How my cameras just saved me $300!

ver0776

I had my new landscaper (Silverlawn in KS http://www.silverlawn.com/) come out to give me a bid on laying some paving stones on my porch which was already prepped for them. He sent about a 22-year old boy to come bid it. He looked at the work and quickly said "oh, that is no problem, you have all of the supplies and tools. I can knock that out for $100" He came two days later and did the work in 1 hour and 45minutes. Not a great deal, but I was happy with it.

This morning I get a $400 bill. I call the company and talk to the boss (Dave Woodring), he says it is what I was quoted and it was fair and I had to pay it. I explain the guy quoted me exacly $100 and that it took less than 2 hours using my own packer, levels etc. He argued and fought with me over it, had me talk to the guy who did the work, threatened small claims court and everything. I asked the laborer: "You did see the cameras, right?" He said yes and still argued.

Then the boss says the guy was just on break an came back later and relaid them. I was really steaming at this point an explained that I have 24-hour survellience of the entire property at 30-fps and I will go check to see whether he came back. I confirmed that people were arriving as he left, he never returned and that he was lying.

The owner confessed the problem at that point and said the laborer billed him 7 hours for the job and wanted to reach a comprimise price. I told him to f' himself and the price is $100 and a penny more would be criminal and I would gladly accept his inventation to court and would destroy him with my rock solid evidence.

He accepted this and called it good.

Without my cameras I would have been raked over the coals. So there are other types of theft other than just being broken into and robbed and we have to be open minded when it comes to the value and benefits of security and camera systems. This saved me $300 and exposed a thief. My $150 diginet card and the $60 cameras in the front were paid off by this one little incident alone.

Vaughn
I feel safe in my virtual crib =)

One of many many reasons I say cameras that aren't recorded are about worthless. Glad it pulled off a good save for you!

Also, never authorize/implement a verbal contract unless you know the people well or have done business with them in the past! :( If you did have to go to court, I'm curious on how your evidence would have held up as you were basically showing a "lack" of appearance, something that could have easily been "fixed" on a video.

Also, never authorize/implement a verbal contract unless you know the people well or have done business with them in the past! :( If you did have to go to court, I'm curious on how your evidence would have held up as you were basically showing a "lack" of appearance, something that could have easily been "fixed" on a video.

Not sure how court would have played out. The footage clearly shows every second of his work from start to finish and shows Amy, Liz and myself arriving at the end of his 1.5 hour session, shows me move my car backinto the driveway and then shows the shadows of the sun passing over clear into the night. I think it would be impossible to say he showed up again and did more work with no gaps in my coverage. 2 cameras show him, the driveway, etc. A 3rd shows the street, where he parked and even passing traffic. Especially when I called them out asking what time he claims to have came back, Dave was like never mind that lets end this hehe.

Every second of effort put into the job was on tape, and at 30fps you can watch it in slow motion. I have never really tried to doctor any footage, so not sure how feasable it it. I know it is all timestamped and watermarked an the entire month of history is untouched. Diginet is considered professional software and am sure they have some methods to show editing, etc.

Even if it did not go as planned in court, I think it was obvious enough that the laborer lied and that I was confident enough that the threat of court would have been accepted as my case was at least strong enough not to be bullied out of fear of going to court.

I also showed my co-worker, who referred me to SilverLawn, the footage as soon as I got to work. He has just given them thousands of dollars in buisness, so I have someone else to call BS and explain the situation to them, although it is not needed now. That coworker is familiar with my "anything BUT greedy" nature, my camera setup, my HA setups and was aware of the bidding, work and even came over within 30 minutes of the work being completed and looked at it. So even outside of court, he stood to lose business over the incident and the video not only shows that work, but validates the presence of all of my witnesses.

None of this would have even been considered if I had not had the footage of the work... I would just be another victum of the unregulated contractor business.

Vaughn

too bad your gun turret wasn't active at the time...

Good call! I told them I better never see them on my property again, so maybe they will get a taste of the turret next time! heheh

Honestly, I was on the night shift from home that week and was there the entire time he was working and the rest of the day, night, etc. So I am real suprised he would lie about his hours worked...

Vaughn

Not sure how court would have played out. The footage clearly shows every second of his work from start to finish and shows Amy, Liz and myself arriving at the end of his 1.5 hour session, shows me move my car backinto the driveway and then shows the shadows of the sun passing over clear into the night. I think it would be impossible to say he showed up again and did more work with no gaps in my coverage. 2 cameras show him, the driveway, etc. A 3rd shows the street, where he parked and even passing traffic. Especially when I called them out asking what time he claims to have came back, Dave was like never mind that lets end this hehe.

Every second of effort put into the job was on tape, and at 30fps you can watch it in slow motion. I have never really tried to doctor any footage, so not sure how feasable it it. I know it is all timestamped and watermarked an the entire month of history is untouched. Diginet is considered professional software and am sure they have some methods to show editing, etc.

Even if it did not go as planned in court, I think it was obvious enough that the laborer lied and that I was confident enough that the threat of court would have been accepted as my case was at least strong enough not to be bullied out of fear of going to court.

I also showed my co-worker, who referred me to SilverLawn, the footage as soon as I got to work. He has just given them thousands of dollars in buisness, so I have someone else to call BS and explain the situation to them, although it is not needed now. That coworker is familiar with my "anything BUT greedy" nature, my camera setup, my HA setups and was aware of the bidding, work and even came over within 30 minutes of the work being completed and looked at it. So even outside of court, he stood to lose business over the incident and the video not only shows that work, but validates the presence of all of my witnesses.

None of this would have even been considered if I had not had the footage of the work... I would just be another victum of the unregulated contractor business.

Vaughn

Yes, after that explanation of the camera system, I would say you would have a great case that would hold up in court! :)
The contractor business must be getting pretty shadey indeed. Clark County School District here just hired an outfit to install IP security cameras with wireless internet access at their remote sites (limited power/network) where they are building schools and various buildings MAINLY to keep an eye on contractors (time. delivery of materials, etc...).

Vaughn,

What kind of security camera system are you using that you can record that much data?

Is it a Round Robin style? Or do you just archive the data?

--Dan

IVB said:
too bad your gun turret wasn't active at the time...

I was thinking the same thing!!!

Vaughn,

What kind of security camera system are you using that you can record that much data?

Is it a Round Robin style? Or do you just archive the data?

--Dan

Yeah, I'm kind of interested too. After just hearing your story, I'm going to add cameras to my list of hardware needed!

With the AverMedia software, you can set to "record on motion", and it'll only dump frames that have changed pixels.

My puny-ass 300GB HD can hold months of data for 5 cameras.

With the AverMedia software, you can set to "record on motion", and it'll only dump frames that have changed pixels.

My puny-ass 300GB HD can hold months of data for 5 cameras.

Do you have a dedicated machine just for the cameras? Also, are you recording audio in any of the areas?

Thanks for the info!

nope, my CQC server does double-duty. No audio recordings, mainly because of the legal hassles. (illegal in CA to record both audio & video without posted warnings & consent, which defats the purpose).

I have some calculators that are supposed to take everything into account and provide a reasonably accuratestorage time. Its all crap, none of them can predict how much motion you will have as that totally depends on the camera placement and whats going on around your home. For most home users that can record to MPEG4 (or h.264) I suggest around 200GB if you are recording to MPEG2 then 1TB, if you have HD CCTV then 1TB per cam per day. :) I'm not saying anything... but that last line will change here pretty soon. Although HD CCTV is more expensive having 1 or 2 in the right places can really be cost effective as they provide soo much more facial recognition over soo much more area. It allows you to have that 3mm (or equivelent ~90* FOV) and get useful video.

You see this specific example any POS CCTV system would have worked... You ALREADY know who the guy was, it's totally different when it's a strange / unknown face. When you need to catch someone you don't know it is much more difficult to ID them with cheaper or poorly designed systems.

Most folks doing recording seem to use analog cameras with a PC capture card. Was wondering if there are any good recording options for Panasonic IP cameras (besides the software Panasonic sells)?

Back