Garage Door Open Logic

I've got a garage that has 4 overhead doors, one man door, and two windows. all of which have a door switch, running back to my Elk M1. I also have wiring set up but havnt acquired a motion sensor for the garage, but intend to shortly. My question is what are some grand ideas of how I can "manage" the garage with the elk M1?
Some questions
1. I have logic set up to email me if the doors are left open for 15 minutes. This is ok, but what if I'm using the garage? I need some "bypass" rules for them. If the motion sensor senses movment disable timer? what if its being berglerized... I'd want the timer to still notify me.   what rules/sensors/logic could I use to determine if I'm in the garage, and the doors should be open?
2. I'd like to control the lights, but so far I havn't gotten the urge to drop the $50 per insteon switch. Anyone have any cheaper alternatives for controlling 110v loads such as fluorescent lights? what do yall use for logic to control that lighting. I was thinking when the garage door opens, the lights come on for 10 minutes or similar.
3. what other fancy monitoring do other folks have set up in garage?

Wire relays to the openers to control the doors.
Arm the alarm and automatically shut the doors.

Wire the IR safety sensors to a zone and play a chime or other notification if someone enters the garage when the door is up.

Get a second RF receiver, wire it into a zone and arm and disarm the alarm when the doors are opened or closed.

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.  If your question is whether you can connect the second push button to the motor unit or to the control unit (the first push button), you probably can do it either way.  Since the other button is usually on the other side of the garage, while the motor unit is in the middle of the garage, it often is easier to run the wire to the motor unit since it is closer.

I use the stand alone RF receiver connected to the alarm panel so it is only interfaced with the in vehicle openers, not the hand held remotes.
That way you can be assured the vehicle is sending the signal and somebody didn't just steal the remote and registration and go to your house to rob it.

All of the remotes open the garage, but the hand helds will just open the door, the zone will still be tripped and you'll have to enter the house and input the code.

BraveSirRobbin said:
You mean like THIS?
I am just finalizing the wiring in my house, and we wired some cat6 to the location of the door opener motor, but not to the location of the remote control button.  I thought it was best to wire directly into the contacts on the unit instead of the remote button locations and was just looking for some clarification.

Yup here in the 1980's built a low voltage chase between the detached garage and the house.  That said ran LV wires just for the older Sears garage door opener.  I installed the button in the kitchen next to the phone at the time.  It did have a little blinking LED and a lock button on it along with a manual turn on of the garage door opener lighting.  The alarm panel at the time did talk (TTS) and had built in X10; so I made full use of it.

Helped a couple of friends with new home builds in the last few years doing the LV wiring.  I did run one extra cable from the garage door opener to the kitchen in both homes.  The kitchen in both homes was 1-2 rooms away from the garage.  The garage door button(s) were also wired adjacent to the entry way doors in both homes.

You mentioned integration of an alarm panel or automation.  You can also add another (extra) runs to where the alarm panel is going to be (maybe two or three) such that you will have more (more is better).

Its not really difficult if you have not finalized the wiring to add more. 

More is better and way cheaper than post build wiring.  I left all of the original garage stuff and just added more.

Personally just follow the safety stuff; I mean don't circumvent what is already built in; add to it if you want.

Back in the 90's I thought I had created that "perfect" logic relating to the detached garage, garage door, alarm panel, sensors etc.   It wasn't perfect and I almost didn't find out until it was too late.   My wife had driven home participating on a mobile conference call.  She pulled into the garage while still on the phone.  She sat in the garage with the car running while on the conference call.  All kinds of events triggered (my logic - ill fated I guess).  (alarm, lights so for and so on).  The garage door closed on her while she was in the car still on the conference all.  The garage door was supposed to close; turn off the alarm, this and that.  It did everything it was supposed to do; well too good I guess. 

She did panic a bit and it was an early very low WAF thing.  It could have killed her and it did ding the whole beginning of my automation efforts. 

Back to cabling; heck you can even add audio cables and video stuff to your garage; cost wise its very reasonable.

Yup; sad to say; some folks can't chew gum and walk at the same time.

This can cause ill fated automation logic; but this is my personal opinion.

This is my garage door auto close logic using Vera Home Z-Wave home Automation to DriveWay Motion Sensor 

* Warns garage is open at 5 minutes (regardless of motion) on the TV (WMC) and over the whole home audio (Text to Speech (TTS) running on WMC)
* Warns garage is open at 10 minutes (regardless of motion) via TTS and WMC
* Warns garage is open at 14 minutes AND if no motion is detected in the driveway for more than 14 minutes that garage will be closed
* Warns garage is open at 15 minutes via TTS and WMC and closes after playing a small Z-Wave siren (covered with tape to muffle sound to keep the decibals down)  for 2 seconds x 3 times.

Note - My motion sensor has a 4 minute timeout from the Motion to !Motion (Not Motion). YMMV

Specific Vera/PLEG logic below.  It also does a lot more like (turn on the lights when entry door to house is opened and turned off when no motion inside the garage for 10 minutes)...but I just showed the garage door logic that may be convertible logic to your Elk panel.

Triggers

Name

Description

ENT_Driveway_Motion

ENT - Driveway Motion armed is tripped

GRG_Overhead_Door_Open

GRG - Overhead Door Open armed is tripped

Conditions

Name

Repeat

Expression

GRG_Overhead_Door_Open_Alert

No

GRG_Overhead_Door_Open

GRG_Overhead_Door_Closed_Alert

No

!GRG_Overhead_Door_Open

GRG_Overhead_Door_Open_5min

No

GRG_Overhead_Door_Open and (GRG_Overhead_Door_Open ; NOW > 5:00)

GRG_Overhead_Door_Open_10min

No

GRG_Overhead_Door_Open and (GRG_Overhead_Door_Open; Now > 10:00)

GRG_Overhead_Door_Open_14min

No

GRG_Overhead_Door_Open and (GRG_Overhead_Door_Open; Now > 14:00) and (!ENT_Driveway_Motion; Now > 10:00)

GRG_Overhead_Door_Open_15min

No

GRG_Overhead_Door_Open and (GRG_Overhead_Door_Open; Now > 16:00) and (!ENT_Driveway_Motion; Now > 12:00)

LUA for Condition: GRG_Overhead_Door_Open_Alert
local status, result = luup.inet.wget("http://192.168.0.100:8080/record?ot=2&oid=7", 5)

local ttsMsg = "Outdoor Sensor Warning,, The Garage Overhead Door has been Opened"
local wmcTitle = "Outside_Motion"
local wmcMsg = "The Garage Overhead Door has been Opened"

host = "192.168.0.100"
local socket = require("socket")
local udp = socket.try(socket.udp())
socket.try(udp:sendto("VC.TriggerEvent&&Intercom", host, 33000))
luup.sleep(500)
socket.try(udp:sendto("tts.speak&&" .. ttsMsg, host, 33000))
luup.sleep(500)
socket.try(udp:sendto("VC.TriggerEvent&&HoloDeck", host, 33000))
luup.sleep(100)
tcp = assert(socket.connect(host, 40500))
tcp:send("msgbox \"" .. wmcTitle .. "\" \"" .. wmcMsg .. "\" 8")
tcp:close()

LUA for Condition: GRG_Overhead_Door_Closed_Alert
local status, result = luup.inet.wget("http://192.168.0.100:8080/recordstop?ot=2&oid=7", 5)

local ttsMsg = "Alert,, The Garage Overhead Door has been Closed"
local wmcTitle = "Alert"
local wmcMsg = "The Garage Overhead Door has been Closed"

host = "192.168.0.100"
socket.try(udp:sendto("VC.TriggerEvent&&Intercom", host, 33000))
luup.sleep(500)
luup.sleep(500)
socket.try(udp:sendto("VC.TriggerEvent&&HoloDeck", host, 33000))
luup.sleep(100)

LUA for Condition: GRG_Overhead_Door_Open_15min
local ttsMsg = "Warning,, the Garage Overhead Door has been opened for 15 minutes with no motion. I will close it now. Please clear the garage door area."
local wmcTitle = "Garage_Door"
local wmcMsg = "Garage Overhead Door has been opened for 15 minutes with no motion. I will close it now. Please clear the garage door area."

host = "192.168.0.100"
socket.try(udp:sendto("VC.TriggerEvent&&MainScreen", host, 33000))
luup.sleep(500)
luup.sleep(100)

Actions for Condition: GRG_Overhead_Door_Open_15min

Immediate

Device

Action

Arguments

Siren

SetLoadLevelTarget

newLoadlevelTarget=20

Delay 05

Device

Action

Arguments

Siren

SetLoadLevelTarget

newLoadlevelTarget=100

Delay 07

Device

Action

Arguments

Siren

SetLoadLevelTarget

newLoadlevelTarget=20

Delay 10

Device

Action

Arguments

Siren

SetLoadLevelTarget

newLoadlevelTarget=100

Delay 12

Device

Action

Arguments

Siren

SetLoadLevelTarget

newLoadlevelTarget=20

Delay 15

Device

Action

Arguments

GRG - Overhead Door

SetTarget

newTargetValue=1

Siren

SetLoadLevelTarget

newLoadlevelTarget=100

Delay 20

Device

Action

Arguments

Siren

SetLoadLevelTarget

newLoadlevelTarget=0

LUA for Condition: GRG_Overhead_Door_Open_14min
local ttsMsg = "Warning,, the Garage Overhead Door has been opened for 14 minutes with no motion. I will close it in 1 minute unless motion is detected."
local wmcTitle = "Garage_Door"
local wmcMsg = "Garage Overhead Door has been opened for 14 minutes with no motion. I will close it in 1 minute unless motion is detected."

host = "192.168.0.100"
socket.try(udp:sendto("VC.TriggerEvent&&MainScreen", host, 33000))
luup.sleep(500)
luup.sleep(100)

Actions for Condition: Garage_Auto_Lock

Immediate

Device

Action

Arguments

GRG - Foyer Door Lock

SetTarget

newTargetValue=1

Thank-you AgileHumor for providing your script functions relating to your garage door stuff to the Cocoontech folks.  I do similiar for the garage doors today turning on or off multiple UPB switches.

Yup here over did it a bit adding multiple analog sensors to the HAI OPII panel plus TTS (garage is a TTS audio zone - lately speaking in a variety of languages to bug my wife)  and CCTV.

I just use an output to disable the garage door notifications I have programmed. If I go work in the garage I just flip the output in ekeypad or the elk m1 windows software and if that output is off it doesn't send the whole home tts notifications or the cell phone call that normally happens at 10 minutes. The output turns back on at midnight every day.

Yup; here use an analog button to shut off the similiar notifications.  They get reset though when I shut the garage door.

Back