet said:
No, the end devices have NO wireless component in spite of the marketing hype. The only device that has any wireless is the phase coupler.
WOW!

What should we think when the only other outlet for your products throws you under the bus.

I sure would love to see SH address the meaningful business questions about Insteon.

Smart Labs Mike, are you in Irvine? Is there any chance of getting feedback locally if not on line?

It looks like you have very few if any CFL bulbs in your home based on the devices you are using. That may mean you have less noise then someone like me and that seems to support the theroy that line noise has large effect on reliability.

Of course line noise has a large effect on reliability. What power line technology isn't affected by line noise?

That being said, I have probably 20 CFL bulbs installed in my house, 4 closets with fluorescent lights, a finished basement with 5 drop-ceiling fluorescent lights, and several UPSs (plus a dozen or so PCs).

My Insteon reliability has been extremely high from the beginning.

I have had a couple switches come in DOA and 1 that has died in action (I have a total of about 60 devices, oldest is 4 months or so old). This is my biggest Insteon complaint - Mike, please convince SmartHome to focus more on quality control!

Improved quality control and a few RF devices could make Insteon unstoppable, in my opinion.

I have a total of about 60 devices

With 60 devices you are probably overcoming the noise issue as well. I have about 7 more devices I have not installed that I recently purchased. I want to see if the quality improved or not. If it did then maybe things will work out.

Back