[How-To] Setting up port forwarding

electron

Administrator
Staff member
Setting Up Port Forwarding For Your Linksys Router/Firewall
by: BraveSirRobbin

The Linksys Firewall/Router enables the internal “LAN†side of your network to be isolated/protected from the external “WAN†side of the Internet. Thus your home will only have one external IP address that is shared by all the internal computers in your home. When you set up a web server on a computer on the LAN side (such as Homeseer) you select a port number to run that web server on.

When you need to access this web server from an external (outside your home) internet connection, you need to know the IP address of the Linksys Firewall/Router, plus have port forwarding set up so the Linksys box knows what computer to route the port number request to.

The Linksys box should already be connected between your cable or DSL box and your computers. All of the below instructions should be run on the internal LAN computer that you plan on running your web server on for simplicity. It is also assumed that no modifications have previously been performed on the Linksys setup menus.

Open Internet Explorer and type the default IP address of your Linksys router (http://192.168.1.1) and click on the “Setup†tab. You should see the following menu:

image002.jpg

Usually you will leave these menus as shown. If you have a “hard†IP address from your Internet provider you would select such in the “WAN" Connection Type.
Select the “Password†tab. You should see the menu below:

image004.jpg

Enter a password that will be used to access this menu system (so no one else can then make changes on your Linksys system).
Select the “Status†tab. You should see the menu below:

image006.jpg

Write down your WAN IP Address and your WAN DNS IP Addresses.
Select the “DHCP†tab. You should see the following menu:

image008.jpg

Enter your DHCP address as shown in this example.

In this case I have all the computers set to “Hard IP†address from 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.199. If a computer is connected to the LAN that is set up for DHCP (automatically select an IP address) it will use 192.168.1.200. The next computer set up for DHCP will then use 192.168.1.201, etc…

You should use a hard IP address for your Homeseer PC so it always maintains the same IP address (important for the next “Port Forwarding†step). In this example set your Homeseer PC to internal IP address of 192.168.1.100.

You should also enter these DNS IP's in your PC's Network Properties TCP/IP settings as well as the Linksys IP for the Gateway.

Click on the “Advanced†tab, then on the “Forwarding" tab. You should see the menu below:

image010.jpg

You must enable port forwarding to be able to view you web site from outside your home on the Internet. When you view your site from an external Internet connection you would open up explorer and enter the URL address http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3000 (your Internet “WAN†IP plus the port number you selected on the Homeseer Web Page setup).

For this example port forwarding will enable an external 3000 port request to be routed to the correct PC on the LAN side that is running Homeseer (in this case the Homeseer PC is IP address 192.168.1.100).

Select and enable the appropriate port forwarding information for the Homeseer port address. As you can see in the example above, another port is needed for the WebCameras (in this case it is 4000).

Click on Apply and exit Internet Explorer’s Linksys setup menus.

You should now have the capability of accessing your Homeseer web page via an external internet connection by typing in the following URL address in Internet Explorer (or any other web browser) http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3000 where the x’s represent your Linksys WAN IP.

If you would like to test this address on any PC which resides on your internal “LAN†address (i.e. PC’s inside your home) you must be able to resolve this address since you machines can not “see†your Linksys WAN IP. To do this you must modify your “HOSTS†file that resides in your C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc directory.

To modify this file go to that directory and right click on the HOSTS file. Select “Open with†and then “Choose Programâ€. You should see the menu below:

image012.jpg

Select “Notepad†as the program to open this file with. You will then see the text contents of the hosts file.

You must resolve your internal LAN IP to the external address of your web server as shown in this sample host’s file:

image014.jpg

In this example your Homeseer machine will be able to “resolve†your external web address so it will go to the proper Homeseer machine (in this case 192.168.1.100). Remember xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx represents your Linksys WAN IP address.

Save and exit this host file editing session.

You should now be able to type in your Homeseer external web address (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:3000) on your Homeseer computer (192.168.1.100) and see the default Homeseer web page.

Comments, corrections, additions are welcome! I would like this to be an easy to understand and easy to follow How-to. Only your input will make this document better.

Thanks,

BSR

BSR

I am attempting to set up port forwarding but I have been unable to figure out the requested password.

I input http://192.168.1.1 into my browser and I my Lynksys requests a sign-on name and password. I have never attempted this before so the password has never been set. Is there a default sign-on and password? (I have no idea where the documentation is.) Could someone have done this from outside?
I was wondering if you had and thoughts on this.

default password is usually admin (username blank), newer linksys routers use admin as the username and admin as the password.

I think the default password is something like "USER". I can't remember. What is your specific Linksys model number (it should be something like BEFSR***)?

Maybe their documentation is available on-line. If not, I can search through my drawers here and probably be able to find mine and see if I can jog my memory.

I also know you can set the Linksys to its default factory settings by pressing and holding in the reset button for a while (I think till lights turn orange or something like that).

Let me know what you come up with and what you would like me to do!

BSR

Edit: I see Electron and I were typing at the same time. His response (as always) is the correct one over mine! Let us know if you need any additional help!

Back