Homeseer Board

I upgraded from HS 1.7 to HS 2.0 Beta and then to HS 2.1. Very Stable for my system.

I look at the HS Board about once a month, and usually find the answers to any questions I have without having to make a post.

(IMHO, a lot of the posts with no replys are questions that have been answered multiple times, or are phrased in a way that the question makes no sense)

I do have one question (A How To Do It kind of thing) that I will be posting to the HS board in the future. Just don't have time to even do it now if I even knew how!
Maybe the answer will already be posted when I get around to this particular project!

HS 2.1 so far has done everything I've wanted! ( I did start with a new box and fresh install for HS 2)

Guys,
The HomeSeer bulletin board is where many of us used to "hang out" and share new ideas and updated scripts and the like. Times have changed and so has HomeSeer the bulletin board and it's user base. Many posts go unanswered because the bulletin board has become so large and there are so many categories that is makes visiting the board a chore. I only use the new post query when I visit the board and sometimes there are dozens of new questions. If you do not have time to go through them then many of these posts will get over looked on a subsequent return due to the marking of the post as read. This and the fact that HomeSeer can interface to nearly every device known to man in one way or another leaves many questions unanswered because no one really knows the answer. On the flip side show me another Home Automation bulletin board that gets the traffic that HomeSeer does where users to get the help they need. There's no question the BB is changing but everything changes. There are times when I get a bit bent when a new user comes on board and asks how to do the most trivial tasks dozens of time and the users always help and then that user is gone never to be heard from again but this again is human nature. Lastly, when users come to the bulletin board they normally aren't all that happy because they are having a problem and are frustrated so if you base your experience on product based bulletin boards you probably will not get the warm and fuzzy you are looking for.
I've been a HomeSeer user for years and to be honest I know less about HomeSeer everyday because there are so many plugins that work with devices I've never even heard of let alone used. I personally believe if you ask a well articulated question on the HomeSeer bulletin board you will get a reply.

I got a lot of help here and at HomeSeer Board with first install of UPB switches. I did make a point of replying about final outcome and what I did to get there. I try to always do this. If I can find the time to post to ask a question, I can find the time to post the result...and a thank you to those involved B).

BTW, I have been registered here for a while but did not participate often. Now, I am hooked and will be checking this and HomeSeer's board. Noticed this morning that my status was upgraded from "Newbie". B)

Jim,
The beauty of this bulletin board is it covers EVERYTHING and we are glad to have you.

Over all the Hs board is a very helpfull place, Need an answer to find a solution,
8 times out of 10 you'll get it by using search function.

There are still alot of very helpfull people on the board Rupp, Michael , Jim, just to name a few.
almost every day on the board you will see some new user with some great talent
showup with something new to add ( scripts or what ever).

And we all know users come and go, for what ever resion.

The Help desk: some times a little slow, but then again I like playing with the Betas.

Coming from HS 1.7 to Hs 2.1, I have found that I can do a lot more things in the newer builds then I could with the older builds, the more I use it the more I like it.

There is one thing that I do not like about the board. Censorship!
Negative or Positive comments to a post should be allowed.

But hey its there Board.

Over all very happy I made the move to HS 2.1

-Zap

Rupp said:
On the flip side show me another Home Automation bulletin board that gets the traffic that HomeSeer does where users to get the help they need.
I really wish I could think of one :rolleyes:

electron said:
Rupp said:
On the flip side show me another Home Automation bulletin board that gets the traffic that HomeSeer does where users to get the help they need.
I really wish I could think of one :rolleyes:
I can think of one and possibly two.

www.cocoontech.com - Not sure if you guy have heard of this site but its great.
www.charmedquark.com - The charmed quark forums are exactly like what homeseer 'used' to be like.

Hey Squintz. I meant a bulletin board that was "package" specific. CocoonTech is an "all purpose" BB where most would not normally come to post product specific questions.

Rupp said:
Hey Squintz. I meant a bulletin board that was "package" specific. CocoonTech is an "all purpose" BB where most would not normally come to post product specific questions.
I would rather post my product specific questions here first, then if I didn't get a reply I would venture to those "other" boards! :rolleyes:

Yea, unfortunately times do change. Rupp hit it on the head that it was the place that many of us hung out.

I was on that board from morning to night in the day, writing scripts, exchanging ideas and such. I went back to the HS board about a week ago (For the first time in about a year) and it has gotten so cluttered, with topic upon topic upon topic, and craploads of topics within topicsm its a nightmare....

I also will just stick here with Cocoon and if get really desperate for an answer will sit and stalk the cocoon chat :blink:

Tried HS as a demo a couple of times just to see what kind of Z-Wave support they might have in particular for use with the Intermatic HA22 USB Stick just out of curiosity. Not that even if having $200.00+ to spend on (correct me if I'm wrong here, but I.M.H.O. Bloatware) software that tries to be everything to everybody. As Primarily a Mac guy, I may be spoiled, but after downloading the trail version of HS 2 and using the "updater" to download the HA22 drivers, which although did eventually show up and extract into the right folder, was never seen by the software. Maybe I'm just getting grumpy in my old age...but somethings a little fishy here. It would sure be nice if a software company could just market a nice piece of relatively simple, intuitive (is it just me?), code that gets the job done for a reasonable price?

Rant complete. Now looking for the beer opener driver....

Mike

Mike,
HomeSeer is not bloatware by no means. It's a plugin paradigm that out of the box supports the most common interfaces. The beauty when using HomeSeer is you only need to load the plugins you need all others are available in the updater if you need them later.

Be that as it may, something is still broken if it doesn't see the drivers, and the ARE in the right place and extracted properly. Not too impressive.

Back