General questions on new home automation setup

Is there something equivilant to the USB-UIRT that is around the same price that I can get expidited shipping on? I want to play with all of this stuff this weekend :eek:

Ok, ok, I'll start with UDP...that sounds like it will enable 2way talking, and radio waves for my wireless mic's and stuff like that. Now, unfortunately, I am back to squre one. I need everything that will enable me to control ONE lightswitch for my starting...i want it to be able to dim and controlable by my computer. Now, where the heck do I go to get everything necessary and what are the essential pieces necessary to get this started?

Yes, start with UPB. It takes only two parts, a computer interface and a switch, plus the free UPSTart software you can download. The computer interface is this: UPB Computer Interface
Then you need a switch, either a dimer, or outlet, or plugin module. One GREAT thing about UPB is that most switches are both dimmers for incandescent lights or on/off only switches for ceiling fans, flourescent bulbs, etc.

If you need good places to buy these, try e-Bay, Automated Outlet (a supporter of this board) or one of a bunch other places.

So:
1) Computer interface (serial or USB)
2) UPB switch of your choosing
3) Free UPStart software.

Is there something equivilant to the USB-UIRT that is around the same price that I can get expidited shipping on? I want to play with all of this stuff this weekend :eek:

Wait, why do you want a USB-UIRT? That is a device to emit or receive IR commands. Stay focused. :p

Ok, just one last question before I start buying UDP. Will UDP work with wireless devices, such as a wireless mic, or a wireless sensor? If not, should I go z-wave then? If I go z-wave over UDP, will my z-wave work between levels of a house and through walls?

I would like a technology that is 2 way, works with wireless through walls / up levels, and also works with hard wiring in the house...is that UDP?

Yes, i am easilly distracted....

I am leaving the office now, but will look at the quick start guides from teh link provided and thank you :eek:

Is this a joke? First of all it's UPB and not UDP, secondly UPB is just a protocol and not a "system". You will need some software or hardware to tie all of the parts you have mentioned together. What software are you going to use to connect your mics to?

Another software package you may want to try out is Home Control Assistant (HCA). The software can control X-10, UPB, and Insteon, plus support for certain weather stations and infrared device control. I have used it for over 10 years to control first X-10, and then UPB when that became available and I switched over. I like it because it is extremely reliable, has excellent tech support, and has an incredibly easy to use graphical programming environment, which is very easy to learn. However, it also offers scripting capability if you find there are things it doesn't do that you need. It comes with a built in web interface for control from a browser. They offer a free 30 day trial of the full verison (HCA Plus), or an unlimited trial of their basic version, which doesn't have all the features. You can use it with the CM11A and cheap X-10 to play around.

You can find the trial verisons at: hcatech . com / index.php?sid=products&pid=free_trial

+1 for what ano said. X-10 sucks. I had it in my old house and it was garbage. Not only did I have communications problems, but I had one switch actually melt. It was so cheaply made that I was afraid it was going to burn my house down. I don't know if this has ever happened to anyone, but I don't feel comfortable using that stuff.

If you're just buying a couple of devices to test with, it's not a huge investment even with nice switches. Go for something like UPB or Z-wave. If you decide to move to something else in the future, then you still only have a small investment in them.

Here's where I would start though:
- Find out what kind of alarm system you have and if it provides any home automation capability. It probably doesn't if it's not an ELK or HAI unit
- Find out if the system you have will interface with CQC or HomeSeer. If it will, you'll probably have to get a serial port expander or an IP interface for it.
- Evaluate CQC, HomeSeer, J9 Automation Engine (commercial), or Domotiga and MisterHouse (open source/free)
- Get a couple of test switches (UPB or Z-wave) and play around with everything

If your alarm panel does not provide some HA functionality and will not integrate with any of the software, then you may wish to consider getting a panel that does. I'm doing all of my home automation with my ELK M1G right now, and a copy of eKeypad for the iPhone for control. I don't have a separate software package running right now. A good panel provides the inputs and outputs for data gathering and control, and if your PC dies, can still provide control of your house.

If you want to play around with switches, then go buy some decent ones to test with so you don't get frustrated and pissed off because they suck. But, I think your #1 priority should be researching the capabilities of your existing alarm panel and figuring out if it will integrate with a software based automation engine, and if it won't, then consider upgrading it.

I originally started out with just security in mind. I bought the ELK M1G. After reading about all of the capabilities, I very quickly started putting in automation rules and controls. My next project is to use it for pump control on a hydronic heating system so I don't have to spend $350 for a pump controller. Speaking of which, I need to post a question about that now.

Is this a joke? First of all it's UPB and not UDP, secondly U{B is just a protocol and not a "system". You will need some software or hardware to tie all of the parts you have mentioned together. What software are you going to use to connect your mics to?
Rupp, it's UPB, not U{B :eek:

I couldn't agree more with signal15, and some of the other posts. Almost every software package is available in an unrestricted trial version, so you can test drive them all.

X-10 can work ok, but you probably will have to invest in filters, good coupler, and you still won't get the quality/features of some of the other technologies. If you really want X-10, then I suggest you look at INSTEON, most of the INSTEON hardware is backwards compatible with X-10. There are some some people here who have very reliable and impressive X-10 setups (after years of tweaking), I'm sure they will chime in and can help you out.

IMO, UPB and Z-Wave are the better choices long term (and are a better investment), but I think you need to figure out first what you truly want long term, and how far you are willing to go (read: $$$).

Ok, just one last question before I start buying UDP. Will UDP work with wireless devices, such as a wireless mic, or a wireless sensor? If not, should I go z-wave then? If I go z-wave over UDP, will my z-wave work between levels of a house and through walls?

I would like a technology that is 2 way, works with wireless through walls / up levels, and also works with hard wiring in the house...is that UDP?

O.K. again there are TWO main technologies used today to control lights, UPB and Z-Wave. UPB transmits over the powerline, like X-10, but its much more reliable, so were you have wires, you have signal (give or take). Z-Wave is a wireless mess technology and does communicate wirelessly, but also it does have a limited range through walls, etc. With just one computer interface and one switch this could be limiting, but once you get more, the mess networking takes care of the range problem.

Almost all home automation programs support both UPB and Z-Wave, along with usually a bunch others.

And as Dan says, Home Automation can range from expensive to extremely expensive, so know what you are getting into. You can easily pay several thousand dollars just for light switches, and that's just the start. Do some estimates first to find out if what you want to do is in your budget, and take what you calculate and triple it. :eek:

Thanks for all of your help and patience guys!!! I just ordered the above items (two of the switches), and I will be playing around with them this weekend :eek:

I will get the software listed when I get the items in the mail.

Back