Got my new home , Ready to work

What is included in $20K price? You can try to find an installer who specializes in security systems, but would not wish to sell his system to you and instead install the HAI panel. You  may need to get yourself a PC Access software and program the system to your liking, that will save you $$.

There we did a tear down and new build.  (old house was built in the middle 1950's). 

The contractor included a pre-wire for the alarm system from a local vendor.

I do recall reviewing the prints prior to construction and redoing a bunch of stuff; well mostly relating to wiring closet et al; penciling in my changes then having them approved by the architect.  (well also plumbing stuff and added in cement chases).

I also got a 2 day opportunity to add my LV stuff and a bit more for the alarm.    The wiring was very professionally done.  I installed the HAI OPII panel myself double checking each connection.  It's been a few years now and all is running fine. 

The pre-wire was done by a company in the area that has been around a long time.  Maybe they could do something for you (note that they are on the gulf side).

Dehart Alarm Systems, Inc.

Phone: (941) 365-1991
Fax: (941) 366-4225
863 Commerce Blvd N, Sarasota, FL 34243-5041

www.dehartsystems.com

The company prewired the new home in 2000.  They have been in business since the 1960's.

Maybe they could recommend someone locally if they cannot do it.

guys any recommendation on where the best places to get my gear from.

Also for door and window sensors , do they have to be elk or HAI to work with the system.

mistert said:
guys any recommendation on where the best places to get my gear from.

Also for door and window sensors , do they have to be elk or HAI to work with the system.

Automated Outlet is a supporter of Cocoontech, and they are very good at providing support when you need it. Many folks here have had good experiences with them.  Rather than just ordering online, call them up and discuss your entire order with them and see what price they can give you.

There are places that may have somewhat lower prices, but many won't give you the time of day when you run into a problem.

For wired door and window contacts, you can go with any brand.  For wireless, you will need sensors that are compatible with the Omni Pro II wireless receiver (assuming you are going with an Omni Pro II system), which is compatible with GE/Interlogix 319.5 MHz sensors.

For wired sensors, the story is the same with the M1.  Any brand of wired door or window contact will work.

For wireless sensors, Elk gives you 3 choices, based on which wireless receiver you connect to the M1.

The M1XRF2H is compatible wit Honeywell/Ademco 5800 series wireless sensors.

The M1XRFEG is compatible with GE/Interlogix 319.5 MHz sensors.

The M1XRFTW is Elk's own proprietary two-way wireless system and only works with Elk's wireless sensors.

Hey guys what recommendation do you have for home Automation gui that works with upb and zwave. only I am finding is homerunner Interface ,but they don't support upb or zwave

so I have made contact with bill @ automated outlet and I feel at like I have won the pot of gold :D  Thanks guys

Hey guys things have continued to progress pretty well so far. I hope to have my panel up and running by the end of the month. I did have a question about software though. I know that HAI has Automation Studio available, but after seeing what kind of awesome GUI'sI could create with Hstouch designer  I was hoping to find something similar. Here are the criteria for me .

Able to integrate with HAI system with little or no cost
Support windows and Android
provided status update
Support upb/ Whole house audio

Homeseer can do much of this but at a very high price tag after you count in the licenses and all the needed plugins. Also Homeseer requires that I purchase a new Automation controller, which then begins to create a redundancy for me since HAI is already a Controller.

Pete-c  I hope that you are able to chime in on this.

You do not need another automation controller. 

Homeseer software allows for connectivity to a variety of hardware automation controllers. 

The OmniPro can be a multiprotocal controller with one connection to Homeseer.

The OmniPro 2 while a bit aged in design today functions just fine as a combination security automation panel. 

It was made to last a long time and while there have been firmware updates; It is relative to your need or wants of automation. 

Some folks are happy with firmware and automation on the OPII panel circa 2005 and have never changed it.

I have automation blocks (programming lines) of stuff in the OmniPro 2 panel that I have not touched in years.  The logic for the events / triggers really never changed.

I use Homeseer 2/3 as an addendum to the OmniPro 2.  It compliments its functions.  Because my home is a sandbox of my tinkering I have duplicated automation controllers.  (literally). 

HS Designer talks to Windows, Android or iOS.  IFTTT, smartphones or wireless tablets or pc's with touchscreens.  It is not perfect.  It allows you to be very creative easily.

It really depends on what exactly you are looking for.  No cost would be a DIY solution using OpenHAB.  Play with the OpenHAB console designer and see if it fits. 

The paid for consoles are either static or dynamic and the HAI Automation Studio is proprietary to HAI consoles / software.  Play with Homeseer 3 Designer.  Try CQC. .

provided status update

Support upb / Whole house audio

You can make it work with either the panel or Homeseer or both.  It is up to you.  Best to give it a try.  Note that the Homeseer 3 beta OmniPro plugin is not finished.

Here I put a mini serial server on my audio such that it is controlled by the OmniPro panel or Homeseer server or both.  I also control the audio via keypads and Omnitouch screens and Homeseer screens. 

Best to tackle this endeavor in baby steps a la carte.  You will not be able to test OmniPro2 hardware stuff and return it if you do not like it.  You can test Homeseer 3 stuff for 30 days for free.

I have no automation dependencies on my purchased non contract cell phones.  Never have.  I utilize multiple SIMs and sometimes just pick a phone and sim card, leave the house and never turn on the phone.

pete_c said:
You do not need another automation controller. 
Ok so then how do I get homeseer to interface with my Omnipro 2.
pete_c said:
Homeseer software allows for connectivity to a variety of hardware automation controllers. 

The OmniPro can be a multiprotocal controller with one connection to Homeseer.

The OmniPro 2 while a bit aged in design today functions just fine as a combination security automation panel. 

It was made to last a long time and while there have been firmware updates; It is relative to your need or wants of automation. 

Some folks are happy with firmware and automation on the OPII panel circa 2005 and have never changed it.

I have automation blocks (programming lines) of stuff in the OmniPro 2 panel that I have not touched in years.  The logic for the events / triggers really never changed.

I use Homeseer 2/3 as an addendum to the OmniPro 2.  It compliments its functions.  Because my home is a sandbox of my tinkering I have duplicated automation controllers.  (literally). 
I like the HAI Snaplink interface, I just think that its a bit old. Homeseer's interface has the wow factor.  I love how I would be able to complete recreate the image of the house and have the devices in the exact location as the would be in the house.
pete_c said:
HS Designer talks to Windows, Android or iOS.  IFTTT, smartphones or wireless tablets or pc's with touchscreens.  It is not perfect.  It allows you to be very creative easily.

It really depends on what exactly you are looking for.  No cost would be a DIY solution using OpenHAB.  Play with the OpenHAB console designer and see if it fits. 

The paid for consoles are either static or dynamic and the HAI Automation Studio is proprietary to HAI consoles / software.  Play with Homeseer 3 Designer.  Try CQC. .
OpenHab is not even a an option. Can I run HS or CQC on my tablets and phone without getting a controller or hub. If so please explain.
pete_c said:
provided status update

Support upb / Whole house audio

You can make it work with either the panel or Homeseer or both.  It is up to you.  Best to give it a try.  Note that the Homeseer 3 beta OmniPro plugin is not finished.

Here I put a mini serial server on my audio such that it is controlled by the OmniPro panel or Homeseer server or both.  I also control the audio via keypads and Omnitouch screens and Homeseer screens. 

Best to tackle this endeavor in baby steps a la carte.  You will not be able to test OmniPro2 hardware stuff and return it if you do not like it.  You can test Homeseer 3 stuff for 30 days for free.

I have no automation dependencies on my purchased non contract cell phones.  Never have.  I utilize multiple SIMs and sometimes just pick a phone and sim card, leave the house and never turn on the phone.

Ok so then how do I get homeseer to interface with my Omnipro 2.

Just put the IP and keys in the set up for the Homeseer 3 OmniPro plugin configuration.

I like the HAI Snaplink interface, I just think that its a bit old. Homeseer's interface has the wow factor.  I love how I would be able to complete recreate the image of the house and have the devices in the exact location as the would be in the house.

There are quite a few users that have done this with HSDesigner and some free home designer application and overlaying their devices over a 3D sort of picture of their home.

Can I run HS or CQC on my tablets and phone without getting a controller or hub. If so please explain.

What you run on a tablet or phone is a console to the software application running on a box in Windows or Linux (HS3).  The software application connects to a piece of hardware that can be considered a controller.  IE: UPB, X10, Z-Wave, Insteon et al.  Well and there is more.  than controllers of lighting automation (or more).  I have 16 plus hardware devices (controllers) plugged in to one box.  I use 1-wire temperature sensors.  These plug in to a serial controller called a Temp-08.  It is a 2-Wire network.  Another connection is for irrigation.  Goes on and on.  Many folks today on the the Homeseer forum utilize only Z-wave for all of their automation trinkets.

Back