Homeseer Resource Page

jhimmel said:
I don't see the big deal here.

Some HS plugins are available through HS and the Updater. Some are available elsewhere. Some cost money, some don't. No big deal

A plugin developer was upset because a new plugin came out that looked uncomfortably close to his - apparently from someone who he thought he was helping with something unrelated. Did Blade ever mention to Jim that he was working on a competing product while he was accepting help from Jim? Legal issues asside, is everyone here comfortable with the ethics involved? At the very least, I can certainly understand how Jim must feel - can't you? We may all come down on a different side of this one, but in the end - No big deal.
This is not about a plugin being free or not, it's about accusing a person with a good reputation of a crime based on false assumptions. On top of that, HST is targetting JUST blade with their 'forum policy' and started censoring his work.

as for this the following statement:
In my experience, some who complain about paying for plugins have never actually contributed ("shared") any code of there own to the "community" (I'm not referring to anyone specific in this thread).
I don't agree with this statement at all, and it actually offends me personally. It's the total opposite in the HA community. I can think of many people who have contributed a lot of time/scripts/plugins, for free, and are upset with this new pricing scheme (myself included). But again, this thread is not about plugin prices.

This thread was supposed to help EVERYONE using Homeseer... was I naive to try and help others?

I wont be making that mistake again.

TrOjAn

jhimmel said:
I don't see the big deal here.

Some HS plugins are available through HS and the Updater. Some are available elsewhere. Some cost money, some don't. No big deal

A plugin developer was upset because a new plugin came out that looked uncomfortably close to his - apparently from someone who he thought he was helping with something unrelated. Did Blade ever mention to Jim that he was working on a competing product while he was accepting help from Jim? Legal issues asside, is everyone here comfortable with the ethics involved? At the very least, I can certainly understand how Jim must feel - can't you? We may all come down on a different side of this one, but in the end - No big deal.

In my experience, some who complain about paying for plugins have never actually contributed ("shared") any code of there own to the "community" (I'm not referring to anyone specific in this thread). As the HA industry grows, this is increasingly so. HA isn't exactly like it used to be - how COULD it be? I for one do not code any more, do not WISH to code any more, and am happy to pay for the hard work that others put in. No big deal.

Much ado about nothing if you ask me.
Wow.... man I would dissagree!!!!! Many people have shared their work.... I think that is WHAT MADE HST what it is today....sharing ideas, work and help... OH FOR THE GOOD OLE DAYS!!!

I shared all my Now Playing code/strategy to many people and spent many hours helping people getting started with using Netremote with HS. George gave away the hsPlugin which has been a godsend....I could go on and on...

I like Electron am a bit insulted....

;)

John

smee said:
Rupp said:
I'm with you on the changes. It slipped up on me without me even knowing about it but Michael McSharry called me on it this week and I'm glad he did. The markets are changing so I need to change as well. The old share and share alike days are nearly gone as is witnessed in this thread. I was told I need to get over it and roll with the changes. I'm trying.
He's been assimilated.
Smee,
I had to look that up to be sure what it meant. I guess you're right. Slowly but surely.

Too bad Windows Home Automation developers don't have the same Open Source attitude that has made so many Linux project successful.

As for HS, I seem to keep using it (v.1.7). BUT, I also find myself trialing several other system as well. I think with the upcoming support issues with 1.7, this is a welcome site. I would expect to see HS v.1.7 archive/support sites popping up eventually anyway.

rocco said:
upstatemike said:
I'm not concerned about any of the plugins in question. I'm just worried about an unstable environment where things seem to be shifting with regards to policy, plugin delivery mechanisms, or whatever.
I am not comfortable with the degree to which future support of plugins depends on the relationship between the plugin author and HST. (As a paying customer this should not be my problem).
This is my concern as well.

I bought HomeSeer because it was advertised as an open system. You could download the SDK, and do whatever you like with it.

But HomeSeer has the ability to close it off, with the potential of requiring unlock codes to allow a plug-in access to HomeSeer. It appears to me that they are slowly closing it off, in their attempt to be a 'professional' system.

So HomeSeer no longer feels open to me. When, for whatever reason, I can no longer use my 1.6.150 version, I will look for the new best thing.
Rocco,
Come on now, that is simply not true. HomeSeer is more open now than it has ever been. That's one of the reasons this thread started - remember? You can develop all the non licensed plugin's that you want and HomeSeer can't do anything to prevent you from distributing it or using it. Again how many plugins have most of you guys actually bought? Trust me "again" the sky is not falling.

jwilson56 said:
I am lost.... there is at least 3 different Caller ID plugins... at least two of them are being sold.. one is through HST. I didn't hear anyone complaining about them. Of coarse most came out before the plugin prices went up to a minimum. Lets face it that is when most of the SH#$ hit the fan about plugins and the user community started to crumble.....

What is the deal... the more plugins for HS the better for all of us. I am sure that even if two do basically the same thing, they will have minor differences that will attract or repel people to them or the others.

Come on people... and HST... grow up... this is all starting to sound like a family squable... The world is big enough for some healthy competition from plugin authors.

I would be happy to buy a plugin from any author... either through HST or independant as long as it works.

In fact I don't think the support from a HST plugin has any better support than from an independant.... I am still waiting for a fix on WeatherPlug for HS2.1

So Rupp... when are we going to get HST to fix that?

John
John,
I'll get right on it. ;)

WayneW said:
jhimmel said:
If only it were that simple. ;) I wish that it was true that it was no big deal. But when one author gets publicly accused of theft and then other users are actively prohibited (censored) from posting a url to that authors site, it becomes very complicated and discriminatory.
Wayne,
I know this isn't as flashy as the censorship word you keep posting but AGAIN the reason that Bob can't post his url is in the license page of the HomeSeer bulletin board. This is simple economics or do you have a web page that I can advertise my EBay items on? You can try to sensationalize it as many ways as you can but this is very common on company bulletin boards. Try to advertise your competing products on the CQC bulletin board and see how long that lasts.

WayneW said:
AutomatedOutlet said:
I noticed that not all plugin authors go through HST to distribute/sell their wares.

Yeah, but I think the difference is that if it goes through HS (and they collect their fee), then HomeSeer is providing an implied warranty on the plug-in including support and future updates - right? Am I missing something here?
One would hope you were right, but I think the recent episode of mcsAudrey proves otherwise. My apologies to Michael in advance if I have this wrong, but didn't pulling mcsAudrey from the updater leave people hanging with hardware they couldn't use?
Not if Michael takes the license requirement out of his plugin. I would think that any plugin author would rebuild the plugin and change that one line of code to open up the plugin for free use.

electron said:
This is not about a plugin being free or not, it's about accusing a person with a good reputation of a crime based on false assumptions. On top of that, HST is targeting JUST blade with their 'forum policy' and started censoring his work.
Dan,
Again PLEASE STATE FACTS! No one at HomeSeer( the company) has accused Bob of any such thing. Jim did. That's not HomeSeer. Jim is not part of the HomeSeer company. They are not just targeting Blade's plugins. There have been many posts modified in the past (either deleted or edited) to delete a person who is selling what HomeSeer sells. Again try to go to another BB and post your HA software for sale and see how long it lasts. Enough with the sensationalism please. How in the world are the censoring his work. This is getting better every post. Before we know it Bob will be on the Sopranos "list" all because of a small tiff. Come on guys this is really getting out of hand.

TrOjAn said:
This thread was supposed to help EVERYONE using Homeseer... was I naive to try and help others?

TrOjAn
Trojan,
Come on. You're not giving up because of one heated exchange are you. Stick to your guns and do what you feel is right. You've done nothing wrong other than sticky up for a friend so stay the course.

TrOjAn said:

TrOjAn
Trojan,
Come on. You're not giving up because of one heated exchange are you. Stick to your guns and do what you feel is right. You've done nothing wrong other than sticky up for a friend so stay the course.

Greg, I'm sure glad you're active on this board! ;)

Was being serious here!

Rupp:

The question is double standards. It Bob can not post a link to his web site with his plugin for sale then how can Jim. I was just on HS and noticed that he has links in his forums that link to his home page with his plugin which are for sale. If HST is going to make standards it should be applied evenly to everyone.

- Mike

Greg, I'm sure glad you're active on this board!

Was being serious here!

He saw that electron was over 5000 post and needed to catch up. ;) :D

I am just kidding and trying to inject some humor!

- Mike

Back