HAI AND UPSTART ISSUES

nando248

I have a job where I have installed roughly 75 dimmers and about 5 HAI 38a002 House Controllers.
I want to program these using upstart for the fact that I can make these buttons super togglers instead of just on and off thru HAI. I also like the fact that the communication thru upstart is alot faster. The only problem I have had in the past is that the HAI wont recognize the status of the light wether is off or on if controlled by a House control progrmmed thru upstart since the communication is strictly upb signals transfered from controls to dimmers? does any one know a work around this or something I am  missing. Thanks

You have to program them with the HLC protocol, unit and link allocation, to keep status tracking correct.

There are lots of threads here detailing the specifics.

The HAI knowledge base has several articles laying out the specific allocations.
The threads here talk about the details and using the links to do different tasks beyond the default behaviors.

Desert_AIP said:
That seems like a long time ago...

;-)

Yeah, 3 & 1/2 years ago!  It seemed that many of us were trying to come to grips with the whole HLC/UPB differences around the same time.  I'm now hitting the 10 year mark on my UPB installation and if I was doing it again today, I'd still pick UPB.

MillardS said:
There are actually three different ways to status an Omni panel and when using UPB and scene links: slow(HLC), medium(HLC with scene link rules) and fast (flags).  We have an application note discribing the three processes.  http://www.simply-automated.com/UPB_home_automation_applications/UPB_home_automation_application_notes.php 

Hope that helps!
I use SA UPB devices exclusively. In fact I exchanged the HAI switch in their load control module with an SA US 11-40.

But, If you use the HLC programming unit and link allocation scheme, none of what is detailed in that document is needed.
I'm not sure what firmware version that was written for, but it is not accurate.

The last sentence of the first paragraph is in error.
The status is not updated based on a reply from the device.
The Omni transmits status requests automatically to all room units when a room link is used.
When the link is first received, the panel assumes the behavior is the default. That updates internal status immediately.
But it also sends out status requests to every unit in the room after the UPB delay to update the true status of each unit in the room.
This is readily observable in the UPStart log.

As long as the HLC convention is followed, this occurs automatically and requires no additional programming and takes no programming lines. The only a time additional programming is needed is when links affect units across rooms. Those few occasions require much less programming overhead to maintain status tracking.

The programming examples are also inefficient and do not take advantage of stacking the triggers and actions in the most recent versions of PCAccess.

Back