Help with "connecting" two houses, please.

Wow! I am here to express a heartfelt thank you tyo every one who has shown support here (both in the thread and via PM's).
Well, your neighbors are lucky to have a neighbor as helpful and dedicated as you. It's really sad, but not many people these days would step up and support their neighbors as diligently as you.
Exactly how I feel about this situation.

We (my wife and I) love community. On my own, I'm pretty much a bastard but, when other's are involved, I believe that we were created to serve one another. I may live in the suburbs (where we tend to shut out the outside world once the garage door closes) but, I love my neighborhood and we're all pretty much there for one another. It is cool that my neighbors (on all sides) have become my friends.

Anthony, If you need any help getting this all installed and set up -- let me know. I've got some free time.

George M

Anthony, If you need any help getting this all installed and set up -- let me know. I've got some free time.

George M
George, I just sent you an email. I would welcome your help! Not because I need the hand but rather for the opportunity to hang with you.

Thanks again to everyone involved. We had another incident today and I was able to get to their house within literally 15 seconds of an eruption. Unfortunately the little guy got a hold of the RadioRA transmitter and threw it against the floor of the garage before I got there. I'm hoping some solder and patience will get that back up by tomorrow morning.

My neighbors are floored by everyone's generosity.

I have 3 NX-650's on my desk for you. I am supposed to have a few of the NX-474 wrist pendant transmitters in stock but I can track them down at the moment but I will send you one of those as well for the Mom to wear. I will let you know when I ship. Will probably be tomorrow.

I just wanted to say that I think it is a very commendable thing you are doing. I am also very pleased to see all the generous help that you are getting from the members here. It's nice to know that as our society becomes more and more impersonal, there are still people that can be counted on to help others. It brings a smile to my face. :)

Nick

So I am looking for a cheap ('cause I'm funding it) but reliable solution for "linking" my home to my neighbor's home. They have a young boy who has a bipolar disorder and he can get really, really violent. For times when his dad isn't around, his mom needs to be able to quickly and efficiently signal us that we need to haul a$$ over and help. We have a short term solution in place where I have provided her with one of my Radio RA visor transmitters which I've programmed so that when one of the buttons is pressed, my home announces twice over thirty seconds that there is an emergency. Ultimately, though, we are looking to add something a little more long term and probably get them three or four locations where they can quickly get to a button.

As I was already starting to think about picking up some outdoor, wireless X10 motion sensors, I wanted to ask some of you with more experience in X10 RF stuff, what kind of range could I expect were I to add some X10 gear to their home that would be received at mine? The distance between the homes is approx. 100-120'. As for available gear in place now, we both have HAI OPII's installed. I also have CQC and a Russound CAV that I'll use for an announcement and I'll also be flashing some lights in our house. I'm also going to set up their garage door when they set off the alarm (to ensure that I can quickly get in their house) and thus, I need there transmitters to be recieved by both theirs and my HA system. That's part of the reason why we're looking to pull out the RA in the long term. We don't want to have to buy another RA RS232 module for their home to link to their HAI panel.

Any thoughts?

Depends what commands you should send via your RF. What I do is wiring my (my clients) remote controls (ON/OFF button or any other) and connect it to the automated IP switch box that control by automation controller (web based software). I think you have use automation system based on IP switches. there many powerful things you can do with it. You can control monitor, monitor (including cameras) and automate a number of different locations and control it from one screen even from your mobile iPhone, Nokia etc. I know one system like this and already installed a couple. My clients are been happy so far. I buy some products from these guys. I can send you a link to see the system once I allowed to send links. It is not that hard to do.

Anthony,

Looks like you won't need it now but I do have an MR26 with a modified antenna (pretty good reception) that you could have and I can even deliver. Let me know if you want to try it.

Scott

Anthony,

Looks like you won't need it now but I do have an MR26 with a modified antenna (pretty good reception) that you could have and I can even deliver. Let me know if you want to try it.

Scott
Thanks, Buddy. I appreciate it but, I think the community has spoken. We're gonna move forward with the GE solution. On the other hand, it may be cool to have you up to lend a hand. There's not a ton to it but, George had said he'd come and it would be like the Denver Home Automation Meetup Group's first "field trip". You know how full of crap I am (hard on the outside but a big, fat softy on the inside). I would like to pursue this and determine if we could do some more joint installs like this for the greater good. We could still take Bitwise up on their offer if we could only find the right candidates.

Thanks, Buddy. I appreciate it but, I think the community has spoken. We're gonna move forward with the GE solution. On the other hand, it may be cool to have you up to lend a hand. There's not a ton to it but, George had said he'd come and it would be like the Denver Home Automation Meetup Group's first "field trip". You know how full of crap I am (hard on the outside but a big, fat softy on the inside). I would like to pursue this and determine if we could do some more joint installs like this for the greater good. We could still take Bitwise up on their offer if we could only find the right candidates.

Field trip.........sounds fun. Let me know when you have details and I'll get a "permission slip".

Anthony,

I shipped the three NX-650's today. I have to drop ship the wrist transmitter from a distributor since I looked for a few days and can not find my stock of them (I should have 4 according to my inventory). You should get everything Wednesday or Thursday.

Sorry for the delay but it was a rough week.

Just a quick update on the project. I was able to spend a little time at the neighbor's today. I was able to install an HAI voice module and a single speaker in the kitchen (I am going to add a second speaker in the master bed room) and program it to alert them if the garage entry or either of the second floor windows are opened. I also pulled a cat5 across a short section of finished basement ceiling to allow for 8 conductors to be used in the garage (I'm thinking open/close toggle, overhead door status and a PIR). I also scoped out how I can pull some 22/2 to the gate on the side of the house and whether or not I'm gonna be able to contact the front and back doors. The back is easy, crawl space below. Front is tough. Finished basement but there is a water main access panel below the door. I'll have to fish cable to that point and then up into the door frame. Lastly, I got an HAI 8 relay board installed. So far so good...

Another update...I heard back from my HAI rep buddy today. They sent out the second HAI/GE rcvr. I've also got three GE NX-650's and the wrist transmitter (thanks, Digger!) and rhus, we're ready to rock. Opie and George, look for an email.

Back