Got my new home , Ready to work

mistert said:
 Thanks for the advice . I will look into the repeater option.
 I am going to go with a mostly wireless stuff as I don't want to tear up the house much more. As you can see I am not really trying to go craxy big on theis just the basics for peace of mind and functionality.
The stove issue is that I have walked out the house and left it on. I just want to be able to kill power
Yes, I do mean garden sprinklers. How secure is Zigbee protocol. No blinds or drapes for this place .
Can you please elaborate on this "Definitely get some glass break detectors, but you don't need to go crazy on the detectors. If you add more add motion sensors that could be used double duty for lighting control."

Picta
 Is Haiku a controller or software the works with OmniPro.

Ano
 do you think that homeseerer is as good and meets the above average standards. Or would you say stay with Omnipro 2
When you are putting in security sensors, each can have two purposes; 1) security and 2) Home Automation. Motion sensors can trip the security system, but really they are more for knowing occupancy.  Glass sensors aren't very useful for occupancy, just security, so you only need limited ones of those.  The more security sensors you have, the greater the chance of false alarms, but it only takes one security sensor to trigger your alarm. Therefore, you don't need LOTS of security sensors, just ones well placed to catch an intruder.

HAIku has two parts that work independently. The app that runs on iPhones and iPads and the Helper that runs on a Mac. The app is really all you need to control your system with your phone/iPad. The Helper part adds some functionality and the ability to run scrips. SPACE is a new product that is equivalent to HAIku. There is a new "Helper" in the works. You can buy them in the Apple App Store on the iPhone or Mac. 

Homeseer is O.K. I stopped using it because it connected to the HAI Panel with a serial connection, which caused problems on the panel. I'm not sure if that has ever been improved. Software like CQC connect via an IP connection, which is much better. 

I can't say its good or bad. It depends what you are looking for. HAIku and SPACE offers excellent remote phone control to the panel if that is what you are looking for. The Omni Pro II can run IF/THEN events itself, and it does what I need. HomeSeer and CQC can run more complex IF/THEN logic if you need that. 

As I said, start with the Omni, and learn what it can do, and add on more software layers if you need them. Remember if you are running HomeSeer or CQC you need a PC or one of the HomeSeer boxes running all the time. With HAIku Helper, you need a Mac running all the time. HAIku and SPACE just runs as an app on your phone.

For stove control, I am with you, but the best solution for that is a stand-alone solution. There are a few out there. They have motion detectors and will shut off the stove if you walk away for a period of time.  I hate to admit it, but once I went to a car show and left my car running in the parking lot for 8 hours. It was still running when I got back.

Homeseer is O.K. I stopped using it because it connected to the HAI Panel with a serial connection, which caused problems on the panel.

I am still utilizing the serial plugin (HS2) to the HAI panel along with testing the network plugin (HS3) and other IP connected trinkets.

Benchmark the old and new comparing response times to one zone if you want via the serial and the network connection. 

mistert said:
The stove issue is that I have walked out the house and left it on. I just want to be able to kill power

If you want to shut down power to the stove (assuming it is electric), it is certainly possible.  You just need a heavy duty contactor, such as those used in HVAC systems.

An alternative would be to monitor the power being drawn by the stove with a current sensor, and use that as an input to the alarm system.  The alarm system could then display a message on the keypad if you attempt to arm it while the stove is on, and/or send a message to your cell phone.

So I am not a a mac user , so maybe Haiku is not for me I am a windows guy. Also I am aware that i will need a Homeseerer box , so I think that will work. OmiPro may be a very good option. Can anyone  elaborate for me or point me to the right area on how to wire my security panel into my existing wiring. Also guys I am a virgin so go gentle with the ideas.

mistert said:
So I am not a a mac user , so maybe Haiku is not for me I am a windows guy. Also I am aware that i will need a Homeseerer box , so I think that will work. OmiPro may be a very good option. Can anyone  elaborate for me or point me to the right area on how to wire my security panel into my existing wiring. Also guys I am a virgin so go gentle with the ideas.
This is a great site for setting up a home security system http://www.home-security-systems-answers.com/brinks-home-security-systems.html

Hey guys can anyone recommend or know of an installer in the Northern Fl (Jacksonville ,Daytona Beach) area that can do an install. I want the panel to be done right and I don't really have the time .

Still searching for some one in Florida that can do an install. Really  could use some directions. The installer part on this forums sucks . with only one person list for the majority of the eastern sea board. I am not asking for free help.

One other place you could look for a contractor is Angie's List.  Search for coupon codes to get a discount on membership. 

RAL said:
One other place you could look for a contractor is Angie's List.  Search for coupon codes to get a discount on membership. 
I thought about that ,but I was hoping that I could find someone that this network of people knows well and are very well versed in some off the stuff that is being used here.

Hey guys I am getting a quote back with a $ 20000 price tag. I think that that is a bit high. can I get any other ideas on this , based off of what I am trying to do.

Back