HAI Smart Lighting Replacement

hipertec

Hi, I just purchased a home that was built in 2006. The home was wired with a HAI Smarting lighting that is not working correctly.

Looks like all power load swirches is ran into 3 center point closets and two wires and ground goes to the HAI keypads in the room that controls the lights. This is the way its wired thru most of the home, which I have never seen this type of wiring done.

It's not working well and some buttons doesn't work. There is an AV closet that has the "brain/control panel" that controls the HAI. The home also comes with an Omni alarm panels that is not working so the alarm will need to be replaced with different brand.

Is there an cost affordable option of a brand and model that can still use this wiring type and the best option to change too? Or can I reprogram these HAI lights?
Please help... Kinda bummer to learn about this after we closed on the home.

Hi...
Please see the images of the closet area where I understand the main load goes to:
Architecture Building Flooring Ceiling Wood

Line Wall Rectangle Gas Gadget

Then there are two wires + ground that goes to the keypads to the particular rooms but this images shows the past owner replacing this particular room with the Lutron Caseta Pico Remote:
1715887586328.png

Some of the rooms do have the switch with blue light but most rooms have the 6 button Keypad (on the right)- these do have all the 4 wires with neutral wires.

Gas Electronic component Circuit component Machine Electric blue

Im hoping this HAI system can be updated and programmed or if there is a current automation lighting system that can go in its place of what I currently have. I heard maybe Lutron RadioRA3 or the Vantage system? Really would like to cut costs.

I have never seen lighting switches next to the fuse panel. That said it appears to me that they are UPB (or HAI) and Lutron.

Take a picture of the controller board and post here. I want to see what is plugged in on the top of the board and where it goes. There should be two controllers plugged in using RJ-12 (6 pin) flat cable to the controller. Take a picture of the controllers too.

There is no updating necessary except maybe the firmware on the panel and a check to make sure the lighting controller is reaching all of the lighting switches. If most or all of it is UPB then just stick to using those and remove the Lutron as you will not need it. UPB is powerline and you can test the UPB network with Upstart connected to a Windows computer.

The HAI UPB controller will look like this:

1715888510129.png

welcome to the UPB club. It’s an old technology but works very well. I would consider keeping it if possible, especially if there is a lot of it already installed. I have SAI but they are similar. I have never considered replacing it.

welcome to the UPB club. It’s an old technology but works very well. I would consider keeping it if possible, especially if there is a lot of it already installed. I have SAI but they are similar. I have never considered replacing it.
SAI (Simply Automated) is gone as the owner died and the company was shut down. HAI (Home Auto) was bought by Leviton and they are no longer in the UPB business. The only one left is PCS (Powerline Control Systems) <pcslighting.com>.

hipertec, is your security system is also an HAI? If there are no issues with the devices on the system, I believe you should be able to use. If you do have a have a Omni panel, then you may not need the Upstart software from PCS found here, upstart download. If you don't have an Omni, or are not planning to use standalone, then this is the direction you would want to go, Pulseworx Gateway. The Gateway which resides on the LAN, is used in conjunction with the both the Upstart and the Pulseworx apps for, PC, Android, Apple, and is located on the same the page as the Upstart download. The HAI lighting is compatible and the Gateway, and will give you the ability to program, control and automate devices. The PIM, shown in pete_c's reply, would allow for programming and control of devices from the machine running Upstart software, but not from your phone and no scheduling.
I've been putting HAI and UPB since the early 2000's and have thousands of these switches in homes we did. I still use the UPB product today on all my systems, about 3 or 4 Elk systems each year. I like that it is technically a hard-wired product, the signals travel on the neutral line. It is good quality, very small percentage has gone bad over the years. It is a solid technology, and the company is continuing to innovate.

If you would like more information on the HLC lighting, here is a power point that was made by HAI that goes into detail, HAI HLC

Back