Home Automation Software

elcano said:
MeSteve said:
What about hardware controllers such as Elk & M1? I realize it says software, but what about the folks who have a hardware as their primary?
Some of us like pears and other apples, but I'd suggest to keep this poll an apples to apples one.

The world of hardware controllers is not as diverse, but we still can do another poll if desired.
Agreed.

You could add a "Yuk - s/w as primary? I use h/w" option.

I see a few things in people lists that are more of a "Helper app" or "Link/translation" between types of controllers. Girder for example, as powerful as it is, is not a stand alone Home Automation software package. I am trying to weed it down to the to the primary software package.

Girder 4 has interfaces with several X10 controllers, as well as the W800 and Insteon. What more is required to be classified as home automation software? While in the past Girder has been used for mostly PC and Infrared control, the new version has been geared to complete home automation.

JohnWPB said:
Please feel free to copy this list into a reply post, and alter it as you see fit. In a few days, hopefully it will be complete enough to add in as a poll.
Adaptive Home Logic
CQC
ECS
HAL
Home Control Assistant
HomeSeer 1.x
HomeSeer 2.x
MainLobby
Mister House
PowerHome
xplHAL

HArledude Wrote:
the new version (GIRDER) has been geared to complete home automation.

I Have'nt used Girder in quite some time, and was not aware of this. I (back then) just used it as a translator from from some touch screen app (that I can't remember the name of) to bridge the communication gap between it and HS.

So far, Here we are:

Adaptive Home Logic
CQC
ECS
Girder
HAL
Home Control Assistant
HomeSeer 1.x
HomeSeer 2.x
MainLobby
Mister House
PowerHome
xplHAL

These are the entries I had for the poll I was working on:
Active Home (Pro)
Adaptive Home Logic
CQC
ECS
Girder/NetRemote
Harmony
Hey2U
Home Automated Living
Home Control Assistant
HomeSeer 1.x
HomeSeer 2.x
HouseBot
Indigo
MainLobby
Mister House
Pluto Home
PowerHome
Premise
SmartHome Manager
X10 dispatcher
X10Controller
xplhal
Xtension

Just curious as to why you put Girder & Netremote together?

Admittedly the last time I looked was in August when I was making a final decision between ML/Girder/CQC, but it had a very complex section dedicated to what it takes to make those packages work together. It definitely left me with the impression that these were 2 very different and seperate packages, Girder focused on the back-end, NR focused on the front-end. You didn't necessarily need NR to make Girder work.

Girder focused on the back-end, NR focused on the front-end.

You've just about answered the question right there. They work well together, and NetRemote does need a backend to function. On the other hand, if someone is using NetRemote, then it can be assumed that Girder is the backend for the most part.

So yes, I can see why they should be listed seperately as far as a poll goes, as Girder, from what I am told with the newer versions, can be used totally stand alone.

So, to finalize this, does everyone agree that this would be good for the poll?

Active Home (Pro)
Adaptive Home Logic
CQC
ECS
Girder
HAL
Harmony
Hey2U
Home Automated Living (HAL)
Home Control Assistant
HomeSeer 1.x
HomeSeer 2.x
HouseBot
Indigo
MainLobby
mControl
Mister House
NetRemote
Pluto Home
PowerHome
Premise
SmartHome Manager
starCOM
X10 dispatcher
X10Controller
xplhal
Xtension

NOTE: Added mControl and starCOM from the next posts.

BTW, What is the limit on the number of options in a poll on this board?

Back