For W800RF32 users: Warren's new W800+ review

kwilcox

I depend on wireless X10 to drive my automatic lighting and had noticed that while WGL design's W800RF32 receiver did one heck of a job, it did have a few shortcomings.  For one, it was susceptible to RF noise such as that generated by track light transformers and some CFL lights.  Secondly, it didn't always pick up signals correctly when several X10 RF sources were transmitting simultaneously.  This one was a biggie for me because the accuracy and delay timing for my automatic lighting depends on sensors that send lots of signals.  I can twitch a finger in most automatic lighting controlled rooms and it'll fire wireless X10.

The issue I had was also twofold:  At night when the Library track lights were on at low illumination, X10 keypads sprinkled around the house weren't working reliably when the library was between them and the W800RF32 antenna.  The second issue I had was that my home office door is off the library, so entering the office requires first traversing the library.  This caused two motion sensors to go off simultaneously when I was headed to the office.  The desired automation sequence was library lighting engaged when I entered that room followed by office lighting as I entered the office.  However, the actual end result here was that 50% of the time, my W800RF32 would miss the initial sensor trip as I entered the office itself and fail to trigger the office lights.  This was because as I was enteringthe office, the Library sensor was still signaling that I was moving in that room.

Enter the W800+.  

Warren advertises this as a more sensitive plug & play replacement for the W800RF32 and he is pretty much spot on.  Mine arrived last week, and after a short bit of troubleshooting (it wasn't compatible with the USB/Serial adapter that I was using on the original W800RF32) I had it up and running.

Since then, reliability has returned to my X10 keypads and more importantly, the office lighting has never failed to trigger.

All in all, an impressive upgrade to an already great automation component.  Highly recommended for anybody looking for increased sensitivity/noise rejection and/or the increased ability to distinguish individual devices during simultaneous transmissions!

Nice to know!  More importantly, it's nice to see continued development in this area when so many niche products are dying off.  I may have to try the upgrade; I'm happy with my W800RF32 but it's not as sensitive as I'd like, and I use it to automated lights around the kids for things they either leave on or switches they can't reach - so it's important that they work reliably (not good having kids afraid of the dark).

kwilcox said:
 Mine arrived last week, and after a short bit of troubleshooting (it wasn't compatible with the USB/Serial adapter that I was using on the original W800RF32) I had it up and running.

Could you give some details about what you did to get this working?  This is my second W800+ unit that seems to be defective.  The first one wouldn't cause the green LED to blink to indicate an X-10 command was received and this second one wouldn't either at first.  I noticed there was an adjustable screw in the side, so I adjusted that a little and was finally able to get it to blink when X-10 commands are received.  However, the unit locks up and doesn't blink or send anything over the serial port when I connect it to my computer using the same USB/serial adapter that works fine with everything else including the W800RF32.  Disconnecting it doesn't work.  The LED doesn't blink until after I remove power and plug it back in again.

They advertise this as a drop in replacement for the W800RF32, but it definitely is NOT.  Either that or their quality control sucks.

I'd first check to see that the light is blinking with no serial connection at all. If it is then there's no issue with the w800+. My problem was an incompatible USB/Serial converter. My HA server uses two that happen to be made by different manufacturers so I simply swapped the connections for my W800+ and my UPB PIM. It worked fine on the other converter.

When on the incompatible USB/Serial adapter, the green light came on solid and never blinked.

edit: my old W800RF32 worked fine on the original USB/Serial adapter as well. Warren told me that the serial circuitry was updated in the W800+. Mine had the exact same issue that you describe in that it had to be power cycled once it locked up (green light on solid). Once I swapped converters, it had no issues.

I'll check to see if I can find the manufacturer for the converter that works. Its been a while since I installed it though. However, if you don't have another converter lying around, you might want to consider swapping it for the USB W800+ if the price difference is less than a new converter.

Thanks for the reply!  I'm glad it might be an easy fix assuming I can find a USB serial converter that works with it. I'm still irritated that WGLDesigns lies on their website advertising the unit as "This is a drop in, direct replacment for the original W800RF32A, but better."  I think all my USB serial converters are the Trendnet TU-S9 which is very popular and seems to work with everything except the W800+.  If you don't mind please let me know which serial converter you have and if I don't have a different model that works I'll try to get that one from newegg or amazon.

I'm almost positive that its a C2G 26886:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product/26886

It's hard to see the writing on the adapter itself, but it looks like "USB-??O" (??=unreadable). However, the picture in the link is exactly the same. My adapter also uses a prolific driver which matches the chipset description in the above specs as well.

The Prolific chipset is pretty dodgy. I don't know if it is really because there are a lot of unlicensed clones as the manufacturer claims, or it just isn't very good to begin with. I had trouble with USB-to-serial on my original W800RF as soon as I switched to Windows 7. (I don't have a W800+ although it's tempting.)

There is an alternative chipset for USB-to-serial functionality, FTDI. E.g. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156039 Seems much more reliable in my experience (and in the reviews).

Thanks for the review and heads up! I just ordered a unit from our friends at Automated Outlet. I too rely on X10 RF for non security system monitored window and door openings to trigger automation events like lighting or "Hey the xyz window is open and the HVAC is running, it's raining outside, you're arming the alarm to leave are you sure you want to leave the window(s) open, etc..." messages. You just can't beat the price of the modules!

I use USBGear USB-> RS232 mini adapters that use the FTDI chipset. I'll report back once I receive the W800+ as to whether it is plug compatible with the USBGear adapters.

+1 on prolific chipsets being a PITA. The USBGear FTDI implementation is buffered in hardware on both send and receive which make all the difference! Not to mention that they come with a send/receive light on the housing.

As an aside I'm using BraveSirRobin's quarter-wave antenna (very old thread)

-Ben

Was a bit delayed in getting the new W800+ due to being out of stock when I ordered. I Just finished installing and I can confirm that the USBGear USB -> RS232 mini adapters that use the FTDI chipset work without a hitch. The response time is definitely faster and as an added bonus the wall wart draws 50% less power than the original. (based on new 500ma vs old 1000ma power supply)

Now to score an inexpensive source of DS10s...

-Ben

The DS12A should work the same as a DS10A. Signal wise.
With a few differences between the DS10A and DS12A.
They have an internal magnet switch where the magnet is mounted next to the case to actuate it.
They also have a terminal block in them for a wired in external magnetic switch.
The internal and external zones are separate. So you register the internal and external zones as two separate zones.

Until my SC1200 console died. I used only the external zones on my DS12A modules. As mounting the magnet close enough to the case was not an easy task for my doors. In my case I only registered the external zone.

In the hourly check in message. Both the internal and external zones send a message. Even if one of the two is not registered in the console.

The W800 will probably receive both zone check in messages.

Back