Homeseer AV distribution

I am planning to use Homeseer for HA with a custom built in server.

I need to distribute the video to 6 different zones. Inputs are from Statelite Tuner, Dish TV, Security camera, and computer.
I can use Happague video capture for Sateltie TV and Dish TV. Security camera is IP based so it can be caputred in computer as well.

The question I have is can I use any software to do the switching or should I need to get a AV matrix switch? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jijo

Without a piece of hardware to do the switching, how would the 4 inbound component signals know where to go?

For audio, using a PC as a "matrix switcher" is very doable. MainLobby's MLMAudio plugin was designed specifically for that. ie: take an audio input, and route it to one or more audio outputs (that then get amplified to speakers). We also have a toslink hardware switcher (cheap) to bring multiple digital audio into the mix that is controlled via MainLobby.

for video, it's a "focus of control" thing of launching a software TV renderer with a given content source (a certain Tuner input source or streaming or hard drive based content source) and then output that single Video (and synched audio - which can be another issue) to a given LCD / Plasma / front projector. Doable, just requires a lot of juggling.

Maybe that's why all the pros use a good grade matrix switcher that does all of this hard stuff effectively and reliably. If cost is a big issue, look at eBay...there is always matrix switchers there at great discount (Autopatch non current line is a good example).

A couple systems to consider that are made just for this are the Audio Authority AVAtrix product which is an audio/HD matrix switching device that feeds signal to the display over two CAT5 wires. I'm not sure if there is an HS plug-in for the AVAtrix, but the serial control protocol is simple and could be easily interfaced for HS control with scripting. This is a good product if you're planning to use the built-in speakers on teh TV's for audio or plan to have stand-alone audio systems with each display (receiver, speakers, etc.)

If you're interested more in a whole-house audio system, the Russound CAV6.6 or CAM6.6 and VM1 video switch is a nice combination that you send the audio through the whole-house speakers and then transmits HD video over a single CAT5 to the display. HomeSeer has a Russound plug-in that would give you turn-key control of this solution and also allows for easy music integration with Media Player and iTunes allowing you to control playback from the Russound UNO keypads.

Lots of other matrix switch solutions from Neothings, VideoStorm and dozens of others all which will require different levels of work and trial and error to integrate. Cinemar's line of products have plugins developed for many of these products and Cinemar's Mainlobby suite off applications can also be a nice compliment to a HomeSeer based system.

Cheers,
Paul

If you're interested more in a whole-house audio system, the Russound CAV6.6 or CAM6.6 and VM1 video switch is a nice combination that you send the audio through the whole-house speakers and then transmits HD video over a single CAT5 to the display. HomeSeer has a Russound plug-in that would give you turn-key control of this solution and also allows for easy music integration with Media Player and iTunes allowing you to control playback from the Russound UNO keypads.

The additional upside to gear like the Russound is all-in-one equipment. The problem with piecing together components often runs afoul of dealing with amplifiers and volume control. With a CAV66 it's all together and well integrated. That and you can hang an additional 4 slave zones off it. That and use external amps only when necessary. I use one for driving rock speakers on out the patio. The A-Bus zone for them is slaved off the CAV66 master zone in the adjacent sunroom. This also makes for a cheaper controller stuffed in a box outside.

A couple systems to consider that are made just for this are the Audio Authority AVAtrix product which is an audio/HD matrix switching device that feeds signal to the display over two CAT5 wires. I'm not sure if there is an HS plug-in for the AVAtrix, but the serial control protocol is simple and could be easily interfaced for HS control with scripting. This is a good product if you're planning to use the built-in speakers on teh TV's for audio or plan to have stand-alone audio systems with each display (receiver, speakers, etc.)

Lots of other matrix switch solutions from Neothings, VideoStorm and dozens of others all which will require different levels of work and trial and error to integrate. Cinemar's line of products have plugins developed for many of these products and Cinemar's Mainlobby suite off applications can also be a nice compliment to a HomeSeer based system.

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks, I looked at Neothings - Do I need to get two Fallbrook(http://www.neothings.com/Fallbrook.html) and Gillespie(http://www.neothings.com/Gillespie.html) for switching audio and video? I am looking for 8 input 16 output for with HD Video and digital audio.

Thanks
Muthu

Back