How to control Russound CAM6.6 from iPod Touch

All,

Anyone using VSPE as the IP-to-serial bridge may have encountered problems changing sources, getting display messages, etc. The following fix may alleviate these problems.

When creating the TcpServer device in VSPE there's a button labeled Settings under the Source Serial Port drop-down. Click this button to access the Serial Port Settings dialog. The value for ReadIntervalTimeout defaults to -1 (no timeout). Change this value to 250 (250 milliseconds), then press OK and Finish.

Please let me know if this doesn't seem to fix the problems.

Thanks once again to icellama for such a great app!

Enjoy!

I have been threatening to create this app myself for about a year -- thank you for doing it for me!

First off, I'm using a startech converter and it seems to be working fine. (http://www.startech.com/item/NETRS2321E-1-Port-RS-232-422-485-Serial-over-IP-Ethernet-Device-Server.aspx ) Just had to set it to 19200 and then also found that enabling the "packet mode of serial input" improved reliability.

1 Problem: I have 2 Russound receivers -- a CAV6.6 and a CAM6.6. It seems that I can only control the first 6 zones, and not the second 6. Any ideas how to overcome this? Or, can that be included in upcoming versions?

Thanks again for creating this!

1 Problem: I have 2 Russound receivers -- a CAV6.6 and a CAM6.6. It seems that I can only control the first 6 zones, and not the second 6. Any ideas how to overcome this? Or, can that be included in upcoming versions?

Depending on the app store rush(due to the iPad), I'll have this ready in about 2 weeks. Below is the planned roadmap. I've gotten some requests about supporting other hardware platforms, and I am open to the idea, but will need revenue to offset the cost of the hardware(I don't really need more than 1 controller). Nuvo is definitely on the radar, at least in terms of basic support.

One version every week or so is the best I can do. Please continue to offer feedback if you want something. I can also add you to the Beta for the 2 controller version, PM me if you are interested.

Version 0.90(available next week)

-support for viewing/setting presets for all 6 tuner banks on Russound tuners -- Screenshots below
-added a pause button
-more reliable communications and message processing

Version 0.95(available ~2 weeks)

-Support for 2 controllers(12 zones, 6 sources)
-Additional metadata support for iPod bridge
-iPad compatible(same interface, just resized)

Version 1.0(available in about 3 weeks)

-New user interface to take advantage of the iPad

Screenshots for Version 0.90

Screenshot2.PNG
Screenshot1.PNG

Depending on the app store rush(due to the iPad), I'll have this ready in about 2 weeks. Below is the planned roadmap. I've gotten some requests about supporting other hardware platforms, and I am open to the idea, but will need revenue to offset the cost of the hardware(I don't really need more than 1 controller). Nuvo is definitely on the radar, at least in terms of basic support.

One version every week or so is the best I can do. Please continue to offer feedback if you want something. I can also add you to the Beta for the 2 controller version, PM me if you are interested.

Version 0.90(available next week)

-support for viewing/setting presets for all 6 tuner banks on Russound tuners -- Screenshots below
-added a pause button
-more reliable communications and message processing

Version 0.95(available ~2 weeks)

-Support for 2 controllers(12 zones, 6 sources)
-Additional metadata support for iPod bridge
-iPad compatible(same interface, just resized)

Version 1.0(available in about 3 weeks)

-New user interface to take advantage of the iPad

Screenshots for Version 0.90

View attachment 3190
View attachment 3192

Wow! I am a fellow Mac software developer and was (as a hobby) going to do something similar to this app. Hopefully yours will work for me instead :) One question - I have the Russound MCA-C5 series controller. Does your app work with this controller? I have an iPad now and would love to use it to control my zones. Also, does the software allow control of XM RNET devices? Two of my zones are the Russound XM Dual Tuner unit...

Thanks!

Bill

Hey guys,
As a Russound dealer, I must say I'm pretty impressed with what you guys have done here. I was searching for a "hack" for the ASUS router to make it work with Russound RNET and ran across this thread.

I'm curious, as users of this system, would you be comfortable reselling this as a solution to someone else? Namely a client. Like most of you, I feel the TCH1 is a little overpriced at $500-600 and I'm looking for a more cost-effective solution (although, compared to their TS-2 and multiple keypads, it's actually a bargain.)

If it's simply a setup issue, I'm perfectly comfortable setting up a networking solution to provide a robust hardware solution for control. Advanced home networking and connectivity is one of our specialties. I'm more interested in LlamaPanel as a control solution. Is it reliable? Is it user-friendly? Any issues I should be aware of? Etc.

On a side note, Ice, would it be possible to add a little customization for dealers? Maybe just a "hidden" setup panel that allows us to add our company name and website/number to the home screen, etc. Something simple. I know the idea here is to keep this simple and clean, but a small dealer customization would put you more in our favor.

Great work, and I look forward to hearing from anyone currently using the system.

This looks great! Thanks for all the effort. I wish we had more support for the russound.

Any chance of a windows or android version? Can someone send me a copy? I don't have an iphone/ipad, but would like to try it on a iphone emulator for windows.

Thanks!

Hi Iceman,

Nice work.

I have an ELKM1 with an IP232 interface talking to the Russound CAV 6.6 on the Network. I have Jason's EKeypad pro which has had the Russound control coming soon since the product was released. I have spoken to Jason and he has had problems getting command protocol and of course is getting zero support from Russound because they have a competing product.

Anyway I have been hanging to be able to control the Russound via my iPhone will your application play nicely with a ELKRM > IP232 > CAV 6.6 connected as I still want to use the ELKRM. I believe the IP232 interface support up to 12 sessions does your application support the IP232 interface in multi application mode?

I like the level of implementation on your interface be interested if it was intented to work with my configuration.

Regards,

Fleetz

Hey guys,

Nice work on the iPhone app. Any chance we could get source to customize the app for iPad? Or better yet do you plan on releasing something for it or have you given up on the russound cav?

Iceman,

So I am jumping in very late in the game here. The only thing the setup your app provides is lacking (for my needs) is AirPlay compatibility. How feasible would it be to add a usb audio card to the router being used in this setup and have that provide AirPlay? I know that there would need to be some sort of software download (Bonjour, Shairport, etc.) to the router itself... which I really don't know how to do or if it can be done without killing the routers functionality as ... well, a router.
In my mind this would be the best possible solution! Iphone control of all 6 zones and sources with your app as well as AirPlay simply by adding a router (if an existing router can be used and still function as a router that would be even better!)

Thanks

Back