Got my new home , Ready to work

pete_c said:
Ok so then how do I get homeseer to interface with my Omnipro 2.

Just put the IP and keys in the set up for the Homeseer 3 OmniPro plugin configuration.

I like the HAI Snaplink interface, I just think that its a bit old. Homeseer's interface has the wow factor.  I love how I would be able to complete recreate the image of the house and have the devices in the exact location as the would be in the house.

There are quite a few users that have done this with HSDesigner and some free home designer application and overlaying their devices over a 3D sort of picture of their home.

Can I run HS or CQC on my tablets and phone without getting a controller or hub. If so please explain.

pete_c said:
What you run on a tablet or phone is a console to the software application running on a box in Windows or Linux (HS3).  The software application connects to a piece of hardware that can be considered a controller.
Pete this is where you keep losing me "The software application connects to a piece of hardware that can be considered a controller."    I thought that yyou already said that I could run homeseer3 without a controller.

Sorry if I am driving you nuts, I am trying to wrap my mind around this.
pete_c said:
  IE: UPB, X10, Z-Wave, Insteon et al.  Well and there is more.  than controllers of lighting automation (or more).  I have 16 plus hardware devices (controllers) plugged in to one box.  I use 1-wire temperature sensors.  These plug in to a serial controller called a Temp-08.  It is a 2-Wire network.  Another connection is for irrigation.  Goes on and on.  Many folks today on the the Homeseer forum utilize only Z-wave for all of their automation trinkets.

@mistert

Readers please correct the following or adjust it if I have some misunderstandings.

You have to understand the reference of an automation controller.

1 - Homeseer is automation software that runs on a computer in Windows or Linux.  It is similar to other automation software purchased or free mentioned on Cocoontech.

2 - The Leviton HAI OmniPro 2 is a security and automation device with software in firmware.  

3 - Cloud connected hubs are popular today.  Typically it has multiple radios (controllers) to talk to wireless automation devices and it runs firmware on the hub that talks to software in the cloud.  It has a limited CPU / memory.  It is like a mini terminal of sorts with limited functions typically utilizing an ARM CPU with a tiny flash ROM and way limited RAM.

4 - A touchscreen console on a telephone or anywhere is just that.  It is not automation software or a controller.  It is just a mechanism to see or control the software or firmware.  IE: your telephone is just running a front end or widget or app that connects to software in the cloud or at your home.

Both #1 and #2 do not speak to automated switches or devices off the shelf. 

#3 typically talks to wireless automated devices with its multiple radios such that it is a combination of firmware talking to radio automation controllers.

#4 - is a console or terminal; nothing more.

For Homeseer software or the Leviton HAI OmniPro 2 to talk to UPB or Z-Wave or whatever (Zigbee, X10, et al) you have to connect a Z-Wave controller, Zigbee, UPB or X10 (there are more).

Today have a Leviton serial Z-Wave controller plugged in to my Leviton HAI OmniPro 2 panel and
A Homeseer Z-troller plugged in to a Homeseer 2 box and
A Z-Wave Plus GPIO serial controller plugged in to a Rasberry Pi 2 GPIO pins and
A Z-Wave Plus USB stick plugged in to an Intel iSeries Computer running Ubuntu 64 bit running Homeseer 3 Pro software and
a few Almond + devices (touch screen automation controller hubs) each talking Z-Wave.

The software and the firmware mentioned above has a Z-Wave controller plugged in to it such that it talks Z-Wave.

Here my in wall light switches are all UPB.  I have an automation sandbox here.  Most folks doing automation do not do this.

I talk to the UPB network of switches via UPB serial connected PIMs connected to my network, OPII and Homeseer software.  The UPB switches also talk to each other and function as switches to links and the links talk to multple switches.  Today my Homeseer 3 touchscreens talk to UPB switches via direct connects and indirectly via my OPII Homeseer plugin.  IE: I see the same switch 2-3 ways.

Best maybe to read the automation wiki here.  Note this wiki article only touches on automation and is not complete but does provide a quickie overview.

Home Automation

Best to start here with what it is you purchased and have in place today and what you want to get out of it.

It has been suggested that you purchase software to connect to your OmniPro 2.

Lets start with your OmniPro 2.  Baby steps basics now.  Lets write only about what you have purchased hardware wise.

What other Leviton HAI OmniPro accessories did you purchase? 

There is much more than just the OmniPro 2 panel and low voltage security sensors.

IE: there are keypads, touchscreens, sub panels, automation PIMs (controllers), CCTV, Audio, et al...

Maybe for your reference have a look here ===> Leviton HAI OmniPro 2

Well so far I have

Omnipro2
Nuvo Essentia
Zim
4 Zigbee yale locks
12 Zigbee wireless window sensor
4 wired doors
 wired garage
connected smoke alarm.

I have already done most of my PC access programming after I attend an HAI seminar, so I do have a very good understanding as to what I am doing.I just was a bit lost with homeseer and how I was going to integrate it with what I have already. But I think I  get it now and I have started to play with homeseer designer.

Looks like you have purchased a ZIM which is a Zigbee controller.

That said it will work with a the Omnistat 2 Zigbee device or serially connected.

I am guessing you are leaning towards Zigbee. 

That said you can purchase Zigbee light switches and light modules and appliance modules.

I personally have Zigbee light modules and appliance modules and they function fine.

I do not think that your 12 Zigbee wireless windows sensors will work with your HAI ZIM. 

Relating to wireless I would entertain purchase HAI Wireless receivers if you need wireless sensors. 

Here have the two types but only have one wireless device hooked up.

1 - Wireless Receiver for GE InterLogix.

2 - 64 Zone Wireless Receiver.

3 - Omni Wireless Accessories

The new Homeseer 3 HAI plugin should not have a problem with the Zigbee HAI units.

Here goofing around a bit purchasing a new Zigbee RPi GPIO interface and going to play with it on my Homeseer Zee-2 concurrent with it running Z-Wave.

My lighting is UPB with simply automated switches and a few HLC
My window and door sensor are zigbee ION Micra's
My glass break is zigbee

Very weird to extend and amplify a signal by use of the same signal for a power supply.

Any length is possible if you slow the baud down to 110 bps or even 75. :)

Maybe what they don't tell you is you need to insert one of these every few hundred feet. I assume you are using a very high baud rate or your 50 foot length wouldn't be a problem in the first place. No mention of speed capabilities.

LarrylLix said:
Very weird to extend and amplify a signal by use of the same signal for a power supply.

Any length is possible if you slow the baud down to 110 bps or even 75. :)

Maybe what they don't tell you is you need to insert one of these every few hundred feet. I assume you are using a very high baud rate or your 50 foot length wouldn't be a problem in the first place. No mention of speed capabilities.
I can honestly say that everything you said went completely over my head. My dealer told me that If it was over 50ft I would need to find a was to extend the signal as the HAI panel is about 65 feet away from the nuvo system. I don't know wht a baud rate is or how to show it down. Can you tell me if those pieces would work for my dilemma

Here have done serial via catxx baluns a couple of hundred feet with no issues. 

(IE: GPS with PPS, Irrigation, RFID stuff et al).  My Russound stuff though is only 25 feet from the OPII panel here.

That said I am a bit confused relating to your stuff that you have and or want to purchase.

1 - Omnipro2
2 - Nuvo Essentia
3 - Zigbee HAI Zim
4 - 4 Zigbee yale locks
5 - 12 Zigbee wireless window sensors
6 - 4 wired doors
7 - wired garage
8 - connected smoke alarm.
9 - UPB (some HAI HLC light modules / switches?)

mistert said:
I can honestly say that everything you said went completely over my head. My dealer told me that If it was over 50ft I would need to find a was to extend the signal as the HAI panel is about 65 feet away from the nuvo system. I don't know wht a baud rate is or how to show it down. Can you tell me if those pieces would work for my dilemma

The 50 foot cable limit is sort of a standard answer for how far you can drive a RS-232 link.  But it really depends on the data rate and also the capacitance of the cable being used.  The RS-232 standard was based on using a twisted pair cable with a capacitance of about 50 pF per foot. But Cat5e cable has much lower capacitance, and you should be able to go about 150 feet with that.

I think you'll be fine if you get a pair of DB9 to RJ45 adapters, like this one, and use a Cat5e cable between them.

pete_c said:
Here have done serial via catxx baluns a couple of hundred feet with no issues. 

(IE: GPS with PPS, Irrigation, RFID stuff et al).  My Russound stuff though is only 25 feet from the OPII panel here.

That said I am a bit confused relating to your stuff that you have and or want to purchase.

1 - Omnipro2
2 - Nuvo Essentia
3 - Zigbee HAI Zim
4 - 4 Zigbee yale locks
5 - 12 Zigbee wireless window sensors
6 - 4 wired doors
7 - wired garage
8 - connected smoke alarm.
9 - UPB (some HAI HLC light modules / switches?)
Pete why are yo confused

RAL said:
The 50 foot cable limit is sort of a standard answer for how far you can drive a RS-232 link.  But it really depends on the data rate and also the capacitance of the cable being used.  The RS-232 standard was based on using a twisted pair cable with a capacitance of about 50 pF per foot. But Cat5e cable has much lower capacitance, and you should be able to go about 150 feet with that.

I think you'll be fine if you get a pair of DB9 to RJ45 adapters, like this one, and use a Cat5e cable between them.
Thanks RAL

Pete why are yo confused

Well cuz originally you had mentioned Zigbee but no UPB.  Makes it easier now to know everything and that you have UPB.

As stated before though you will not be able to use the Zigbee wireless sensors with the ZIM.

Back