HomeSeer

gregking

Well, it looks like HS is just about dead. For those that don't know, they recently (a few months back) came out with their HSTouch product. A pre-release promotion was held at the end of November to save $100. Well, weeks and now months have gone by and the product is still in an extremely Beta state with only a couple of minimal releases during this time.

Many of us have posted on the board over the past few weeks asking for any kind of status update on the progress. This was met with silence with the exception of Rupp doing his best to encourage folks to be patient and his attempts to get someone from HST to respond.

We finally got a release in the past couple of days with a few trivial fixes with none of the major issues addressed. Several users posted their disappointment with the release today. This was met with messages being deleted and accounts being blocked.

Please note that while some of the messages were improper, the majority of deleted messages simply contained customer dissatisfaction and indications of the major bugs. In fact, my final post before being banned included an expression of willingness to assist with debug builds, etc. which could help with making the product better. While I had b#t$hed plenty, I had also posted several messages saying that I was fully expecting the product to get there eventually. Of course this was only a few weeks into the HST silence, before patience was completely lost.

This situation is not surprising. HS began its slide from being one of the best supported products with a great community to its current state as HST moved from being a "hobby" to a commercial product. This was their right, but many users noticed the continued degradation in customer appreciation.

A few days ago, a message was posted from HST that indicated they had reduced the company to simply Rich and Marketing Mark, forcing all issues to be addressed by Rich. This on the heels of releasing a major software component. Looks like we have just about reached the end of the road of what was once the best HA software with the best user group on the net.

gk

greg... i haven't seen the post indicating where they reduced the company. can you provide a link to it (assuming you are just banned from posting, not altogether banned from anonymous access)?

I knew this was happening when they killed HSBasic which was adequate for most of my needs with Z-Wave. I finally broke down and bought HSBasic, then a couple of months later they made it "disappear" (buried in the desert, I assume), no support no nothing... :D

Many of us can't afford a $200.00 piece of bloatware, especially in (whats left of...) this economy. Maybe some chance for the "Vera" or if Thresholds stuff ever transitions from Vaporware to something concrete.

This is not good news. Homeseer is one of the last HA platforms that still has strong support for TTS announcements, supporting multiple speaker clients and telephone functions. I don't want to live in a touch screen/cell phone only world!

greg... i haven't seen the post indicating where they reduced the company. can you provide a link to it (assuming you are just banned from posting, not altogether banned from anonymous access)?
If I recall correctly (and the post seems to have been deleted, big surprise), Rick stated that due to the weak economy, HST development was reduced to two people, Rich and Rick. I don't recall seeing that the company was down to two people or anything about Mark's status. But maybe Greg saw a different post or I am recalling wrong. When censorship is common, rumors run wild.

I believe that this is Pete's reply to Rick's deleted post.
http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.php?p=8...ghlight=economy

Wow, did this post come out of left field! HomeSeer has always been a small company with Rich and Rick as the main two (the programmers). With Mark doing the web, marketing and other stuff.

I visit the HomeSeer board 2 to 3 times a day and have seen NO indication that HomeSeer is going bye-bye. Rich did mention that they have scaled back a little due to the economy but in no terms said that they were in trouble.

In fact this is a post about HSTouch coming out of beta this week.
http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=133654

I am definitly not one to start a fight, so I am just asking PLEASE do not start rumors based on speculation.

This board is too good for that kind of stuff.

Thank you.

I also remember seeing the same post as Wayne. It was definitely said that just the 2 of them were programming any more and between that and support requests going from 40-80 per day things were moving very slowly. I don't like censorship or deleting of posts either and as Dan says, it looks they they are 'pulling a Seagate'. Ultimately it will be this hiding and way they are treating their customers that will be their demise, but I wouldn't schedule the funeral just yet. They do have a good product and the world's best support person and cheerleader so if they finally fix their attitudes I think they can weather the storm.

Wow, maybe I shouldn't take the weekends off! :D

For those sucked into this thread by the overly dramatic subject line, we fine and no, we're NOT reduced to just Rich and I. We have no plans to "turn off the lights". We've been around for 10 years and plan to be around for many more. 2008 was our best sales year to date!

Greg - You're obviously upset about being banned from our message board. Give me a call when you get a moment and we'll try to get you happy.

-Mark

I agree that this title is over the top and inaccurate, so I sent a message to Greg asking him to update the title. Until I get a response from Greg, I changed the title and description of this thread, since search engines (and other websites) use CT as a news source, and an inaccurate title like this could cause financial harm to HST.

First, I think I got names mixed up, in that it was Rick and Rich left, and not Rich and Mark.

But other than that, everything I said was factual. HST was virually silent for the past 2 months and many of us were begging for status. Many threads were created attempting to get some kind of progress information but they went unanswered. Also, I recently posted a poll requesting satisfaction of support. Most of the posts or the entire threads were deleted. Facts. As usual there were a few over the top posts, but most were simply statements of disappointment in the silence from the company and descriptions of the major bugs. Again, facts.

Last night there were several posts to a thread responding to the latest release which had only a few trivial fixes. Many of us expressed our feelings toward this release (again w/o any info on the status of addressing the major bugs). Most "negative" posts in this thread were deleted. Fact.

Finally, I was banned from the board for stating that I was disappointed in functionality in the latest build. I made an analogy to fixing the radio when the transmission is falling out. I ended the post with another message stating that many of us would be willing to help with debug builds, etc. This was not only met with continued silence, but with deletion and being banned. Fact. Ya'll can form your own opinion as to what is going on over there based on the actions over the past few months.

gk

Just a quick update on HS. It appears that sanity has returned and my account was restored w/o my asking. I posted a message of thanks to them for that and wanted to post a similar message here.

Also, it looks like they are finally starting to respond to the threads. For now, that's all most of us were asking for.

Now, we still expect a release-level product pretty soon, given that we paid for it nearly 2 months ago and we still only have a poorly operational beta, but at least active responses will help calm the masses.

gk

This post wouldn't have come out of left field if you had been reading the HSTouch forum. We have had numerous threads attempting to get info for nearly a month and until recently they weren't being deleted. Over the past week or so, it finally got to a point that people were getting fed up with the silence. The final straw was the latest build that had few fixes. This triggered more negativity, resulting in a house-cleaning of all "negative" posts, so you won't see much of the history that got us to this point.

It's often a good indication of a company's status when they take your money, don't provide the expected product, and then go silent. Given this and the post from HST that they were being affected by the economy made my conclusion very logical.

gk

Wow, did this post come out of left field! HomeSeer has always been a small company with Rich and Rick as the main two (the programmers). With Mark doing the web, marketing and other stuff.

I visit the HomeSeer board 2 to 3 times a day and have seen NO indication that HomeSeer is going bye-bye. Rich did mention that they have scaled back a little due to the economy but in no terms said that they were in trouble.

In fact this is a post about HSTouch coming out of beta this week.
http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=133654

I am definitly not one to start a fight, so I am just asking PLEASE do not start rumors based on speculation.

This board is too good for that kind of stuff.

Thank you.

gregking,

I don't use any Homeseer products and rarely browse their Support forum ... so I know nothing about the situation you've described. Your recent post (12:31PM) is compelling and indicates Homeseer may not be handling the current situation to everyone's satisfaction.

I don't believe anyone enjoys having their posts censored but it is probably a right they reserve. Similar allegations have been made about TechMall/Smarthome/Insteon and it doesn't portray a nice picture ... but it's their sandbox and they set the rules.

We're all thankful for Dan keeping Cocoontech a safe, "neutral territory", where we can retreat from a manufacturer's Support forum and air our grievances in a virtually "censorship free" environment. CT's forums are filled with people who'll turn a sympathetic ear to problems. We all know what we need to do (and not to) in our posts to keep CT a censorship-free forum.

I suspect you were royally PO'd when you crafted the original title to this post. It was great for drawing attention but, after reading the content of your post, not entirely accurate. Paraphrasing Mark Twain, "Reports of Homeseer's death are greatly exaggerated". Let's keep those topic titles "real".

I think your post got Macromark's attention and, hopefully, he'll address your concerns. Please let us know how things work out.

We're all thankful for Dan keeping Cocoontech a safe, "neutral territory", where we can retreat from a manufacturer's Support forum and air our grievances in a virtually "censorship free" environment. CT's forums are filled with people who'll turn a sympathetic ear to problems. We all know what we need to do (and not to) in our posts to keep CT a censorship-free forum.

Dan runs a very tight ship here. Very little inappropriate posts.

He only censors when we stray OT, discussing Dan's interests in wearing inappr

Last edited by Dan (electron) 1-26-09 1:02PM

:)

Back