Getting a true 240 FPS from your eBay card

Just read through this thread. Interested in creating a system for full-security system, happen to have almost a complete spare PC that I could use.

I don't have an issue spending $2K if I can get total piece of mind, but obviously I'd seriously rather not.

1) I found eBay 5844256716 , which is an 8ch Kodicom card for $140. Can I use this? Why is this not considered a "real kodicom" system?
2) On this vendor's page, there's an 8ch card for $400, another for $740. Is that the "real kodicom" card, so I'm saving $250-$600 via eBay?
3) I notice some cards only have 1ch of audio. I don't think that's an issue, as I'd only use it at the front door, but am I thinking too small?
4) I couldn't quite follow the train of thought - do I get PTZ and motion detection with this card? If not, would I with the real deal Kodicom?
5) If I put this into a dedicated PC, could I install the Diginet client s/w on other PCs to view the cameras?

Hey IVB!

Kodicom only sells complete systems (the computer bundled with software and controllers)..the cards on Ebay are copies that are unsupported by Kodicom.

I haven't really used the audio feature on mine: I place my cameras where they are generally unreachable by visitors. I can't imagine that the microphone on the cameras would pick up any noise.

You only get PTZ on this card if you have a real kodicom camera. You do get motion sensing though.

Finally, the software is designed to be run on a dedicated PC. It does come with "Remote" versions that are installed on the other PCs so you can tap into the computer and observe and control the system from a remote site.

I've been happy with my setup, but if I had the money, I would go with a real Kodicom system. I like that the real system can tie in with a home security system for greater peace of mind. I think I went the right route though...when I get enough money I am going to get a real system with 8 cameras, and add my 8 camera card to it so that I have a nice 16 camera system.

So are there any hacks or info out there to utilize the alarm functions of the eBay card? I mostly would like for its motion detection to alert my HA system, but triggering recording from my HA or even wiring sensors directly to it would be interesting too.

I also have a couple Swan 4-channel cards that I never could find an alarm adapter/header for either if anyone has experience with them...

Vaughn

hgupta1--

I have just started using the Kodicom card, and for now only have 1 camera connected to it. The good thing is it is a pan tilt, and I have control of the Pan and Tilt through both the site and client programs. When I figure out more about it, I will let you know.

Steve

Thats great... what brand ptz camera did you get?

My cameras did finally record a crime. Not at my house, but at a neighbor's place across the street. Somebody took a large flower pot from her yard in the middle of the day. But it looked like footage of Bigfoot because it was so far away and out of focus! At least I know that I can access it when I need to.

did eBay crack down on these cards? After pricing out the real deal system, i opted to build my own. However, there haven't been kodicom clones on eBay for a few weeks now...

hgupta1 said:
Brendan, where did you find an Nvidia card with ATI chip? Anyways, I just built a second machine for my parents with a pentiumIII 800, and a super cheap video card (compusa PCI Radeon 7000 card with 32MB). Diginet wouldn't work with it because the memory was too low. I then got a better one (EPox ATI card with 128 MB ram, VGA, DVI, and TV-out) and it works great. ($34 from Newegg)

ver0776 was right, picture is great on the monitor, but no video on the TV-out. So don't waste your money trying to do a dual display.

ver 4.13 of diginet does try to prevent you from running other programs. alt-tab and the keyboard start button don't work. I was able to program hot-keys that allow me to launch a web browser or remote desktop to my main computer.

It also hogs up the com port! I was going to connect my cm11A to that port!
Hi hgupta1

What do you mean by "Diginet wouldn't work"

I am currently helping my friend to install the hardware/software and i am having problem installing DigiNet Site. I Have tried 4.11 & 4.12 but the software just won't load/run under winXP

The spec for the system
Intel Celeron D336 2.8G 64 Bit
Asus P5P800-MX (onboard VGA)
1GB RAM
Seagate 300GB HDD

The problem might be the onboard VGA?

Video is a good bet. At least borrow a video card for long enought to confirm. I had to rearrange my video cards (and motherboards!) but you should be ok with that M/B. For sure, it is not WinXP though, so don't worry about the OS.

Vaughn

bsk81 said:
What do you mean by "Diginet wouldn't work"

The problem might be the onboard VGA?
It wouldn't work with a Video card with only 32MB of RAM.. I don't remember the exact error...but the camera screens were all black (even though other parts of the display were visible. When I got an ATI card with 128 MB of RAM, everything worked great.

From what I can gather, later versions of Diginet require ATI video cards, or they just won't work. That onboard graphics card probably won't cut it.

For my Diginet PC, I picked up a Mobility Radeon 9600 here for $40 after rebate. Works perfectly and I can watch DVD's while Diginet continues to run on the same PC.

bsk81, set your video settings to true color 32bit, and 1024x768 resolution, that should fix your black screen (image) problem.

Earlier in this post, someone said they used blueiris to view cameras attached to their kodicom card, I was wondering how you got it to work? Any details would be greatly appreciated.
My site works perfectly, but since my job is behind a firewall, I am unable to view it from there. I am looking for any alternatives, besides buying a new card with different software.

Your company's firewall is so strick it won't let you look at port 8080? I guess I have heard a company or two doing that, but that is harsh...

Vaughn

To view the cameras on your home computer from work you might try using some remote software program such as GoToMyPC. That should bypass the firewall with no problem.

Back