Hardwire Lighting Control for new home

ctay

I am looking for suggestions on centralized hardwire lighting control for a new home. When I built our current home I used a Centralite LiteJet system that has been fantastic. I really like the de-cluttered walls, the scene programming and the integration with my automation controller. I would simply purchase a Elegance system and use Centralite again but I am worried about 1) their lack of LED and Fluorescent control and 2) the lack of any real updates to their product line in the last several years.

I have looked at both Lutron Homeworks and Vantage. I would really be interested in getting feedback from anyone that uses or has used either of their lighting systems. In particular how difficult was the install, the programming and a rough approximation of the cost. I own a construction and electrical company and I believe I would have to become a dealer in order to use either of these products. Not sure how difficult it will be to get dealer access to either product so I suppose that is another thing to consider.

Any input would be appreciated!

Chris

As I've said elsewhere, talk to the Lutron and Vantage reps. You may not have a choice.

You may be able to partner with a Vantage (or QS) dealer, and get it done, but you'll need to find someone who is fair, as far as pricing.

I hope Jack chimes in here, an experienced Vantage dealer, in the Southern CA region. He solves problems.

ctay said:
I am looking for suggestions on centralized hardwire lighting control for a new home. When I built our current home I used a Centralite LiteJet system that has been fantastic. I really like the de-cluttered walls, the scene programming and the integration with my automation controller. I would simply purchase a Elegance system and use Centralite again but I am worried about 1) their lack of LED and Fluorescent control and 2) the lack of any real updates to their product line in the last several years.

I have Elegance in my house, it controls every type of light, LED, FL and incandescent, with high precision dimming, as well as relays and fan speeds. Centralite has quietly developed a lot of new and upgraded old products, but for some reason they do not advertise much. Their tech support is excellent, and the warranty on the system is 5 years. It can be easily integrated with HAI controller, and its ASCII based protocol is very straightforward. I have looked at Vantage and Lutron, but they are more expensive and harder to integrate with. However, if you want Svarowsky chystall on your keypad, Vantage is the way to go

picta said:
I have Elegance in my house, it controls every type of light, LED, FL and incandescent, with high precision dimming, as well as relays and fan speeds. Centralite has quietly developed a lot of new and upgraded old products, but for some reason they do not advertise much. Their tech support is excellent, and the warranty on the system is 5 years. It can be easily integrated with HAI controller, and its ASCII based protocol is very straightforward. I have looked at Vantage and Lutron, but they are more expensive and harder to integrate with. However, if you want Svarowsky chystall on your keypad, Vantage is the way to go

I actually called Centralite and asked about LED and FL and they said that it is very hit and miss but mostly miss on the LED side.  I'm glad to hear that you are having better luck than they suggested I would!  What bulbs are you using?

We have Halo LED can lights, they can be dimmed to very low intensity, and a lot of LED bulbs of various kinds (Philips, Cree, no name). Some LED lights have transformers that say can only work with their "special" dimmer, but I can dim them from the system, only perhaps not to the absolute lows. The LED lights exist in so many varieties that you may find a few that won't work, but then they most likely won't work with other systems either.  Also have FL cans on a sloped ceiling (I am not aware of any LED cans for the sloped ceiling). We don't like those as much, but they were required by code. FL lights will generally not dim, so they are configured as relays. Have a few CFL bulbs as well, they can be dimmed but start making noise at about 50%, so I plan to replace those with LED bulbs.

Back