Help connecting relay to control pool pump

jumbodogs

How would I connect the following relay to my ELK so I can control my pool pump.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I had this setup before using a 30Vdc power supply that was connected to a X10 unit but I would like to eliminate X10 from this setup.

Given that your pump relay's power consumption is 47 mA and the Elk's on-board relays are rated for 50 mA, I wouldn't be comfortable wiring directly to an M1 output. So that means your choices are probably adding an interposing relay to an Elk output and running the 30 VDC through the interposing relay contacts, or adding an Elk relay expantion boards and wiring to one of those outputs.

The ELK M1G J16 outputs are 12 VDC @ 50 ma. This is sufficient current, but the voltage is too low to drive the pool pump contactor. However, there is also the Form C OUT3 relay in the ELK M1 which will work exactly like your X10 dry contact! Just substitute the OUT3 connections for the corresponding X10 connections and write the associated rules to turn the pump on and off.

Just to point out, OP has an EZ8 not an M1G. That means he does have the same Output 3 the rest of us have (his may be 2); also means that his voltage-only outputs are 10ma and not 50ma.

Also of note is that his RIB is a 24V or greater trigger, not 12V as the Elk might otherwise drive.

Given that the EZ8 only has 10ma voltage triggers, it sounds like the best bet is for OP to get a M1XOVR to get some better relays, then use that to switch the 30VDC to power the RIB - unless he still has the Form C relay (equivalent to Output 3 of the M1G) - Basically what Ken said above.

Back