HA Advice

awilcox

Hello all,

I am new to HA and I need some advive on what equipment to research/purchase. I am educating myself by reading the "Wiring your new house" series and following the conversations on this forum. I have approximately 2 months before I need to make a decision.

I would like to install (diyer) a multi-zone distributed a/v system with independent zone controls (touch screen, keypad, rf remote, etc...). I have researched different systems and I am confused which is best for my needs (wallet). What is the difference between A-bus and HAI systems? What system best integrates existing equipment (cd, dvd, a/v receiver, etc...) into a good solution?

Any assistance/guidance would be greatly appreciated

Why do you have 2 months? Is your house under construction?

If so, i'd recommend determining wiring *immediately*, making sure you're fully covered there, then adding 2-3 CAT5 to each room for when you screw up.

For hardware recommendations, we need far more info before giving an answer. What are your needs, what functions, how many rooms, how many zones, what's the budget.

Only rule of thumb is "Hardwire whenever possible".

Why do you have 2 months? Is your house under construction?

If so, i'd recommend determining wiring *immediately*, making sure you're fully covered there, then adding 2-3 CAT5 to each room for when you screw up.

For hardware recommendations, we need far more info before giving an answer. What are your needs, what functions, how many rooms, how many zones, what's the budget.

Only rule of thumb is "Hardwire whenever possible".

Hello IVB,

- I am guestimating 2 months because my plans were just submitted to the building department for approval.

- My initial needs/wants are 4-5 zone audio control (6-7 rooms), media room audio and video (HD) control and 2-3 zone video (HD) viewing (2-3 rooms). Ultimately, I would like to add lighting, security, hvac control, etc...

- My budget is $5K.

I hope this answers your questions.

BTW, Very nice system!!! Your site is awesome!

A-Bus is a very basic distribution system. It works fine, but is limited in it's capabilities. One of the biggest drawbacks is that it only allows for local control. In other works, you must go to the keypad in the zone in which you want to change something. With most of the more expensive controls, you can control other zones from any keypad. Most of the other systems also have RS232 control. In a nut shell, this allows you to control all aspects of the system by hooking up a computer or hardware controller. Why would anyone want to do this? Well its how IVB and others control their systems via their touchscreens etc.

In all honesty, you will find that 5k really will not go far. If you have to pay to have wiring run (most builders will not let you pull your own wiring during construction due to liability) plan on spending 50% of the budget just on wiring subcontractors. That doesn't leave much for equipment.

IVB is right - we do need more information to try and make specific recommendations. I think the biggest one is to come up with your wiring plan first. Then double the amount of wire you are going to pull (only half kidding here). With the right wiring done during construction, you can always add hardware later on as the budget allows. But depending on the construction and layout of the house, it can be difficult or even impossible to run more wire later on.

A-Bus is a very basic distribution system. It works fine, but is limited in it's capabilities. One of the biggest drawbacks is that it only allows for local control. In other works, you must go to the keypad in the zone in which you want to change something. With most of the more expensive controls, you can control other zones from any keypad. Most of the other systems also have RS232 control. In a nut shell, this allows you to control all aspects of the system by hooking up a computer or hardware controller. Why would anyone want to do this? Well its how IVB and others control their systems via their touchscreens etc.

In all honesty, you will find that 5k really will not go far. If you have to pay to have wiring run (most builders will not let you pull your own wiring during construction due to liability) plan on spending 50% of the budget just on wiring subcontractors. That doesn't leave much for equipment.

IVB is right - we do need more information to try and make specific recommendations. I think the biggest one is to come up with your wiring plan first. Then double the amount of wire you are going to pull (only half kidding here). With the right wiring done during construction, you can always add hardware later on as the budget allows. But depending on the construction and layout of the house, it can be difficult or even impossible to run more wire later on.

Hello Sis0048,

I have been given the verbal ok from the builder to run cables, after the electrical inspection and before drywall. He states that I will have approx. 2 evenings to complete this task. After reading "Wiring Your House 101 & 102", it appears I will be running a lot of wire.

I have spoken with multiple installers and they reccomend Nuvo Concerto or Russound as a good headend starting point.

I attempted to upload a copy of the floorplan but it was too big. I will attempt to explain it:

-Ranch floor plan w/ finished lower level
zone 1
-great room/kitechn/breakfast nook/deck
zone 2
-mstr br/mstr ba
zone 3
-study/garage
zone 4
-lower rec area
zone 5
-media room

Back