Honeywell Vista 20P 4219 expander board error

I have a new 20p with 2 4219 expander boards addressed as 7 (107) and 8 (108)  When I open any connection, the panel displays a check 107 fault with no chime or alarm.  I suspect that the board is bad.

I set the dip switches according to the instructions.  1 and 8 on and 2-7 to "7" for zones 9-16.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

John

JohnDennis said:
I have a new 20p with 2 4219 expander boards addressed as 7 (107) and 8 (108)  When I open any connection, the panel displays a check 107 fault with no chime or alarm.  I suspect that the board is bad.

I set the dip switches according to the instructions.  1 and 8 on and 2-7 to "7" for zones 9-16.

Any suggestions?

The address is set with DIP Switches 2-6.

Do you have EOL resistors on the zones? Switch 7 selects whether or not you have EOL resistors in place. I believe that if it is ON, it indicates no EOL resistors. When OFF, it indicates 2K EOL resistors are present.  In any case, whatever you have it set to, try reversing it and see if that helps.

JohnDennis said:
I do believe that I miss understood the instructions.  I will turn 7 to off.  Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

The instructions aren't very clear on how to set switch 7.  On older 4219s, there was no EOL option (and only 5 switches). You had to use EOLs.

On newer 4219s, switch 7 allows EOLs to be configured.  But the instructions don't tell you how to set the switch.  It just says "Not Used, Leave ON."   That would lead me to think that it should be ON if you do have EOLs.  But several web postings I have read say the opposite, that it should be OFF if EOLs are present. 

Let us know whether changing switch 7 solves the problem and whether you have EOLs installed or not.

We are all right, at least partially.

On the newer looking 4219, dip switch 7 differentiates between normally closed and EOL. On one of mine, position 7 is not used but must be set to on or it will not work. Both of these are green and look identical except the printing and stickers.

Oddly, both boards have the same number SA4219-1  The normal one has this number on a white decal.  The strange one has it printed in black in large letters on the circuit board itself.  The 3x5 decals that came with the boards did list the correct settings, i had just assumed they were the same.

Thanks for the advice, it now seems to work perfectly. I now have 24 zones and 4 relays to play with.  The next step is to hook up the AD2USB so that my Raspberry Pi running Homeseer can see the alarm system and text and email reports to my phone about alarm conditions and exactly which zone was breached.  The relays or Homeseer will turn on the exterior lighting. In the event of a fire alarm, Homeseer will turn on some interior lighting.

JohnDennis said:
We are all right, at least partially.

On the newer looking 4219, dip switch 7 differentiates between normally closed and EOL. On one of mine, position 7 is not used but must be set to on or it will not work. Both of these are green and look identical except the printing and stickers.

Oddly, both boards have the same number SA4219-1  The normal one has this number on a white decal.  The strange one has it printed in black in large letters on the circuit board itself.  The 3x5 decals that came with the boards did list the correct settings, i had just assumed they were the same.

Thanks for the advice, it now seems to work perfectly. I now have 24 zones and 4 relays to play with.  The next step is to hook up the AD2USB so that my Raspberry Pi running Homeseer can see the alarm system and text and email reports to my phone about alarm conditions and exactly which zone was breached.  The relays or Homeseer will turn on the exterior lighting. In the event of a fire alarm, Homeseer will turn on some interior lighting.

Interesting... did the 4219 boards come with different sets of instructions?  I've never seen a version that explains that switch 7 controls the presence EOL resistors.  Just comments from users on several forum web sites.

Glad you got it working, though.

RAL said:
Interesting... did the 4219 boards come with different sets of instructions?  I've never seen a version that explains that switch 7 controls the presence EOL resistors.  Just comments from users on several forum web sites.

Glad you got it working, though.
Yes, the boards came with different instructions and labels.  My mistake was assuming the instructions were identical.

Back