Getting a true 240 FPS from your eBay card

Do you really think that Active Webcam with the open source BT drives is typical for CPU loading? If the cpu requirements numbers on the AWC site are true for all software/driver combos, then NOBODY would be able to run 16 x 30 fps. AWC states that it would take a 19.2 Ghz processor for 16 channels of 160x120 at 30 fps. Don't a lot of the pro DVRs claim 16 x 30fps? Granted they cost a couple thousand dollars, so they are not DIY, but I doubt Intel or AMD makes them 20 Ghz processors and I think they are mostly PC based.

Has anybody been able to get Kodicom to work with the open source BT drivers? Or been able to get AWC working with the drivers supplied with the Kodicom CD? That would give us a clue how much of a factor the drivers play, but other than that, I cannot explain it myself.

I see a similar cpu load with my pinnacle TV card, and have seen the same numbers with other software such as VisionGS. I think the Kodicom software has special drivers to access the hardware directly instead of dealing with DirectX/WDM, and lower the cpu load that way.

I now have been using the diginet software for over a few weeks, and love it.

I'm not going back to active web cam or blueiris. They both require too much interaction.

From what I read on another board (CCTV forums), kodicom ver 4.11 is the best for the knock off boards.

The client software is really not too hard to set up, and it works really well. Very smooth video stream and control over the network.

To get the client to work: turn off your windows built-in firewall (I use an external one built into my router)
set the site to 100-001, put in your ip address, and it works great.

The web server is also really nice.

I decided that it is actually better that I don't have an RDP connection to it, because I haven't tinkered with it too much and instead its been recording 24-7. I did get a KVM switch for easier access to that computer though.

I too was initially irritated that it turns off the computer when you try to exit until I learned that
CTRL + ALT + Shift + F4 exits the program while leaving the computer running.

I also I've been using the Start menu button on the keyboard to launch programs while diginet runs in the background.

I wish the program would e-mail me or otherwise alert me if there is motion. I may just go back to motion sensors connected to homeseer to cover that aspect.

Would you mind taking some screenshots of the configuration panel, so we can see how flexible it is? I am disappointed to hear that it doesn't support motion notification.

Sorry its taken me so long to do it, but I finally took a couple of screenshots of the configuration panel. The configuration panel is huge, but here are some of the most important sections:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a328/hgupta/tech/

I would recommend that you download the software and take a look at the manual as there are a lot more options.

Apparently the real kodicom systems (not the ones from ebay) have input and output control boards so that you can interface it with your alarm system or other device. For example, you can have the software trugger your alarm system when motion has been detected, or you can have an external motion sensor tell the kodicom system to begin recording. The real kodicom system could easily interface with homeseer or other programs. I am trying to figure out a way to make it work as is, but if I had a couple grand to spend, I would get the real system.

Well the reason I like video based motion detection is that you get a better range, and you don't have to invest in expensive motion sensors. Thanks for posting those screenshots, the software does look pretty cool, and probably will switch to that if I do get the Kodicom card someday. What options does that 'Motion tracking setup' tab give you?

The motion tracking tab is for people who have special PTZ cameras. The software can follow the moving object. I would love to get one of those cameras.

I agree that camera based motion sensors are much more configurable and reliable.

After playing with the system a little more, I was able to get the software to alert me on other computers when motion was detected. I used the Emergency Monitor feature which would pop up a window on my other computers connected to the network telling me which camera had detected motion, and the time that motion was detected. Apparently, the diginet software sends a message over port 8085 to the specified IP address. The listening computer has to be running the Emergency Monitor software included with Kodicom diginet. When the Emergency Monitor software receives a message from diginet. It pops up an image that looks like this:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a328/hgupta/tech/em.jpg

Hopefully I can get girder or homeseer to use this information to launch programs, turn on lights or e-mail me or something. Does anyone have any ideas how to do this?

Kodicom seems pretty complete except for the notification option. Does Active Home Pro or EZ Watch Pro have these features for cell phone notification or sending commands to turn on lights or other actions through you alarm system?

I started dreaming about motion tracking cameras. How cool would it be to mount a laser pointer on the motion tracking camera. There isn't a thug in town that would stick around to see if what happens.

Having messed about with "Gotcha" "Active Web cam" which secured 1 prosecution I was totally fed up with having to tweak everything all the time. Three cameras on Osprey stacked boards, two on USB via Hauppage and another old TV card forcing it to use the drivers I wanted it to use, the whole thing was a nightmare. I spent more time getting things working each day than was viable.
Along came Kodicom (via Ebay) and I grabbed it with both hands. version 4.11.
This was the answer!!
Ok, so its a little difficult to set up but we got there in the end.
Only one system crash, for no apparent reason in the middle of the night.
Gone are the "touchy" effects from radio cams via AWC.
Rock steady pictures.
Great video!!
If you want PTZ its easy with Visca cable and adaptors (ebay) connect via Cat 5 cable direct to the camera via your serial ports, download the freeware PTZ software, as the Kodicom PTZ is only for complete systems.
So now we have all 8 cameras, 3 PTZ and I can do other things at last!!
Any info I can give you please let me know.
Thanks for the sofware updates and the real manuals. Most welcome!!
Brendon_grimshaw

Hey brendan, do you use the motion detection or continous recording?

I am afraid of killing a harddrive from constant writing.
Also, have you figured out how to use the other utilities like the remote backup server? I am afraid that a crook is going to take this computer that I use for security, and if they do, I want to make sure that I can still give evidence to the cops.

Hi,

I use the motion detection using the selected area option.

Yes I must say the backup or deletion of records is a little sketchy but I will resolve the issue and let you know.

As for hard drives wearing out I don't think this is an issue. The only thing to watch for is a temperature rise above the manufacturer’s specification.

The same goes for processors. I have a machine with its processor running at 100% for three years now on the SETI project and temperature is the killer. A general principle is that each 10 degree C rise in temperature will reduce the life of an electronic component (mainly ICs, but also electrolytic capacitors) by a factor of 10. At the rated maximum operating temperature (which is 70 degree C ambient for most ICs, but processors which generate lots of internal heat are specified for the internal silicon temperature), the component life will be at least 5 years of operation.

There may be an answer to the e-mail notification in the latest update, as in AWC, which I was about to install, so I will let you know. Personally I have a PIR, which fires a recorded message in my office if I am out with the obvious remarks about Internet storage of pictures and Oh! By the way you’re nicked! Whether a thief would take any notice is another matter, so all my PC's and monitors are firmly attached to the floor with wire cables of considerable strength. I would think the message playing over and over each time they move, plus the wires should put them off.

Update later, possibly!

I finally have the 8 port card off of E-bay, and my CCTV camera. I have tried to follow the directions that came on the Kodicam disk, but so far I have not had any luck. I have the camera sitting on top of my pc, with a short BNC adapter.

Does anyone who has installed one have any pointers?? Do I need to install the client or the site program?? Do I need to have a seperate disk partition? I am planning on having a seperate disk just for the video capture.

My next question is there a simple way to know it the card is working? This way I know if the problem is with the card or the program.

Any advice or guidence will be welcome!!

Steve

After re-re-re reading all the posts about the Kodicam, I realized what I had not done-- partition my c: drive. I partitioned my drive, and it looks like everything is working. Or atleast I know have a image on my screen!!

The camera I purchased uses a RS 485 connection in order to Pan and Tilt. I have a question I know I should know the answer to, but I don't-- Are all rs-485 networks the same?? I have one already for my RCS Hub. Can I wire the camera to this or do I need to install a seperate one???

What program is needed to control the Pan and Tilt??

Thanks for the help

Steve

Scrambled said:
Are all rs-485 networks the same??
Steve, not all RS-485 networks are the same. I would not be surprised if no two RS-485 networks were the same. :8)

Normally they use DB9 connectors, and I know of three different pin-outs used on equipment that I have. Then there is the issue of half/full duplex, although most are half duplex. Baud rates can run the gamut from 2400 to a couple of megabaud. finally, the RS-485 spec only covers hardware, there is no attempt to cover protocols.

But most RS-485 devices are pretty adaptable. You will most likely have to make your own cable. You would have to set the camera for the correct baud rate. And you would have to squeeze the camera's protocol onto the line with the RCS stuff, which the software may not allow.

An additional RS-485 adapter may be easier.

Back