Hooked up ELk to UPB and ramp rates changed!?!!?!

thewireguy

Need some help everyone........ I have about 15 UBP switches on my system and everything was working perfect untill i hooked it up to the ELK....

My ramp rates have changed only when i have the UBP programmer hooked up to my M1xsp...... the defalt fade rate is 3.3 seconds and when the ELK is hooked up the switchs fade for about 1 second then snap on..... Any one have any ideas?.....

thanks

thewireguy

So what you are saying is if you use the switch manually or thru the test function in UPStart then the light fades up normally, but if you hook the CIM to the XSP and control a light via Elk then the light snaps as you described?

If so, I have never seen that behavior, but it would tell me the switches are ok and it is something with the config in Elk. First thing to make sure is that the M1XSP is configured properly for UPB as described on page 12 of the manual:

Setting up the M1XSP and the M1 to communicate with UPB
1. Install the ELK-M1XSP per the instructions on page 3. Be sure to enroll the device into the M1.
2. Connect the female end of the supplied 9-pin serial cable to the M1XSP and the male end to the UPB Computer Interface
Module "CIM".
3. Set the MODE Jumpers on the M1XSP as follows: S4*="1" (UP), S5="1" (UP), S6="1" (UP), S7="0" (DN), S8="1" (UP).
NOTE: Some units do not have jumper S4.
4. Set the M1XSP Jumper JP3="232". The position of BAUD jumpers S1,S2,S3 does not matter.
5. Power up all the devices.
6. Program the M1 Lighting device attributes utilizing the ElkRP software. Only the specific devices to be used for UPB need to
be programmed. For individual addresses program M1 Lighting devices: 1-192 "Format=Serial Expander" and "Type=
Dimmer" (Type may also be programmed as "On/Off Switch" if the device isn’t dimmable). For the link addresses
program M1 Lighting devices: 193-256 as "Format= Serial Expander", "Type=On/Off Switch".

Most important there is step 3, the switch settings. Then in your lighting definitions, they need to be setup like in step 6.

Sorry, thats all I can think of right now off the top of my head.

Does this happen when you use the local switch control, or when you set the level with the Elk?

I've seen something similar, where I use links, but it's because I have the Elk set the light level to be the same as what the link is set to when it sees the link activated. Like this . . .

1) UPB switch activates link 100
light 1 goes to level 50
light 2 goes to level 60
2) Elk sees link 100 activated
Elk calls automation rule to set . . light 1 to 50, light 2 to 60

(doing double work right? why? . . . .)

otherwise Elk doesn't know that lights 1 and 2 have been changed because Elk doesn't understand what link 100 means to lights 1 and 2's levels. Even if you set the switch to report level after changing, it doesn't report its level if it changes via links.

Now, if I happen to not set my elk correctly, for example light 2 is level 70 in elk, but 60 in UPB the light level will do a little dance between 60 and 70, sometimes it will go to full or zero in between. And, since ELk hasn't implemented the ramp rates, it will usually be done at the 'snap' or default level

If you really mess it up, you can even get a loop going where the light oscilates between different levels (yeah, that was cool)

Now . . if Elk knew what lights were affected by link 'x' , either by importing the UPStart data file, or possibly by being able to query the light status, I wouldn't need to set the light level a second time in Elk only for the purpose of updating Elk.

The problem is when i tap once on the top rocker local load it ramps for about 1 second then snaps on... this is random some lights do it and others don't... my links work fine when i use them from a button or thought the ELk......... disconect the ELK everthing is fine

Any rules that have a reference to this light?

You might have someone listen to the PIM module connected to the XSP when you turn the light on and see if they hear that faint 'buzz' sound these things make when they transmit - or look for the light on the side- to see if it is transmitting anything.

Also, in UPStart, does the switch have anything configured on the transmit tab for single-pressed top button?

Later -
Frank

frankdr said:
Now . . if Elk knew what lights were affected by link 'x' , either by importing the UPStart data file, or possibly by being able to query the light status, I wouldn't need to set the light level a second time in Elk only for the purpose of updating Elk.
I have asked Elk for this feature multiple times with no responses. All we can do is keep throwing out squeeks!!

Back