Help with Lantroniz UDS-2100

stacyh3

Hello,

I know there are some folks on this forum who use Lantronix serial-to-Ethernet devices. I finally decided to hook up a Lantronix UDS-2100 2-port serial-to-Ethernet device server to my Rain8.NET irrigation controller. I think I’m following the instructions correctly, but I am unable to get my irrigation control software to connect to the Rain8. Here’s where I am:
  1. I can assign an IP address to the UDS-2100
  2. I can connect to the configuration screens of the UDS-2100 via HTTP and via telnet.
  3. I can assign a virtual serial port to the IP/Port of the serial port on the UDS.
  4. When I try to connect via hyper-terminal or other software, I get a an error that a host was not found.
  5. I am connecting to the correct port for the device that is attached.
  6. I’m using default settings for the serial port, etc.
  7. There are quite a few settings for the UDS box with which I am unfamiliar, so I just left these set to their default values.
Does anyone have a step-by-step, idiots guide to setting this box up?
What are the minimum items that I need to configure to get the serial port recognized?
Does the machine that hosts the virtual com port need to be configured in the UDS?

Thanks!
Stacy

HEre are a couple of things to verify:

1) Did you install the monitor AND the driver? This confused me at first as I *thought* I downloaded the right stuff but only installed the CPR software. I think you have it right but it's worth asking.
2) If you go to Device Manager|Ports (COM & LPT) what do you see? You should see one of yours ports listed as 'Lantronix CPR Port'
3) It is a little confusing but you must set the baud rate/settings for the port using the Lantronix software. Setting control done via hyperteminal does nothing more the select the port.

Verify you have those right and post back. FYI I have one machine that installed perfectly and another that doesn't see the port.

HEre are a couple of things to verify:

1) Did you install the monitor AND the driver? This confused me at first as I *thought* I downloaded the right stuff but only installed the CPR software. I think you have it right but it's worth asking.
2) If you go to Device Manager|Ports (COM & LPT) what do you see? You should see one of yours ports listed as 'Lantronix CPR Port'
3) It is a little confusing but you must set the baud rate/settings for the port using the Lantronix software. Setting control done via hyperteminal does nothing more the select the port.

Verify you have those right and post back. FYI I have one machine that installed perfectly and another that doesn't see the port.

1) I'll have to verify this when I get back home. I believe that I installed the DeviceInstaller and the Virtual COM port driver. What is the monitor?
2) I do see the device in Device Manager as COM3 "Lantronix CPR Port"
3) I will make sure the settings are specified in the Lantronix SW.

Thanks! I'll let you know what happens.

Stacy

Still no joy with this. Is there a way to have the mcsSprinkler software (or some other software) talk to the Rain8/Lantronix UDS2100 combination using TCP/IP?
Maybe I'm missing some simple diagnostic. Heeellllppp!

Thanks!
Stacy

Finally! I got the Virtual COM port working by setting "raw" mode on it. I'm still curious about how to talk TCP/IP directly to the Lantronix device if anyone has information.

Thanks,
Stacy

Finally! I got the Virtual COM port working by setting "raw" mode on it. I'm still curious about how to talk TCP/IP directly to the Lantronix device if anyone has information.

Thanks,
Stacy

Nice work on figuring out raw mode. I didn't need to do that.

I don't know how to talk directly to the device, but I'm not sure you would want to. That data stream is not 'standard' and Lantronix can do anything they want with it so long as a matching driver decodes it properly and allows it to look like COM ports on windows. If you are really curious though just download Wireshark and sniff the packets going back and forth. It probably isn't that difficult to decode is it is likely to just be some configuration packets followed by the serial data stream.

Back