HAI install questions

pbeaulieu

I am planning on installing a HAI OmniPro II (20A00-8) in a Leviton series 280 (28in.) structured media can. I also plan on installing 120 volt recepticle in the bottom of the Leviton can for power and X10 PIM.

1) Is the OmniPro II 20A00-8 UL listed?

2) Do you see any problems with having the 120V power supply and battery in the same can as the OmniPro?

3) What are the dimensions of 20A00-8?

Any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I believe it is (looking at the UL tag in the HAI can)

2) Do you see any problems with having the 120V power supply and battery in the same can as the OmniPro?

I didn't do this. The documentation manual for installation just indicates the battery in the can and doesn't mention anything about putting a 120VAC connection inside of the can.

I put the HAI OPII in the HAI recommended can and put a 42" Leviton can next to it (with the 120VAC on the bottom of it). If I was starting all over in the MW I would have used two 42" cans. Today the 42" can has network/telephone patch panels and one 24 port network switch plus other telephone devices. My audio and video stuff is not in a can today but rather just on the plywood adjacent to the two cans.

In FL because of the space contraints I used the HAI can with a Leviton 28" can below it in the back of a regular closet. So both of my personal setups do not have 120VAC in the same can as the HAI OPII.

I would consider what else you will be using the 28" can for.

I always put an outlet at the bottom of the can. Did it for Elk and for HAI. Personally I don't see any problem with it. In some respects its even safer since its all contained in 1 can. If you run the 24V from the xformer from outside the can, there is always the possibly of damage or cutting - rare but possible.

I have power on the bottom of the 42" and 28" cans adjacent to the HAI panels. The HAI cans (13"X13") were too small to include both battery and power. In FL the cans are stacked in the back of one closet and in IL they are adjacent to each other.

In the MW the wall in the basement of what I have today (data, telephone, video, etc) will be in a utility/server room closet of sorts with one door for entry.

I am planning on installing a HAI OmniPro II (20A00-8) in a Leviton series 280 (28in.) structured media can. I also plan on installing 120 volt recepticle in the bottom of the Leviton can for power and X10 PIM.

3) What are the dimensions of 20A00-8?

Any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I always put the panel on a dedicated circuit(s) and run bx cable. It is more difficult for someone to cut through a metal jacket cable then a standard romex cable.
I believe that the lv and hv only need 1/4" of space so you will be fine with the hv in the can. My own personal HAI Omni Pro II system fills a 42" Legrand can. I have the controller, 2 on board expansion boards, 1 hardwire expansion and 1 power supply for door strikes. I usually like to dedicate 1 can for the alarm, 1 for video coax and phones and 1 for data if I am not in a rack.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to go with 2 Leviton cans side by side in a wall. The one can will have the OmniPRO II and any other electronics with all the wires coming in from the bottom due to location. The other can smaller will have all the power and the battery. Always better to have room for expansion.

I am trying to put the battery for an HAI OmniPro II is a separate adjacent can. I noticed the battery cables are soldered to the board and are not long enough. I am planning on just extending the wires using spade connections and longer wires.

Is there a better way to have longer battery wires for the OmniPro?

Is there a maximum length for the battery wires?

Any down sides to extending the battery wires?

I'm not an engineer and will not rattle off specs but in my experience an adjacent can is not too far to worry about. I also have batteries outside of the actual can the controller is mounted in. Just use insulated spade connectors and its a good idea to put a fuse in the line as running outside of the can opens up the leads to potential damage or short. Enclosing in a wire loom is also not a bad idea unless you have a conduit run between the 2 cans.

Thanks for all the replies.

Well I know have my OmniPro II and the Leviton cans are mounted. I am getting ready to hook up the 24V power supply.

I am planning on using 18gauge wire to hookup the 24V power supply. Is this OK?

I have not found any mention in the forums but 18 gauge should handle the 1.6 amps from the power supply.

Also, I am going to extend the battery cables. Is 18 gauge adequate?

Thanks ahead of time for any replies.

Pictures please!

Here's a picture. I have just started installing sensors. The 24" Leviton can on the right has the power suppy and battery for the HAI OmniPro II, power supply for the LAN switch and a surge protector. The surge protector is to big but it's the one I had lying around. If and when I need the space in that can I'll spend the money to replace the surge protector with something smaller. The can on the left has the HAI OmniPro II, small cat5e punch down, phone interface, and small LAN switch.

The device plugged into the outlet is a Leviton Vizia RF+ rs232 interface (VRCOP). I have an 18 node Leviton z-wave lighting system which is controlled by both the Leviton controller and the HAI OmniPro II.

I have yet to decide which motion detectors to use. Everything takes time.

But I'm having fun!

Attachments

• IMG_0857B.jpg
    IMG_0857B.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 90
Back